Maybe I DO need an EDC...

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've bought the biggest thrower to impress the most, but with this quality of flashlight around, why not buy one as an everyday companion?

So now, I'm looking at the other end of the spectrum, but unfortunately I've fallen down to creating a thread asking for recomendations...

I've seen a lot of lights (I research a lot more than I post), but there are always more, and better :grin2:

I'm looking at the P2D Q5 and the Defender Infinity. However, it seems that even Fenix can't get the regulation perfect when using just one CR123...

I'd love the P3D over the P2D, but could someone with the P3D tell me, is it small enough to never notice in your pocket? I don't own many lights, so I don't have a good sense of this yet.

Batteries aren't a problem. All else being equal, AAs or rechargeables are a plus, but I don't mind any type (I'd use non-rechargeables in the P2D for the low modes).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
if its gonna be in a pocket and not on keychain then its good , its like having a roll of dimes in your pocket ...roll of dimes is close to the same girth as a fenix

Shreknow91

Enlightened
if its gonna be in a pocket and not on keychain then its good , its like having a roll of dimes in your pocket ...roll of dimes is close to the same girth as a fenix

i dont know about dime, maybe slightly bigger than a roll of nickels (im talking about the P3D)

it is definetly a good pocket light though

good luck :)

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

definitely not on a keychain... to me there's something degrading about putting a $60 instrument on a keychain :shrug:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd love the P3D over the P2D, but could someone with the P3D tell me, is it small enough to never notice in your pocket? I don't own many lights, so I don't have a good sense of this yet.

As the happy owner of a P3D Q5, I would say that the light would go unnoticed in a jacket pocket. I carry mine daily to work in it's holster, in my pants pocket. While not uncomfortable to do so (I wear dress pants as part of my work uniform) it does sometimes remind me that it is there.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I`ve got a Fenix L2T. 2AA light. I would guess a L1T would be Shorter. My L2T is about the size of a Corona Size cigar . A bit too long for my pocket, but it came with a nice sheath. So ,maybe a single AA might work.

ugrey

Enlightened
I carry a Fenix P2D everyday in my front left pocket. It is set on low, and I can "whip it out" and click it on with one hand. I never notice it.

In my back pocket, riding vertically next to my wallet, I keep a Fenix P3d, set on high. It too can be "whipped out" single handed. I never notice it either.

So, I give you the modified CPF motto: "Buy (and carry) both".

Maybe our club greeting could be "Whip it out":)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Nitecore DI and I like it more than the P2D. But it is new, so I have to play with it. I only have a Q2 P2D, but the difference is not sooooooo huge from a Q5. I like the momentary switch of the Defender. You can modify the P2D to use the momentary switch from the L1T v 2.0 too.
Also, the importance of length versus diameter is a very personal choice- some prefer long and thin over short and wider.
The P3D is ~34mm longer than the P2D. I find it too big for casual pants including jeans, or for shirt pockets. Coat pockets it is OK. It's length is just too long for my pockets, though it is nice and bright.
Another option is the fenix L1T v 2.0 itself. It is my favorite Fenix right now, but you my have a hard time finding one as I think they are not sold by Fenix-store any more. May be back, maybe not for a while though... It is cheaper than the NDI with a similar UI, but has a set low brightness and no strobe.

daimleramg

Banned
The P3D is ~34mm longer than the P2D. I find it too big for casual pants including jeans, or for shirt pockets. Coat pockets it is OK. It's length is just too long for my pockets, though it is nice and bright.

Stop wearing those spandex jeans, I always carry my P3D Q5 in my jeans and i never notice them in my pants only the girls do...:thumbsup:

dulridge

Enlightened
I'd reckon the P3D is small enough to EDC - it is surprisingly small for a 2x123 torch. Here it is beside assorted other lights, a Fenix E0 (1xAAA), an UltraFire C3 (1xAA), the P3D, and a Photon ReX.

IMG_0506.jpg

Personally, I'd not put the P3 on a keyring, or the C3, but your opinion may vary. The P3 is VERY small for a 2x123 light. Here it is beside a Golston.

IMG_0507.jpg

Don't have, or want, a P2.

Hope this is of some use.

crocodilo

Enlightened
For me, EDC flashlight means jeans watch pocket size, usable brightness and long runtime if needed. Simplicity and reliability are important, as is price, since I do not want to risk a high value item on everyday use, at least not if I can get a low price with enough quality and features.

This is why my current EDC is a Fenix P1D-Q5. I've long been a fan of the P series, for their size and usability. The Q5 adds a very efficient LED and an option to dim down to prolong runtime, should the need arise. I would gladly leave out turbo, strobe and SOS modes... Comparing it with the P2D, I tend to believe twisties are more reliable than clickies, plus they make for a smaller flashlight. Correctly lubed, a P1D is almost as fast to operate one handed as a P2D.

But... and there's always a but... when it comes to electronics and batteries, two is one and one is none. Furthermore, 123 batts may be hard to find in a crisis situation, so carrying something ultralight, utterly reliable, and that feeds on a common battery is very important. I backup the P1D with an Arc-P AAA, and amanzingly this little sucker gets pulled out of the pocket more often than the other. After all, when it comes to EDC duty, a little brightness goes a long way.

Double battery flashlights, be it 2x123 or 2xAA, are best left for antecipated use, not EDC carry. Winter coat pockets, backpacks, BOBs or car carry. The EDC core of light and knife, like any self defense weapon, have to be carried on-body. One must remember that EDC should accomplish two functions: most common and often use (EDU, every day use), and some level of preparedness for rare but possible scenarios. You may go years without one happening, but it's just a matter of time until one does, and you better be prepared.

Just my (current) opinion. Time, experience and information may come to change my way of thinking and carrying.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a P2D Q2. Now there is the P2D Q5, but I'll probably wait for a P2D with a R bin Cree. I have two P3D's, I find them a bit large for EDC for me. By that, I mean, on me at all times, my P2D is always on my belt, all day long, in it's holster. I don't tuck my shirts in so no one sees it, but it's quick and easy to access when needed. I didn't care for the P3D on my belt in a holster when I'm lounging around the house, etc. If I'm going for a night walk or something, then a P3D on my belt in a holster is no problem, in fact I've been known to head out with two P3D's and my P2D, all 3 holsters in a row, on my belt, and it wasn't uncomfortable. The only reason I did that is so I could compare them when I was out and about. One of the P3D's was fitted with an aspheric lens at the time. :)

The P2D is handy because it's small, plenty bright for most tasks, can tail stand, simple user interface, and being a single cell light there's less chance of a BOOM.

For a keychain light I like my LOD CE Q4, or Liteflux LF2.

cal..45

Enlightened
I'm looking at the P2D Q5 and the Defender Infinity. However, it seems that even Fenix can't get the regulation perfect when using just one CR123...

well, I do have the P2D (Q5 and R100) and I can tell you, there are no issues at all with regulation, unless...

Batteries aren't a problem. All else being equal, AAs or rechargeables are a plus, but I don't mind any type (I'd use non-rechargeables in the P2D for the low modes).
...you try to run the light with 3.6/3.7 volt rechargeables, because they won't allow to switch to low modes. this can be avoided however, if you either use primaries or 3 volt rechargeables.

its all about personal preferences but I find the P2D clearly superior to the P3D. the P3D is only about 16% brighter (hardly noticeable in the field) yet 3,3 centimeters (41%) longer (very noticeable in your pocket). still its a very small flashlight, but for an EDC lamp my motto is "smaller is better". also the head of the P2D is interchangeable with the heads of the L1D and L2D, while the head of the P3D is not. the only real plus I can see for the P3D is its longer runtime, but since I carry at least one (usually two) spare CR123 cells with me anyway, this isn't really an argument in my opinion either.

regards, holger

Last edited:

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
I carry the P3D with me pretty much wherever i go, and if anything i tend to forget that I'm wearing it. Though I carry it in the holster and not in my pocket.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying my Nitecore Defender Infinity the last few days and LOVE it! It's amazingly bright on 14500 (and not too shabby on a normal cheap alkaline too!), has programmable low (which on lowest low should be super runtime), a momentary switch (which I love), and is grippy (which most Fenixes aren't) and slim (Fenixes tend to be thicker). I sold my L1D for the DI and don't regret it. While I liked my L1D, it was very slick. Twisting the head to get to low was sometimes hard due to lack of grip. It was also longer and thicker than 1xAA lights I'm used to, which just seemed unnecessary and an inefficient use of space. And there was no low with 14500s, a big issue for me.

My other EDC I rotate is a 1x123A light (a Vital Gear FB1 body with E2D head). It's shorter still, which is nice in my pocket, especially for work (khakis, dress pants, etc.). The P2D would be a great size, but keep in mind, it also has a slick (non-grippy) head and doesn't have low with R123As (unless you get the 3.0V R123As which have a bit less capacity).

For an EDC, I'd recommend either a 1x123A or 1xAA light as they'll fit in almost any pocket without being noticed by others or yourself.

On the weekends, I carry a 2x123A light (with a 17670 inside tho), but that's because I have larger pockets on weekends. My light is still slim tho, similar to a P3D in size, but carrying that in dress pants is a bit more noticeable. Also, I have some shorts that don't have as deep pockets and my 2x123A(17670) light doesn't fit fully in that.
Oh, and FYI, I have clips on all the lights I just mentioned, as I don't like lights just moving around in my pocket. A clip holds them in place and keeps them away from other crap I have in my pocket and makes them more easily accessible.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Nightcore DI in a Rip Off's nylon holster; I'm used to carrying something on my belt anyways, but the Rip Off's holster has a clip that lets me wear it on board shorts or anything else that doesn't use a belt. I like it as an EDC because it's compact, has multiple modes, and can take readily available AA batteries. I also have a Fenix LO-P on my keychain, but the Nightcore DI's lowest setting matches the output. The only thing I want is a pocket clip...

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Is that a Fenix P3D in your pocket or are you glad to see me!:laughing:
Well it isn't near as heavy as a roll of dimes so it could be an EDC. I don't always have mine in my pocket but it is in there often.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input, everybody. I think I will be sticking to a 1-cell flashlight, as I have a larger flashlight for runtime/very high output already.

Could somebody clarify, how does the P1Ds twist switch work? Just twist more for a later mode (eg twist a tiny bit for primary and very far for SOS)?

Is the P2D Q5 noticeably brighter than the Nitecore DI? The DI is looking pretty atractive for its momentary on, programeable modes, and performance with rechargeables, but the P 1/2 D is looking pretty sweet too, and I may be able to sacrifice the DIs benefits for more light :thinking:

For most people I realize price is an important factor in EDC, so I'd like to clarify that I'll be EDCing in a bit of a different style: usually (not always) with me, and very carefully :grin2:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testers have shown that the P1D & P2D Q5 are slightly brighter than the NDI, but probably not very noticeable in real use. More important is how you like the UI, size, shape, and beam.

The P1D switches through a series of on-off-on twists. It goes from Med, to high, to low, then strobe and SOS in sucession until you leave it off for a couple of seconds to allow it to reset the series so it starts at medium again.