• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: PIR with USB programmer

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Sale:
This is one of winnys PIR1.1 Programmable Incandescent Regulator with the USB programmer. It has had its firmware updated to the most recent version to fix a problem that caused it to become inoperable if the temperature setting was set too low.
The PIR has been mounted in a KIU socket on top of a mag switch.
I've modded the switch to make it momentary only by trimming the teeth on the latching mechanism. I've also run a small wire from B+ to the pushbutton area so pack voltage can be measured by removing the rubber switch boot. I used this unit for a few weeks while building a Mag625 and it just never saw much use.
The link to the PIR can be found here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107211
This is a programmable PWM REGULATOR. You can set 3 separate levels of VOLTAGE via the pushbutton programming feature or via the USB interface. When using it, I had it programmed for 10V, 11V, and 12.7V.
I have all of the software and the manual. I'll include it on CD or can email it to the buyer.
You install a small standalone application on your PC and use it to upload programming parameters to the PIR.
Parameters:
Voltage for settings 1 through 3,
Softstart time,
High temperature shutdown point,
Low voltage warning,
Low voltage shutdown,
Calibration values.
It needs to be "calibrated" to your battery pack. So that the value you program is the value that you actually get. I set my values, then adjusted the calibration values until output voltage matched the programmed voltage.

Programmer:
img2450ph8.jpg

Mounted in a switch:
img2451jo7.jpg

img2452sz4.jpg

An unmounted PIR sold earlier this year for $85 with the programmer.
I thought since it was mounted and included the KIU and switch, I'd start at $100 including shipping to CONUS. International shipping to be arranged separately.
PayPal to: [email protected]
I guess I'll see if these are as wanted now as they were then.

Last edited:

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick one here.
Do you know what watt bulb it will handle befor it leaves this world for good? I looked in the thred's and could not find that info.

Thanks, MATT

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick one here.
Do you know what watt bulb it will handle befor it leaves this world for good? I looked in the thred's and could not find that info.

Thanks, MATT
I ran a 64625 at 12.7 volts with no problem. I was going to use it in my 65W IRC @ 18.5V, it could handle that too.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, this was around "before my time" at CPF, so maybe a summary of what it does, and whether it is the version winny has the big red warning about in your link, or a later one? Is this a variation of AW's multi-level PWM soft starting switch? There are a wide variety of features that were bantered about in that link and this other one. I'm trying to figure out why you said you didn't find much use for it.

This version has the updated firmware that fixes the "BIG RED WARNING". Before I uploaded the newer firmware, I had to freeze it to get it to work again to reset the high temp cut off. I'll update the main post.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sale on hold pending feedback.

I've updated the main post per Lux's recommendation. It now lists all of the settable parameters, as well as a basic description of what it is.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Jimmy, I got this a couple days ago. Need to set aside some time to learn how to use it. I took a nap on that nice soft layer of cotton packing in the box! Thanks

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, I got this a couple days ago. Need to set aside some time to learn how to use it. I took a nap on that nice soft layer of cotton packing in the box! Thanks
Yeah. Sheesh. Keep that away from your eyes and groin.
Ah, I thought you could use some. You've been building some hot incans.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Lux,

Give us a review on this driver. I never knew something like this existed, that is a end user PC programmable incan driver.

I wonder why this wasn't a bigger deal when it was released, or in wider production?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Good question. I joined CPF just after this was being promoted, so first I heard of it.

Jimmy, what is that cloth? I was thinking it was cotton...but now it must be some insulation? Glad I mentioned it. I have some of the FiberFrax from Aircraft Spruce website, but this stuff is thick! Thanks bud.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question. I joined CPF just after this was being promoted, so first I heard of it.

Jimmy, what is that cloth? I was thinking it was cotton...but now it must be some insulation? Glad I mentioned it. I have some of the FiberFrax from Aircraft Spruce website, but this stuff is thick! Thanks bud.
These were here then gone. winny built one run and there was talk of a 2nd, but nothing came of it. It's advertised in the PIR thread that it has no reasonable power handling limit. I'm sure Lux will put that to the test.
It works by computing the necessary duty cycle to achieve a desired output based on measured battery voltage. The calibration comes in because the switching of the mosfet on and off effects the voltage on the input that varies by cell voltage and type. The goal I'm trying to achieve with my PWM design is to actually read the effective output voltage and regulate based on that. As most regulators do.

Lux, That insulation is alumina ceramic insulation rated to 2300 deg F. I have a ROLL of it. I while back I posted a thread that, for shipping, I'd send anyone that asked a couple of sq ft. I'll be sending a piece with the Mag623 and Mag138 that I'm selling.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, I remember the thread way back when on the insulation now that you mention it. Thanks. (May want to put a note with it in those mags so they know what it is.)

cat

Enlightened
Lux, That insulation is alumina ceramic insulation rated to 2300 deg F. I have a ROLL of it. I while back I posted a thread that, for shipping, I'd send anyone that asked a couple of sq ft. I'll be sending a piece with the Mag623 and Mag138 that I'm selling.

Jimmy, is that from McMaster-Carr? Do you have the SKU or something for it? (I found it hard to figure out which of them was suitable.)

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm away on business at the moment, but when I get home, I'll find the SKU. Yes, it is from McMaster-Carr.