How to fix a new flashlight?

erkkimerkki

Newly Enlightened
My new Ultrafire C3 (I like it, BTW) has some kind of contact problem. it sometimes changes modes, when I hit a bump with my bike. My AA-Nimh batteries are little loose, too.

-What parts of the lamp should I clean? (With alcohol, or what?)

-What parts of the lamp should I lubricate? (And with what?)

-Should I roll some tape on the nimh's, so they would fit tightly?

Recommendations from you pros needed and appreciated !

Marduke

Flashaholic
Search for the word "paperclip" and you'll find instructions on how to help with the contact problem. Clean all contacts with alcohol and a swab. Also, cutting about 1/3 of the lenght of the peg on the inside of the silicon switch boot will help with accidental mode switching.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean contacts and threads with DeoxIT. Then coat your contacts with DexIT GOLD and your rings and threads with plenty of Nyogel 779ZC.

Zenster

Enlightened
More to the point of the OP: the way you fix a "new" flashlight is, after doing ONLY simple things like making sure the contacts are good, and then it still has problems, what you do is to RETURN it to the seller.

After all, it's "new", and a consumer shouldn't be expected to have to repair anything on a new product.

Bashing aside because I don't care where it came from, just contact the seller to get a RA number and send it back.
Whether an individual decides that this sort of thing happens more often with a particular seller and then decides to take their business elsewhere isn't the question here.
The question is simply whether a consumer should be expected to put up with a brand new item that doesn't work right, and I would suggest that the simple answer would be... "No".

Illum

Flashaholic
Am I the only one getting sick of people bashing DX all over the place? There's a specific forum for talking about bad experiences with distributors and resellers. Please direct your frustration there.

+1, but unfortunately the past couple of months alot of sour grape incidents have emerged from DX and theres already a few running DX jeers IIRC