The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fivemega's Strion conversion kit for Surefire A2

Super Moderator

Default Re: Fivemega's Strion conversion kit for Surefire A2

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    since neither the fivemega socket or lumens factory lamp assemblies are stock equipment, do you think they would still mechanically work together in an A2 with the aviatrix mod?
    Neither the FM mod nor the LF bulb will affect the LEDs, nor will they be affected by them. The incan and LED circuits are independent of each other, and the Aviatrix circuit only affects the LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Anyone know how fast do the lamps blacken on this fivemega kit?
    AFAIK no-one has yet reported on the life of the Strion bulb used like this in an A2. No bulb failures have yet been reported. Fivemega's first run of these was ~1 year ago IIRC, so the mod is well established.
    Resistance is futile...

Say, how can I buy one of these? I'd like to try one for myself.
    It isn't the life that matters, it's the courage you put into it.

Super Moderator

Unfortunately, Fivemega’s sales thread is now sold out. I do not know when (or if) he will do another run of these.

You may be able to find one on B/S/T, but I think people will be hanging on to them, rather than selling them.
    Resistance is futile...

Maybe we should start asking now for another batch.

I can tell you these Strion bulbs seem to be well built. I can't answer how long the filament will continue burning, but I can tell you these bulbs can handle some abuse. Doing some of my playing with these bulbs and adapters, I've dropped a couple of these bulbs onto the kitchen floor several times and they continue to work fine.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

A few reference pics to go along with the ones that DM51 as already posted. The last pic is a gif animation. Enjoy..

A2 MA02 @ 40 feet

A2 Strion @ 40 feet

A2 MA02 @ 15 feet

A2 Strion @ 15 feet

Rotating animation of the pics @ 40 feet
    Last edited by Patriot; 02-09-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Sorry for going off topic here, but I have a Strion kit incoming and would like to get some spare bulbs. Can anyone tell me where's the best place (online) to get these bi-pin bulbs? I checked litho's sales thread and looks like he doesn't carry these? TIA.

I bought a couple of the Strion bulbs off the big auction site.

Is it just me or does the Strion have a bunch of artifacts in the beam?? I know I'm white wall hunting, but it almost looks like a bunch of bugs?? Maybe it's just my bulb??

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the beam.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by skcheng View Post
    Is it just me or does the Strion have a bunch of artifacts in the beam?? I know I'm white wall hunting, but it almost looks like a bunch of bugs?? Maybe it's just my bulb??
    The MA02 bulb has a frosted tip, which eliminates a lot of the artifacts. The Strion bulb has a clear tip, so you may see some difference on a white wall.

Most Incan bulbs have some artifacts, but the A2 is principally used outside where they are not noticeable.
    Resistance is futile...

Super Moderator

There is a 2nd run sales thread now open on B/S/T.
    Resistance is futile...

Has anyone compared FIVEMEGA's kit against the Lumens Factory drop-in? I have the L/F bulb and it's an improvement over the S/F factory unit so I'm wondering if I can get even more out of my A2 with Five's new kit...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by alantch View Post
    Sorry for going off topic here, but I have a Strion kit incoming and would like to get some spare bulbs. Can anyone tell me where's the best place (online) to get these bi-pin bulbs? I checked litho's sales thread and looks like he doesn't carry these? TIA.
    here ya go, $ 4.77 ea.:

http://www.streamlightdistributor.co...cessories.aspx

Flashaholic

Has anyone tried the Streamlight Stinger bulbs in their A2 with FM socket?

FM indicates in his sales thread that they are a longer life alternative to Strion bulbs.
    From Streamlight's website the Stinger is rated at 125lm @ 3.6V. The Strion 116lm from 1x Li-ion (4.2-3.6V).

Flashaholic

Christo Pull Hair Re: Fivemega's Strion conversion kit for Surefire A2

Something is going on with my A2.

• My A2 with Strion kit does not seem to be much brighter than the stock MA02. I don't own two A2s, so I can't compare side by side.
    • My 6PD with stock P60 outthrows the A2/Strion with a noticeably brighter hotspot.
    • The positive contact on my socket is not made of brass.

As of last night, my A2 will not turn on with the Strion socket installed, but still functions correctly with the MA02. I have PMed Fivemega and await his response, but was hoping someone here might have some advice. I have to say, after the positive reports in this thread, I was excited for the upgrade, but right now I am pretty disappointed.

What is the serial number of your A2?

I had an early A2 that did not show a brightness increase with the Strion kit so being curious, and having spare funds back then, I bought a second more recent A2 and the difference was very obvious.

Flashaholic

My A2 is serial number A70328. I think I might have just gotten a bad one somehow. I PMed Fivemega and he said to send it in for a replacement. It seems like no matter what, it won't make a good connection, which would definitely hinder any brightness increase.

Flashaholic*

Time to bump this thread. I've had the opportunity to use one of my Strion bulbs for about 8 hours now judging by the number of battery pairs I've put through it, and most uses involved extended runs of the incan lamp in my coffee farms. The bulb has darkened some but it's still plenty bright. Like my overdriven M6 regulated at 7.5V with the MN21, the glass envelopes seem to suffer more from the heat in extended runs. Used in short bursts, the blackening is delayed.

I am still ever so pleased with this setup. Out to 80 yards in pitch black conditions huge areas can be cleared with no problem.

Well so these kits have been around long enough that probably some members have had the opportunity to really test them any comments ?

Wink2 Re: Fivemega's Strion conversion kit for Surefire A2

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Something is going on with my A2.

• My A2 with Strion kit does not seem to be much brighter than the stock MA02. I don't own two A2s, so I can't compare side by side.
    • My 6PD with stock P60 outthrows the A2/Strion with a noticeably brighter hotspot.
    • The positive contact on my socket is not made of brass.
    As of last night, my A2 will not turn on with the Strion socket installed, but still functions correctly with the MA02. I have PMed Fivemega and await his response, but was hoping someone here might have some advice. I have to say, after the positive reports in this thread, I was excited for the upgrade, but right now I am pretty disappointed.

Snow,

You are not alone unfortunately my Strion has developed the same problem in my A2, freaking bummer . I loved the Strion's beam, so much better than the MAo2 IMHO.

I've corresponded with Varooj and sent him my A2 and Strion in hopes he will uncover the problem. There must be an anomaly in some of the A2's that won't allow the current to flow through either the ground or positive path just my guess .
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ Kicked cancer's ass 3 times~

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootone View Post
    Snow,

You are not alone unfortunately my Strion has developed the same problem in my A2, freaking bummer . I loved the Strion's beam, so much better than the MAo2 IMHO.

I've corresponded with Varooj and sent him my A2 and Strion in hopes he will uncover the problem. There must be an anomaly in some of the A2's that won't allow the current to flow through either the ground or positive path just my guess .

Yeah it is a bummer to go back to the stock MA02 after seeing the Strion kit. I actually went through a huge ordeal sending a few different kits back to Varooj and also sending him my A2. I finally ended up with 3 A2s. Two of them work perfectly with Strion kits and the third won't work with either of them. I have never been able to figure out why.

Flashaholic*

Excuse the bump.

I just got a Strion kit and its exhibiting the same problems, it will not turn on when installed on the A2, even the LED won't turn on.

Edit: got it working (the head really needs to be tightened!) Is there supposed to be an inductor whine? I can hear it clearly when the incan bulb is turned on.
    Last edited by jp2515; 08-18-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Flashaholic

I can't find out where to purchase these Strion kits.
    I looked all over the place......

Help anybody?
    Regards, Walt

Quote Originally Posted by balticvid View Post
    I can't find out where to purchase these Strion kits.
    I looked all over the place......

Help anybody?
    No more is sold at the moment, you can express your interest in this thread. If there are strong enough interest, fivemega may create another run
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=210254

Flashaholic

I'll keep an eye out.
    Thanks.......
    Regards, Walt

I'd sure be interested in a couple!

did these Strion kit issues of not powering up get resolved? I've been considering posting a WTB for one but don't want to damage my A2

the MA02 bulbs don't darken/blacken, do they?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Flashaholic*

Does anybody know if these bulbs are still made by Streamlight ?

I don't think so, these haven't been in production for years now. One of the reasons I didn't go with the Strion kit in the end. You can probably still find them on eBay from time to time or on some small eshops. I am not located in US so that would make the search for Strion bulbs even more complicated.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12