sf l4 to l2

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, jssp78, welcome to CPF!

Your question was actually a very popular one, a little while ago.

not possible.

(short answer to a short question)

Actually, the answer is a little more complicated than you think. The answer is actually a yes. You can achieve 2 stage operation on an L4. Read on.

You can put a McE2S into a tailcap (the McE2S is available from the Sandwich Shoppe website, they have a forum here on CPF) which will make the L4 into a 2 stage light. The tailcap will operate in the same fashion as the L1, L2 and the A2. That is, twist slightly for low, more for high. You can have constant on and momentary etc as per the L4/A2/L1.

Unfortunately the price you pay for this is decreased runtime on the lower level, since the McE2S uses a resistor to drop the L4 out of regulation and is therefore less efficient. FYI, the L2 uses 2 driver boards, one for each of its levels. The driver boards are aligned parallel to the long axis of the light.

The McE2S comes in a variety of resistances, which allow you to choose the brightness of your lower level.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Simpliest solution:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 - Sell L4 on B/S/T here on CPF.

2 - Use $$$ from sale, and a bit of your own money to get new L2.

3 - Enjoy! :party:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simpliest solution:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

You say that as a tongue-in-cheek response but the L4 does have a couple of advantages over the L2. At very least, it can use 17670s and it is shorter.

I think it's only a matter of time until surefire decides to update their lux V lights. SHOT 2008 will really tell us what's coming...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simpliest solution:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you mean the new E2L perhaps?
There isn't a new L2 yet.

The 2-stage new L1 is also very nice, so selling off the L4 is an option.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm sure Monocrom meant new as in didn't have one before, not new as in redesigned! :)

Correct. :D

I love my L4, don't really need an L2. But if Surefire is going by numbers, I'll get a new Cree L2 when it comes out.