Do your eyes lose focus when using LED outdoors?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do your eyes lose focus when using LED outdoors?

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
Me not, but still, i think the "effect" may be because of poor color rendition of cold light emitters >6000.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
I've never noticed any lack of focus, whether it be white, red, uv, blue, green, etc that I'm using at the time.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red, yes; pushing 60, "slow accommodation" (the lens gets stiffer and focusing takes longer with age); and red isn't focused right on the retina, and worse with nearsightedness.

I've several times needed to read a combination lock, without my closeup glasses, and with only a red LED, in a very dark area.

Shining the light in my eyes to make the pupil contract works (briefly) to increase the depth of field and reduce the blur long enough ...

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Sometimes I lose focus after drinking too many beers...... :crackup:
On Topic: No, I've never noticed any focus problems with LED lights. In fact, without the yellow beam of a store bought incandescent, I think focus is better...

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
are you using one of those strobey lights which dont switch fast enough? Maybe the flashing light is affecting how you see things...

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I think I might experience something similar, though I probably wouldn't call it 'losing focus', but rather more like a loss of distance/depth information in certain environments. It can make distant objects look flat and it becomes more difficult to judge depth. It takes me longer to assess certain outdoor environments with LED light, as though I have to strain a bit before recognizing objects.

I just prefer incan light in some environments and I am willing to trade lower efficiency and a risk of bulb failure to use it.

hopkins

Enlightened
Start taking vitamins for your eyes - web search for good brands.

Have you had laser surgery on your eyes?
Do you normally need glasses/contacts to read or to see far ?
Got 20-20 vision ?
Any psychosomatic symptoms? Taking any blue pills?:naughty:

Hi Picard - what light do you use when the 'loss of focus happens'?
Details man! details!

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
When I tried my Princeton Tec Impact on an walk in the dark (small road in the forest many many years ago....), it was kind of a "blurry" experience. Quite hard to focus, but with my newer LED's like my Fenix P3D RB100 it's more like walking in the sun :)

But I got the Princeton Tec Impact for Christmas 2002 or 2003 so it's OLD :), but it's works fine in the car for close up use.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start taking vitamins for your eyes - web search for good brands.

Have you had laser surgery on your eyes?
Do you normally need glasses/contacts to read or to see far ?
Got 20-20 vision ?
Any psychosomatic symptoms? Taking any blue pills?:naughty:

Hi Picard - what light do you use when the 'loss of focus happens'?
Details man! details!

:crackup: