Buckpuck perfect for dimming?

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Just finallizing my battery trails with a Luxdrive 3021-D-E-1000 that I got from The Led Light a couple of days ago. I mainly wanted to have dimming capability with one led in a M@g setup. The problem is that you need to have 4 cells, AA to D will work or more cells if you have them, up to 32VDC so that should pretty much take care of anyones 6xAA, 9xAA, or 12xAA battery holder to go in a stock, unmodified body.....and that is my goal, no additional need for boring.

The reason I went with the 3021-D-E-1000 was so I could get the optional wiring harness with a dimming switch already wired in and ready to go. $21.10 + 6.95 = $28.05 plus shipping is pretty close to many high quality boards available from taskled, which I will be using for future projects.....drilling one hole vs. soldering 6 or so small wires.....

Some aligator clips, battery holders and I was ready to test in literally less than a minute. So easy hookup is the rule with this setup. As stated above, the only problem willl be drilling hole in the flashlight body and possible additional protection for the plastic dimming switch. I will use the main M@glite switch to control power to the Buckpuck.

Times so far....

4xAA eneloops with full power one gave me less than two hours at a real 1000mA (1014mA on Fluke DMM) before it went dim and direct drive quickly. Eneloops hardly seemed warmer than when I put them in the battery holder.

6xAA eneloops in FM battery holder seemed brighter at startup but I may be blind by now anyway comparing crap. However, it only lasted about 2 and a half hours before rapidly falling off. There would still be enough light to see through a hallway to get out of the house, but not much more.

UPDATE 12/30/2007:

With the FM 9xAA battery holder inplace it lasted right at 4.5 hours at 1000mA before rapidly running out of juice. Just for kicks I hooked it up to two Cree Q5's for about a minute and it worked nicely too as I would have suspected.

For those wanting to look into this, pictures on the way if I can get time in the garage this afternoon. The goal is to use this device and use nothing else but simple hand tools. I will not break out the lathe or the mill....initially. I believe I will need to make something to protect the potentiometer, other than that, I will use hand tools.

Bob E.

Last edited: