MP3 Player Recommendations

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy an mp3 player. It needs to use a memory card, and very preferably Compact Flash since I already have some CF cards. Price range is up to $180. I don't wand a MP3 Cd player, the reason I want a MP3 player is for the smaller size (CD players dont fit too well in pockets). One more question: Do you think the flashlights will get jealous? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought an Iriver mp3 player. It doesen't have a removable memory card but I couldn't be happier. It uses a single AA, which I like over the rechargable batteries(my brother-in-law has a Sony mp3 player with a bad rechargable battery and is having a hard time replacing). The sound is great, it's very lightweight and easy to use. The software that comes with it though does not rip mp3s. Its simply a file manager to get mp3s on your player. Software to rip mp3s will be needed.

cheers,
Kev

GeoffChan

Enlightened
If you have a mac, get yourself an ipod, its syncs great with itunes, ical, and you can download a program that lets you read rss threads, weather and otner news headlines.

The windows and Mac version just differ with the filing system on the ipod and software thats used to sync it. Musicmatch is absolutely afwul. I ran mine under windows for a few hours then went back to running it as hfs and syncing with itunes.

I've heard of linux users able to sync their ipods but its a gray area for me.

my 10GB ipod has 2407 songs with 866mb free.

if your really want a solid state mp3 player, how about this one from Nomad? http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo/

Geoff

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
Geoffchan: What the hell is a mac?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Ipod would be over kill, i don't even have enogh mp3's to fill the thing. The logic I am using is that Media cards will only get cheaper/more storage in the future. I'll lokk into the Axim though.

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Axim, by the way, is actually a Pocket PC. It just happens to play MP3s.

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks guys, I actually found exactly what I wanted on Ebay. CF Card, AA batts. It was the Frontier Labs NEX IIe, and it was on buy it now for 79.99. Looks good and almost all the reaviews I checked out were not only positive, but nearing ecstatic.

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geoffchan said:
Musicmatch is absolutely afwul. I ran mine under windows for a few hours then went back to running it as hfs and syncing with itunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've run both a Mac 10GB and a Windows 20GB under Windows XP using MediaFour's XPlay software. XPlay is simply wonderful. I haven't even tried using MusicMatch with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

www.mediafour.com

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Hi xtan1x,

I had the Nex IIe before and its a nice little CF mp3 player. It has a few minor bugs with some of the firmware versions but overall it does everything ok. I didn't like the way it handles the song order/playlists but I believe there is 3rd party software that helps with this. Another complaint is that it looks and feels cheap but at that price.. can't really complain.

If you have any SD memory cards I recommend the MPIO FL100. Its really small and sleek looking, and has 256MB built in. Supports mp3, wma and unlimited folders, software is easy to use, song order is really easy to do, FM radio including recording and voice recording too. The 3 line LCD is also pretty nice to use and navigate.

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
One of the things you might want to look out for that I myself just discovered after purchasing, and returning, an RCA Lyra is whether or not you need an addition piece of software to "convert" the mp3s to a format that the player will understand. For instance you have to use Musicmatch with a plugin to convert mp3s to mpys on the Lyra. You can't just take an mp3 file and throw it on the memory card otherwise it sounds garbled. There aren't too many players that will just read an mp3 that you throw into it's memory, which is what I like to do. Plus I don't really need 3 or 4 pieces of software that all basically do the same thing just so I can put mp3s on a player. I guess it's a matter of preference.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Nex has gotten some very good reviews. Its main shortcoming IMO is shorter runtime per set of batteries compared to some other units. It's still not bad. Flashaholics must be familiar with this problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Note you can get 1 GB CF cards in the $200 range these days. That's enough to hold a really substantial amount of music in that tiny device. I do think that hard disc units like the iPod make more sense if you don't mind their larger size and lower shock resistance though.

Brock

Flashaholic
xtan1x that is exactly what I am looking for. I have quite a few CF cards and readers on all my machines so that would be the way to go. You will have to let me know what you think of it when you get it.