2 LED Driver Boards in a Row ?

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
hm,
i wondering if it is possible to connect 2 LED Driver Boards (for example some DX boards) in a row ?

My problem is, i have 8.4v input and each Driver only supports 6v..
if i connect the drivers like this:

= 8.4v________|
| ____________X Board 2
|_____________|
|____________ |

Do they act like a voltage divider ?
so every board should get around 4,2v
are my thoughts correct ?

thanks
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: 2 LED Driver Borars in a Row ?

from what it sounds like it may work, but the moment one boards load opens up [often accidentally if your load burns out] you will fry the other board:candle:
I'd much rather prefer them connected in parallel and some kind of step down DC-DC regulator that can provide the more current than your boards need

Last edited:

J.D.

Newly Enlightened

i think it´s worth a try :)
thanks for the open load reference.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 LED driver boards(?) in a row

You don't actually give an example of any of the DX boards, so I can only guess which you might be thinking of using. If it's a 3xAMC7135 board then you can simply use a diode to drop the voltage the board gets to under 6V. Normal diodes drop about 0.6V but there are diodes that drop about 3.6V across them at 1 amp, and what's more they even emit some light while doing it. (Namely, a Cree XR-E.) The AMC7135 only uses a couple of hundred microamps for the reference terminal so the LED it's driving will get almost exactly the same as the other LED.

In other words, I don't think connecting two boards in series is worth trying because there's no point.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened

@TorchBoy
you´re right - i thoungt about the 3x 3xAMC7135 Boards. (multi level)
My Plan is to use 4 of them to drive a 4x XR-E light - with 2x 18650 in a row.

if i use a normal diode (or multible), want it kill the effectiveness ?

to use a xr-e to drop the voltage sounds interesting, but i think i didn´t understand the wiring you ment ...

can you exlain how to use the led to drop the voltage ?

Thanks so far...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
multiemitter always in series,
drive it with a step-up driver, when You want to power them with two 18650s.

That way all the led see the same current, switching is easier, less to goo :poof:, ...

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 LED driver boards, each in series with another LED, in parallel

@TorchBoy
you´re right - i thoungt about the 3x 3xAMC7135 Boards. (multi level)
My Plan is to use 4 of them to drive a 4x XR-E light - with 2x 18650 in a row.
OK. Should work well with just two of those boards, and your switch should only have to handle ~0.4mA. How's that? :twothumbs

if i use a normal diode (or multible), want it kill the effectiveness ?
It would, because you'd be getting no return (light output) for the volts dropped. But using an LED instead won't kill the effectiveness because you'll drop the necessary volts and you'll get the extra light you want. The arrangement will also save some voltage, because the AMC7135 has at least 0.12V dropout, so it'll be slightly better than using two boards in series as the battery goes flat. It also means that just one board will be doing the mode control for the two LEDs in series, which might be a good thing, depending on how well they worked together (if they worked together).

to use a xr-e to drop the voltage sounds interesting, but i think i didn´t understand the wiring you ment ...

can you exlain how to use the led to drop the voltage ?
Simply insert it between the battery and the board, where you would put a switch if you wanted to completely turn off the current, so that all the current flowing around the circuit goes through it. It doesn't matter whether you attach it to the positive side or the negative side of the board.

multiemitter always in series,
drive it with a step-up driver, when You want to power them with two 18650s.
It's not essential at all. As long as you're not going to get in to a current-hogging situation by having one driver feeding multiple LEDs in parallel, it more depends on what driver you have available (for what price), and what features you want in a driver. In this case the multimode board is quite attractive. But feel free to suggest drivers that you think would be suitable. They may be more suitable than my suggestion.

That way all the led see the same current, switching is easier, less to goo :poof:, ...
As I said, the difference in current between the two LEDs will be 0.2mA, and in a 4 LED light, if one board unexpectedly dies you will still have the other, still running two LEDs.

One other advantage of doing it this way is that to turn on the light you only need to switch the set pins of the two boards, which means you're switching a total of 0.4mA, which means it's basically acting like a linearly regulating relay - very clever. You'd need a double pole switch if you wanted to keep them separate, but my first thought is that wouldn't be necessary, just take the positive feed from one of the uphill LEDs only.

Happy new year.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened

@all
HAPPY NEW YEAR or as we say here in bavaria "a gsunds neues" :D

@ TorchBoy
Thank you very much ! :eek: you helped me allot.
I´ll try this wiring, the boards are ordered one week ago, i think another 2 weeks and i should receive it :whistle:.
As said, i´ll try the wiring immediately, and report it here ...

@ Illum_the_nation - also thanks for your opinion.
my thoughts for a multi board solution where:
1. the costs - this AMC7135 Boards are quit cheap and i think quite effective
2. the redundancy - if one board dies i still have backup.
and as torchboy said if i have 20mA difference with 4 leds, thats a number i can live with.

If the multiboard solution fails, i think i have to go with the shark...

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED drivers

if one board dies i still have backup.
and as torchboy said if i have 20mA difference with 4 leds, thats a number i can live with.
The two boards might possibly differ by 20mA due to manufacturing variation of the AMC7135s, but the two LEDs controlled by each board will have well under a milliamp difference.

If the multiboard solution fails, i think i have to go with the shark...
With Remora?

Last edited:

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened

hm,
i wondering if it is possible to connect 2 LED Driver Boards (for example some DX boards) in a row ?

My problem is, i have 8.4v input and each Driver only supports 6v..
if i connect the drivers like this:

= 8.4v________|
| ____________X Board 2
|_____________|
|____________ |

Do they act like a voltage divider ?
so every board should get around 4,2v
are my thoughts correct ?

thanks
:popcorn:
You can easily check to see if your boards need a load to keep from burning out. If they dont this arrangement should be fine.

Also, why not try to get a parallel arrangement of your batteries to get 4.2 instead of 8.4 volts? Im assuming you have 2 nominal 4.2 volt batteries (lithium rechargeables)
edit: just find a way to connect your 18650's in parallel and you have solved the problem.

But, to connect an led in series between the batteries and the boards will likely burn it out due to excessive current flow.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDS in series

edit: just find a way to connect your 18650's in parallel and you have solved the problem.
Sounds good. There'll only be 0.12V difference between that and my suggestion, and that'll only matter when the cells are heading toward discharged.

But, to connect an led in series between the batteries and the boards will likely burn it out due to excessive current flow.
Why? The board has a maximum of 1 amp draw when on high mode. If the extra LED is in series that current will be going through that LED too.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since no one has yet said so in this thread, I'd like the opportunity to say that

NO

you cannot put two driver boards in series and feed them double their speced voltage. You'll fry them.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the real world, I am using the similar setting for a while, it works!
My setting is 3x 18650 serial to 3x AMC7135 board serial.
One of the AMC7135 is multi-level, so I can control the level too.
I don't know the efficient or not, but sure it is a cheaper solution for multi-level. ;)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the real world, I am using the similar setting for a while, it works!
My setting is 3x 18650 serial to 3x AMC7135 board serial.
One of the AMC7135 is multi-level, so I can control the level too.
I don't know the efficient or not, but sure it is a cheaper solution for multi-level. ;)
Interesting. Have you tried doubling up the multi-level AMC7135s or any other more complicated boards?

J.D.

Newly Enlightened

@Torchboy
yes Shark + Remora is the alternative configuration - but more expensive ;(
@rhuck60
the problem is i will built the light with a 2x18650 tube, so there is no chance for parallel connection.
@TigerhawkT3
why schould i fry them ? i think the boards have an internal resistance, so this configuration should work like a voltage divisor ?

But i would say the best would be the solution from TorchBoy...
the first LED (for voltage dropping), is connectet in a row with the board, so both devices get the same current (max 1A). Should be save...
By the way i think this configuration would even be more effektive then one board for one led...

if this works nearly a perfekt solution :thumbsup:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me say again.
3x li-ion 18650 in serial => (1.2A AMC7135 to cree) + (1.2A AMC7135 to cree) + (1.2A multi-level AMC7135 to cree)
The multi-level AMC7135 board control the current to all cree, work quite well with 3x P4 cree. :grin2:

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened

Since no one has yet said so in this thread, I'd like the opportunity to say that

NO

you cannot put two driver boards in series and feed them double their speced voltage. You'll fry them.
"ahem"
.____________________
|.............................. |
|.............................. + R1
|.............................. |
= battery (8.4 volts) ,o.|
||||........................... + R2
| ............................o.|
|___________________.| R1 = R2

this basic electronic circuit is known as the "resistive voltage divider".

the voltage each resistor sees is exactly half the battery voltage if the 2 resistances are equal.
The 2 driver boards with their leds will be very close to the same load (resistance) and so each will see 1/2 the battery voltage. Trust me!

Last edited:

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened

@rhuck60
the problem is i will built the light with a 2x18650 tube, so there is no chance for parallel connection.

No problem. just go with your original idea, making sure the driver boards dont need an Led connected to survive.

But i would say the best would be the solution from TorchBoy...
the first LED (for voltage dropping), is connectet in a row with the board, so both devices get the same current (max 1A). Should be save...
By the way i think this configuration would even be more effektive then one board for one led...

pretty sure this wont work right, let me think why and get back to you.

if this works nearly a perfekt solution :thumbsup:

when you get the boards first hook one up and test it, then unhook the led and turn it on again. Then turn it off, hookup the led and test it again. If it survived running unloaded you have crossed your first obstacle.

Im not sure if one of those boards will run 2 Cree XR-E's or just one.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one LED driver board

This is more the sort of discussion I like to see - much more interesting than a monologue from me. :twothumbs

My suggestion was only to have one board running one LED (but with another LED in series with the whole thing, either on the positive or negative side). Because of the high forward voltage of white LEDs the board won't cope with driving two LEDs unless they're red LEDs, with their lower operating voltage (1.7-2.0V).

Or you could just put multiple signal diodes (not LEDs) @ ~0.6V each onto the positive side of the control electronics - I think they already come with one for polarity protection and a bit of voltage protection. BTW, the 5 mode board from DX is sold out.

A single mode 3xAMC7135 board doesn't burn out if an LED is not attached. If the multimode boards just add switching I can't see them burning out either.

As I've mentioned, using an LED in series with the board (which itself is driving another LED) will save a little bit of voltage over using two boards in series. It might be handy when the battery voltage lowers as it goes flat and you want to use high mode (1A) since the forward voltage of the LEDs will be higher. The minimum battery voltage would be (by spec) 2 x 3.7V + 0.12V = 7.52V, rather than 2 x 3.7V + 2 x 0.12V = 7.64V. Of course, you can get much lower Vf LEDs than that, so it might not be a problem for the particular LED you use.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

this basic electronic circuit is known as the "resistive voltage divider".

the voltage each resistor sees is exactly half the battery voltage if the 2 resistances are equal.
The 2 driver boards with their leds will be very close to the same load (resistance) and so each will see 1/2 the battery voltage. Trust me!

This works if the drivers behave as resistive. In this case, you're using linear drivers which essentially drop off any excess voltage using resistors until the proper output voltage is reached. IF you were to try this with buck or boost drivers however, which operate using inductors and operate on a non-continuous duty cycle, it won't behave as a simple voltage divider anymore.