Another jazzed T1 owner

Mike89

Enlightened
Just got my TI today. It's such a trip how each Fenix light just keeps getting better and better. I remember getting the L2D thinking this is as good as it gets. Then I got the P3D Q5 and again thought, this is as good as it gets. Now I get the T1. Damn, I now have to say the same thing again. This T1 has quickly become my favorite light. Light output simply amazing. The tint of this one is a bit warmer (not quite as white, but just slightly more towards yellow) than my P3D Q5, making it not only brighter but the light color is more 'usable' (my eyes can see more clearly). I'm so glad to get back to only having two modes. It's perfect for my uses. This light throws further than my P3D Q5 (with smooth reflector btw) and the spill is cleaner and clearer.

I did not have any luck as some stated they did on removing the head to remove the clip. It simply could not be done (without probably ruining it or scuffing up the light pretty bad). I didn't want to take the chance. The way it slopes behind the head, there is nothing to get any kind of leverage on to twist it. I did as some did and just broke off the clip. If I ever get the head off, I'll just remove the rest of it then.

All I can say is 'wow'. This light exceeded my expectations. I like it so much I'm going to buy two more for the company I work for the night shift people where they need a light both for outside and inside. This light will be perfect for this. A year ago I had bought two Lowes 2C Taskforce lights for this and after a year, they are both junk. They just didn't hold up to daily use. There is not going to be that problem with this light.

Happy as a flashlight clam. No regrets.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my TI today. It's such a trip how each Fenix light just keeps getting better and better. I remember getting the L2D thinking this is as good as it gets. Then I got the P3D Q5 and again thought, this is as good as it gets. Now I get the T1. Damn, I now have to say the same thing again. This T1 has quickly become my favorite light. Light output simply amazing. The tint of this one is a bit warmer (not quite as white, but just slightly more towards yellow) than my P3D Q5, making it not only brighter but the light color is more 'usable' (my eyes can see more clearly). I'm so glad to get back to only having two modes. It's perfect for my uses. This light throws further than my P3D Q5 (with smooth reflector btw) and the spill is cleaner and clearer.

I did not have any luck as some stated they did on removing the head to remove the clip. It simply could not be done (without probably ruining it or scuffing up the light pretty bad). I didn't want to take the chance. The way it slopes behind the head, there is nothing to get any kind of leverage on to twist it. I did as some did and just broke off the clip. If I ever get the head off, I'll just remove the rest of it then.

All I can say is 'wow'. This light exceeded my expectations. I like it so much I'm going to buy two more for the company I work for the night shift people where they need a light both for outside and inside. This light will be perfect for this. A year ago I had bought two Lowes 2C Taskforce lights for this and after a year, they are both junk. They just didn't hold up to daily use. There is not going to be that problem with this light.

Ill bet that there are numerous people out there who are sick off all these T1 threads.... But, I am really glad you like your light as much as I like mine.

Welcome to the powernoodle clip removal club!

Mike89

Enlightened
Welcome to the powernoodle clip removal club!

Yep! It was either that or deal with the clip. I couldn't, it just got in my way. Much better now.

As far as sick of the T1 threads, this is a flashlight forum. I imagine as more experience this light, there will be more still (I had to scroll a few pages to see a thread on it so I figured I'd just start another one). It's just a great light and going to be very hard to beat (probably until Fenix comes up with their next one, heh heh)! Besides the light output of this beast, it has the best looking beam of all my Fenix lights.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Olive finish....feels very..dare i say it..surefire..!
i love this light too, true there are alot of threads about it, but i think its a testiment to how good a light it is despite its shortcomings.

BTW Mike, on mine the head was already off, and it looks like its blue loctite, get a strap wrench, and one good twist will break the blue locite, and it will stay that way, the threads will not be affected, and the head will be removable...

This is assuming its blue loctite like mine..

Crenshaw

Mike89

Enlightened
Light cutting out constantly on both of them. Move the lights slightly while walking and light cut off and on. Got tired of always fiddling with them trying to get a good connection.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
the more of these t1 threads i read, the more i feel wierd about myself...first of all , i use the clip to turn the light between high mode and low mode, and now it helps me turn the light on and off as well ever since my t1 turned into a twistie... Ive messed up the switch, and the same thing that happened to the Lowes lights cutting out is also happening to my t1 , so i've jammed the switch in the on position by ripping out its plastic button, and switch the light off by loosening the tailcap instead... It was OK for awhile, but now the switch is cutting out again and i have a feeling that unless i never subject the torch to any kind of acceleration again, the switch might end up in a permenantly off position...

Khaytsus

Enlightened
the more of these t1 threads i read, the more i feel wierd about myself...first of all , i use the clip to turn the light between high mode and low mode, and now it helps me turn the light on and off as well ever since my t1 turned into a twistie... Ive messed up the switch, and the same thing that happened to the Lowes lights cutting out is also happening to my t1 , so i've jammed the switch in the on position by ripping out its plastic button, and switch the light off by loosening the tailcap instead... It was OK for awhile, but now the switch is cutting out again and i have a feeling that unless i never subject the torch to any kind of acceleration again, the switch might end up in a permenantly off position...

For the love of god, can't you contact Fenix Store and ask how much a tail switch will cost to replace?

Mike89

Enlightened
For the love of god, can't you contact Fenix Store and ask how much a tail switch will cost to replace?

No poop! Fix the thing man. Can't be wasting a light like that, it's too good.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Just got my TI today. It's such a trip how each Fenix light just keeps getting better and better. I remember getting the L2D thinking this is as good as it gets. Then I got the P3D Q5 . Now I get the T1. Damn, I now have to say the same thing again. This T1 has quickly become my favorite light. Light output simply amazing. The tint of this one is a bit warmer (not quite as white, but just slightly more towards yellow) than my P3D Q5, making it not only brighter but the light color is more 'usable' (my eyes can see more clearly). I'm so glad to get back to only having two modes. It's perfect for my uses. This light throws further than my P3D Q5 (with smooth reflector btw) and the spill is cleaner and clearer.

All I can say is 'wow'. This light exceeded my expectations.

I find it very amusing I went through the exact same evolution you did L2D to P3D to T1...and again I sure we both thought, this is as good as it gets...R2 here we come:D

HaroldOhio

Newly Enlightened
Is there a discount code that can be used for the Fenix T1 at the Fenix-Store.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened

yay, trevor says he can send a replacement switch over... i promise never-ish to drop my light again!

but yeah, i was just getting used to using the twist action, switching the light on and off , and going between high and low , just by moving my fingers a little, but having a normal switch is definitely easier, sometimes it gets abit too stiff to turn... i wish that one day, the successor of the T1 has a more complex switch that goes between high and low mode , in addition to switching on and off, and the twisting head is used to focus the beam instead... that would make it perfect! not to mention it would have 500 lumens by then

Last edited:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
yay, trevor says he can send a replacement switch over... i promise never-ish to drop my light again!

but yeah, i was just getting used to using the twist action, switching the light on and off , and going between high and low , just by moving my fingers a little, but having a normal switch is definitely easier, sometimes it gets abit too stiff to turn... i wish that one day, the successor of the T1 has a more complex switch that goes between high and low mode , in addition to switching on and off, and the twisting head is used to focus the beam instead... that would make it perfect! not to mention it would have 500 lumens by then

Well... I suspect if you really wanted to, you could turn it on and still use the tailcap as a twisty? I wouldn't think this would work very well regardless though, since it's not intended to be used in such a manner.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
Well... I suspect if you really wanted to, you could turn it on and still use the tailcap as a twisty? I wouldn't think this would work very well regardless though, since it's not intended to be used in such a manner.

im prolly not gonna keep doing it , especially when the light is getting wet, i dont know if the ipx-8 waterproof standard only applies when the tailcap is fully tightened:faint:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I went from the L2D to a L0D and never looked back.
I guess it may be time to have a look at one of these T1's...
Let me ask you guys a question. or two..
As a guy who has A G2L(malkoff) and a bunch of 6P's one of which has a Malkoff drop in...what feature does the Fenix T1 have that I don't have now? What is the T1's killer app?

Look, I admire Fenix for moving into this segment of the market. It is a very tough area to move into with all of the Surefire's and Stingers in the hands of Police officers (By far the largest market segment for the 2 cell "tactical" flashlight) hands. The T1 looks to have an almost cult like following with so many people demonstrating the T1's resistance to destruction. This aspect of the T1 is very impressive.
How stiff is the switch to operate?

Anyway The T1 looks like a light worth looking into for me. I have been moving away from tiny miniature flashlights. I still EDC a PD-s (miser) and a novatac 120P. These are great lights. The simple fact is and I know that a 2 cell light has more of everything including more light.
It sounds to me like a T1 in one hand and a Mule in the other is the perfect combination.

OK I am rambling so very sorry. I look forward to even more reports about the T1 and how tough it is(that movie with the 21000 pound crusher doing it's thing to a T1 is too much) and how the T1 saved a life..those are the reports I want to hear.

Yaesumofo

I find it very amusing I went through the exact same evolution you did L2D to P3D to T1...and again I sure we both thought, this is as good as it gets...R2 here we come:D

Mike89

Enlightened
I can't compare those lights as I don't have them. I can only compare this to my P3D Q5. While the P3D Q5 was my previous favorite, the T1 took over the spot. The factors were; only two modes (one for outside, one for inside, which suits me better), a better (further) throw pattern, better overall spill (cleaner), and better color rendition (which I guess could be subject to the LED), being able to push (without clicking) to get the instant on/off light. Plus the light just has a damn good feel to it. Beamshots and wallshots aside (which I really don't have much use for), this is my favorite light when I'm outside in the dark (which is how I test my lights, duh).

BTW, I finally got the clip off (the remainder of the clip since I had previously broke it off). Had to use a vice. Scored it up a little bit but it just looks more rugged now (battle scars), heh. Ordered another one without the clip for work.

Last edited:

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
wow, david chow from fenix just sent me a replacement switch module! i was just going through my usual stuff of checking websites and my email , and i found an email from him saying that he's sent the switch module, followed by an order update email showing that it's already shipped
that man deserves respect ... he understands people who understand how to disassemble the light!

ive bought http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8683 and http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1236 ... looking forward to how well it works with 3.6v rechargeables compared to 3v primaries, i really enjoy the thought of all the money im saving from not throwing away depleted batteries!

Last edited: