When, or will Surefire ever make multiple led lights?

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Well I was wondering if Surefire would make a multiple led light which would either run on primaries and on rechargeable or even a rechargeable flashlight like the L7.
A lot of the Chinese manufacturers seem to making multiple led lights and don't see why Surefier could not do so.

If they do decide then I don't think anyone would disagree about quality since I have the U2, L4 and L1 and absolutely love them:thumbsup:.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There's really no need for Surefire to make multi-LED lights. The ones made in China are mostly 5mm, not very bright, LEDs that are bunched together to get decent output. Often with a blue tint. I own a handful of these, cheap, no-name lights that are made in China. They're not very bright or well-made.

It's almost like asking, "Why doesn't Ferrari make an economy sedan?"

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if my question was not clear enough, but it is about multiple Cree lights or Seouls not the puny 5mm ones:crackup:.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I imagine that it won't be for years..(two or more). It just seems that they're very slow to move these days and it's only just becoming common even for a couple of the faster moving Asian manufacturers. If LEDs keep advancing in output and efficiency, which I'm sure they will, SF may never go to multi high-output LEDs. I wouldn't be surprised if the tri-Crees of today will be outdone by single LEDs in the near future. For now, you might have to settle for a Milky modded Surefire.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry if my question was not clear enough, but it is about multiple Cree lights or Seouls not the puny 5mm ones:crackup:.

In that case, output would be a close 2nd to that of the sun.... and runtime on two CR123 cells would be about 30 seconds! :sick2:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that case, output would be a close 2nd to that of the sun.... and runtime on two CR123 cells would be about 30 seconds! :sick2:

What rock have you been living under? :eek:
All kidding aside, it wouldn't surprise me if we see some sort of Multi Emitter LED from Surefire. Multi Emitter setups are very nice, the only thing is designing a reliable package/ host and optics setup. On 18650(s) it is wonderful with decent runtime on high and huge runtime on medium... whereas high is scorching and medium is as bright as high on any single emitter light. Running on primaries can be done I'm sure but will be ROFL vs 18650. Surefire seems to like battery sales so they'll find some way to make work on primaries.

jrv

Newly Enlightened
Surefire has done a multi-emitter head with reflectors around both emitters. It might well make sense to be able to slot a multi-emitter LED between, say, an M6 in output and a Beast. But then you get into sales cannibalization issues and the question of whether there's competitive pressure here, and whether there aren't other issues they'd be better off spending R&D resources on.

A multi-emitter LED head might also introduce issues with needing to sort & match LEDs to get color and output compatibility, even within the same bin. Nobody cares if a DX Chinese multi-emitter has three shades of green but they will if a SureFire does.

Some of Surefire's reluctance to use secondary (rechargeable) Lithium batteries may be battery sales but I'd bet most of it is safety. It's bad enough when those batteries fail in a cell phone, now imagine someone buying an 18650 from DX or KD and having it go off in a tightly sealed SureFire tube ... it'd be like shotgun blast with shrapnel going out the front.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

You've never seen the Milky Surefire U2 mod where he puts 4 Rebel LED's into a U2 body? There are tons of threads on mult-emitter LED lights using Cree's, SSC's, and Rebels.

Illum

Flashaholic
There's really no need for Surefire to make multi-LED lights. The ones made in China are mostly 5mm, not very bright, LEDs that are bunched together to get decent output.

makes you wonder why back in 2003 surefire had the KL2 running in their assembly line :thinking:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You've never seen the Milky Surefire U2 mod where he puts 4 Rebel LED's into a U2 body? There are tons of threads on mult-emitter LED lights using Cree's, SSC's, and Rebels.

Just having a bit of fun with the topic-starter. :D

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one area where the custom modder has the advantage over the big companies. I think might happen sometime before MagLite makes a Mag 85.