Novatac Tactical Tailcap

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Wondering if anyone owns an HDS and a Novatac with the tactical switch... and if the tailcaps are interchangeable? Lighthound is selling the Novatac tactical tailcap separately and I'd like to install it on my HDS Basic 60.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
They are interchangeable but the anodizing color will be WAY off

This is not an overstatement. The color is quite different (read totally different) and clearly does not match, however, ignoring the color diff, the function is perfect. I have both and swap intermittently.

paxxus

Enlightened
I currently use a tactical NovaTac tailcap with my HDS. I bought it from LightHound. I was prepared that there would be a color mismatch, but I wasn't prepared that they would be clear anodised instead of black(ish). My tailcap almost looks like bare alluminum!

As for the function it is almost perfect. Because the HDS battery tube is not designed to expect a retaining ring like the one in the NovaTac tailcaps, you can activate the light by banging the tailend of the HDS against your palm - only moderate force is required. What happens is that the spring touches the retaining ring, I once even got it to be permanently stuck while experimenting with this phenomenon. I use the automatic button lock because of the tactical switch anyway, so this is not a big problem and I've only seen it happen if I deliberately try to make it happen. But perfection it ain't.

paxxus

Enlightened
I should add that the HDS (and NovaTac) is protected against button "clicks" that are too short, probably to prevent activation due to bumps etc. If you're fast on your fingers and make a really fast click it wont register. This makes the problem I describe very unlikely to turn the light on unless the spring ends up in permanent contact with the retaining ring, as it happened for me once.

The protection against too short presses ironically is not in effect when the button is locked, so when banging the light against your palm you get the two warning flashes each time.

So, if you want to check out if your tailcap modded HDS has this problem, activate the button lock faeture and lock the light. Then try banging the tailend moderately hard against your palm and see if you get the warning flashes.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! Appreciate the heads up on the color mismatch although in this case function takes priority. I'll be placing my order shortly! Happy New Year and may you always have darkness, fresh batteries, and your favorite light with you at all times!

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading that the tailcap is able to fit old HDS lights I figured we just need someone to make tubes and springs and we can use these switches.

That way we'll be able to have 18650 tubes and 2x123 tubes back in production for the HDS.

Just need a machinist with the ability to do it someone like leef.

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
...That way we'll be able to have 18650 tubes and 2x123 tubes back in production for the HDS...

It sure would be nice if 18650 tubes were available for a reasonable price sometime in 2008 :thumbsup:

And another interesting business opportunity for someone or even Novatac to follow up on would be to offer emitter module upgrade slugs at a reasonable price. This would make upgrading these lights a piece of cake for most people who don't have the tools or equipment or skills, etc, to upgrade the LED. And upgrading the emitter module could also bring new functionality to the light wth firmware changes / upgrades, improvements or changes to the power supply to meet the needs of newer LED's, etc. If people could buy new emitter module upgrade slugs for $49.95, there's likely an opportunity for consistant residual sales as people upgrade these lights year after year with newer technology.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some of the old HDS tailcaps were not meant to be taken apart i.e the "waist" from "tailcap" and therefore it may be difficult to separate.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Talas if you have never taken the tail cap off your hds than it might not be able to. Does your hds have the knurling on the very end? The older models come apart at the head end but thats it.