My CR2 Ion Saga

fleegs

Enlightened
I have always loved and hated my CR2 Ions. I have never gotten a CR2 Ion that actually worked well. All my Ions (I have 4) would go out or flicker to the point it would render the flashlight useless. I tried all the progold stuff, the lube from the Shoppe, different Nyogel lubes, blah blah blah. Never got any of them to work more than a minute without some sporatic light issue developing.

Fast forward, I bought the Nautilus. I decided to get the lube that was recommended but actually found out that it has been discontinued. Wonderful! In my quest however, I did purchase some RadioShack lube part number 64-2301A.

I decided to use the RadioShack lube on one of the CR2 Ions that I have. In my amazement the new lube worked great. My Ion went over 12 minutes with no problems (at twelve minutes it started to flicker, I turned it off then on and it seemed to fix it). I have been doing limited testing over the past few weeks and am very happy to report that the Ion is doing the best it ever has. I am getting close to trusting it as an EDC and may use it on my next camping trip.

So I finally have working CR2 Ions. These lights are really great when they work. I can now comprehend what everyone has been talking about when referring to the positives of this light.

The RadioShack lube is now my go to lube for all my lights. It has been working great. It seems to be better than the lube from the Shoppe (50/50 blend). The blend from the Shoppe seemed to dry out over time if the flashlight was not used. I only have two weeks of data with the RadioShack lube and over a year with the Shoppe lube but I see a difference already. Long term info still pending.

Anyways I thought I would share the info in case anyone has a CR2 Ion light that they love and hate like me. Hands down this lube has had the biggest impact over anything else in the last two years for my Ions.

Flashlight on my friends.

rob

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I been tauting the RS All Purpose Lube for years now. I crack-up at how many folks continue to spend 100x the cost for the various "snake-oil" lubes that do nothing more then this does.

greenLED

Flashaholic
fleegs, try re-seating the retaining ring that holds the pill in place. That'll help secure the circuit and it does help reduce the instances of flickering Ions (yes, Fallingwater, it's a known occurrence).

fleegs

Enlightened
Hmm. I wasn't aware of CR2 Ions having a reputation for unreliability.

That has been open to debate.

It appears from the data I have seen when compared to the total number of CR2 Ions out there only a few that have something wrong. Nothing to write home about. Somewhere there is a poll by me and not enough voted to really determine if there is an issue. So far there appears to be no issue. I just got really bad luck.

rob

fleegs

Enlightened
fleegs, try re-seating the retaining ring that holds the pill in place. That'll help secure the circuit and it does help reduce the instances of flickering Ions (yes, Fallingwater, it's a known occurrence).

Oh been there my friend.

rob

Secur1

Enlightened
Now that's interesting....I had no idea about this "issue", so thanks for bringing it to my attention fleegs.
I really wanted to get a CR2 Ion but the price tag kept me away, instead went for the Fenix P2D Q5 as my back up EDC for my Draco. A bit bigger but at 1/3 of the price and with an insane turbo mode and strobe (which i find great for emergencies/attracting attention).

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Maybe it's similar to the old Arc AAA problems.. Either the tail got dirty, or the nipple, or the ground path, or the threads....... Heh.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
No flickers here, I have 4 Ions and my wife has one.

ions.jpg

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
hmmnnnn ... never seen the RS lube before.

Will have to remember this for the next time.

I don't think i've ever had or recognized "issues" related to contacts etc with any of my lights.

Admittedly, I don't have many - just 3-4 Fenixes. But they all seem to work. I guess a couple of bucks for lube is a small price to pay to ensure top working condition.

fleegs

Enlightened
Update-

Since using the RS lube, my Ions have been working great. This light is really great. I am so glad I never got rid of them.

:party:

rob

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool and thanks for the update. I've got a used CR2 Ion coming tomorrow I believe. It will get the RS treatment and anything else I can find on it that hasn't been mentioned here. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to sell it shortly unless I can sell something else.

frank777

Enlightened
I had to send my CR2 Ion back because it was flickering. A small flashlight as expensive as the CR2 Ion should be perfect out of the box and shouldn't need "treatment".

europium

Enlightened
I used to have intermittent problems with flickering, but only on low. The simplest solution for me was to just turn the head a little bit more in the clockwise direction until better contact was made. One day the flickering just seemed to go away! I have always used the RS lube, on my CR2-Ion and other lights.

Eu