Surefire KL1 modded with K2 TFFC TVOE, MRC20. VS KL1 SSC USVOH , MRC20-S

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK , received my TFFC emmiters from Photonfanatic and decided to bring some life into a KL1.

I received this KL1 from member Alantch. He reported the head dead , so I took the torch to it and decided to investigate what was going on. Upon opening the head I noticed a lot of parts missing from the board, so it was really dead. No problem I yanked that sucker out, since all I needed was the optic and lens , but looking at it twice I thought to myself !! direct drive!! So a soldering iron burn later and a few curses and it came out like this:

dsc04488qj3.jpg

I replace the optic and lens with a MRc20 and UCL, Glow-ring from Sigman, and its all good. The led is not perfectly focused but , the beam is fine. I tried it with the MRc20-S but it got a little worse, so back to the MRC20. Also tried a IMS20 and the throw improved. I like the MRC20 better , it centers the led and leaves no gaps on the side like the S version which dances on the heatsink, I took me forever to properly center the S version on the SSC KL1 .

Side by side shot
dsc04533ps0.jpg

dsc04489nq4.jpg

Shot of the Glow-ring
dsc04525eg8.jpg

OK here are some funky beamshots. Yull have to excuse the quality, since the only white paint in my house is on the ceiling , so I had the wife hold the lights while I took some shoots. This are for tint comparison only since , the TFFC is on direct drive, and the SSC is driven by the stock KL1 board.

SSC USVOH on the left- TVOE on the right

dsc04483zo9.jpg

Another funky beamshot . I like the warm tint on this TVOE emmiters.

TVOE on the left now-SSC USVOH on the right

dsc04484oc8.jpg

Conclusion- Believe the hype, this K2 emmiters kick ***, even though I have both installed on overdriven lights ( the other is on my Orb Raw :devil:) , you can c how this are far better then the Old K2's. Love it.

Ill have some shots of the innards and soldering mess soon.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i'm definetely love my K2 TWOF in my nuwai LuxV host & stock driver.
power it with a single 18650 with bored tube - really bright & even brighter with 2 primaries or 2xrcr 3v :)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182870
nice to see the luxeon making a comeback.
can't wait if Fred can bring on the K2 with TFFC from bin: LXK2-PWC4-0220 :devil:

Last edited: