Maglite v Fenix

Albinoni

Banned
How would you compare Maglite against Fenix and out of the two would you take a Fenix over a Maglite or vice versa, even though Fenix are a Chinese company, you'll still support them over an American Maglite or would you support Mag?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one you would pick for political reasons is not related to how you would compare them for technical reasons. Technically, Fenix wins hands down...

Politically, US needs to learn how to compete better in the real world market. Personally, I would start focusing more educational funds on developing the excellent and less on bringing up the rear; and make US citizenship a condition for government funded financial aid and tax subsidized tuition at state schools.

Others of course would prefer the opposite. (Ducks head down, now....)

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
Which one you would pick for political reasons is not related to how you would compare them for technical reasons. Technically, Fenix wins hands down...

true like me saying Australians here who prefer a Lexus over Merc has got nothing to do with politics, it's what you like and are happy with.

IcantC

Enlightened
First off Mags are over 30 year old technology... Fenix has advantage of small size and high output.

A modded Mag will still be a thrower(such as a Malkoff dropin) or a great wall of light with OP reflector and run for 3 to 6 hours depending on size. Mags can be used as clubs, are tough, easily replaceable parts, can be made to spit over 1000 lumens with hotwire mods.

Both lights have their uses, what do you need it for?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You could pick either and depending on your intended use / application come away with a solid performer. Both companies have dozens of different models with different price points and strengths. You add to it the host of mag-mods available and its a toss-up from a technical stand-point. A well powered mag will always be a budget thrower, big focus-able reflector... theres no replacement for displacement. Yet the smaller fenix torches are WAY more practical to carry around.

I'd go for the technology and get a Fenix of some sort. Although a 3D mag, with a nichia drop-in will run for weeks (maybe even months), that'd be my first pick as a power-outage backup.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the technology and get a Fenix of some sort. Although a 3D mag, with a nichia drop-in will run for weeks (maybe even months), that'd be my first pick as a power-outage backup.

i want that light....has someone actually made that? wow
Crenshaw

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly in the EDC category I would pick Fenix. As a start I think the minimags need to be redesigned to a smaller 1 AA form.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i want that light....has someone actually made that? wow
Crenshaw

Get a Nite-Ize bulb for C or D cell Mags, then just replace the stock bulb.... But months isn't likely. Over a week might be. You want more than that? Put the bulb into a 6D Mag.

Keep in mind that you're getting increased runtime over output. Head to Target. They carry that bulb.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fenix vs. Maglite?

Considering I have to mod a Maglite with drop-ins from Terralux or Nite-Ize, (or even Maglite's own LEDs) just to get a light that can reasonably compete with Fenix's offerings.... Give you one hint which I'd go for.

As far as politics go.... :thumbsdow

If you want to support an American flashlight maker, there are far better choices than Maglite. And you don't even have to pay Surefire prices.... Inova.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Politics? Communist Chinas government and their comrades in North Korea like you as much as Al Qaeda does.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I'm not getting into politics, since this thread is already devolving into a shooting war. Lighten up, people! Take politics to the cafe please.

Aaaaaanyway, if I wanted a light I KNEW would work, and work for the next 25 years, I would go with the Maglight, with an LED. Yeah, it's stone age. But it will work. If I wanted a bright shiny toy with lots of bells and whistles and which would probably work for a while, I would go with the Fenix.

My reasoning? I have a Maglight that HAS worked for 25 years. I have had three Fenixes, and based on what I've seen in my examinations of them, they just aren't going to be reliable over the long haul. The switching mechanisms are fragile and the lights are overly complex. Of course the long haul is the only way to know, and it's still too early to tell. But that's my take.

Now THAT should take peoples minds off China vs the US and have them flaming me in about 10 seconds. Yay! Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both need improvement the Fenix feels and looks like a ........well....a chinese flashlight and maglite uses outdated lighting. However I will always choose build quality over brightness, thus the reason I love my ARC so much.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both need improvement the Fenix feels and looks like a ........well....a chinese flashlight and maglite uses outdated lighting. However I will always choose build quality over brightness, thus the reason I love my ARC so much.
evidently you havnt touched a T1 yet...?:nana:

maglites with LED have not been proven to work for years on end. Ive been reading that the LEDS fail in the first drop. Incans of course, will fail eventually and have to be replaced

monocrom...i HAVE a 6D mag, its the only serious mag i have...heh heh heh...Mag almost-eternalight anyone?

Crenshaw

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lot of LED Lights today i just bought a Mag 4D for M@g85 mod. It is like a garden hose for you garden or springkler, a must have :) if you are a flashaholic you will endup having a Maglite doing some crazy mods :p:p

that is just my 0.02$

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Get a Nite-Ize bulb for C or D cell Mags, then just replace the stock bulb.... But months isn't likely. Over a week might be. You want more than that? Put the bulb into a 6D Mag.

Keep in mind that you're getting increased runtime over output. Head to Target. They carry that bulb.

My thinking exactly. I exagerated a little :grin2: perhaps, sorry about that. I have however been using a Nuwai with Nichia jumbo LED, single AA cell since 12/7 when I got it. I use it about ~40 munutes a day at work and around the house. It is still going strong on the OEM Duracell it came with. Anyone wanting run-time and an emergency back-up, I would have a hard time not recommending a Nichia powered by AA, C or D cells.

I'll probably drop that night-eyes target LED into an old fulton GI and use that as my emergency back-up. Storm season is here and I am going to be prepared.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compete? Mostly Not.

Fenix = EDC

Maglite = MOD HOST

Need both.

What's next? Which sounds like more fun? T1 or 6 emitter 3D??

-- Alan