New K2 TFFC emitter how do u do it?

luminata

Enlightened
So I see the new K2 is here. But, it doesnt look the same as the old Luxeons. It is square and it has 4 feet 2 on each side for pos. and neg. ?? How do you mount this sucker ? Does anyone know the dimensions and whether it will fit in the same area as the Luxeons do? and how do you deal with the 4 legs?

TMorita

Enlightened
So I see the new K2 is here. But, it doesnt look the same as the old Luxeons. It is square and it has 4 feet 2 on each side for pos. and neg. ?? How do you mount this sucker ? Does anyone know the dimensions and whether it will fit in the same area as the Luxeons do? and how do you deal with the 4 legs?

The K2 is in the Luxeon family, so it's kinda weird to ask "will it fit in the same area as the Luxeons do". See this webpage:

http://www.lumileds.com/products/luxeon/

The K2 is mounted on a K2 star, just like the Lux I and III are mounted on different Lux I and III stars.

Toshi

luminata

Enlightened
Kinda wierd in an incestual way?

Why is it a wierd question. I guess what I should have said was , can it be used in upgrading a light with an old style Luxeon emitter. Is it the same diameter and the same height? Many have upgraded Luxeon emitters with SSC leds but it required shims and shaving off some of the reflector to get a good focus. I was just wondering if the K2 has the same dimensions as the Luxeons. I do see from their website and the pics the slug appears square as opposed to round of the lux.

I guess I should have asked if it is a direct drop in replacement or will it require modifications like the CREE and SSC require in many /most upgrades?

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
the dome of the K2 TFFC is the same as the high dome of the Lux I or III, but the LED die is recessed a bit lower inside the reflector cup. Another difference is that the body is square and thus you have to insure that the light you are swapping emitters in can accomodate the new shape. Also as a final note, the dual gull wing (4 lead wires, 2 on each side of the emitter) have a shorter length than the gull wings on the Lux I, III, or V. So basically you have to fiddle around with a method to fit the K2s leads onto the same contact board that used to be used for an older 2 lead luxeon. other than that it should conform with most existing luxeon optics (you may need to see if your light can accommodate an McR xxJ reflector) since the die is sitting lower in the reflector. Other than that, the new K2, as other members have said has awesome Color rendition and is much brighter than the older LXK2-PW14-U000 or V000.