Resistance fix for old style M@glite D switch

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened
I am currently cleaning up an old D M@glite which had some alkaline battery leakage. It has the old style switch in good condition. I have done the resistance fixes on the new style switches but haven't seen anything about the older style. A search of the archives didn't turn up much. Apart from ProGolding the contacts and the tailcap spring fix is there anything that can be done to this switch. I gather that the new style switches can handle about 10A and some have suggested that the older style was better built but didn't specify a suitable maximum current load. Any suggestions. Thanks and Happy NewYear to all.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done a few of older style. Can do the solder wick solder from pr base to upper switch contact, or if using a bipin adaptor solder from adaptor pos to upper switch contact. Then solder ground wire from pr ground to light ground, again if using bipin adaptor solder from adaptor neg to light ground contact. Over the light's ground contact screw can solder a piece of metal ( I use copper plate and spray with silcone to retard tarnish), AKA JimmyM's strap, then solder the above ground wire from pr to it. Can lay a float of solder around the contact ring.

have fun, jim

I am currently cleaning up an old D M@glite which had some alkaline battery leakage. It has the old style switch in good condition. I have done the resistance fixes on the new style switches but haven't seen anything about the older style. A search of the archives didn't turn up much. Apart from ProGolding the contacts and the tailcap spring fix is there anything that can be done to this switch. I gather that the new style switches can handle about 10A and some have suggested that the older style was better built but didn't specify a suitable maximum current load. Any suggestions. Thanks and Happy NewYear to all.

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I will try that. How does the old style bulb holder handle heat and current compared to the new style.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
With old and new when using 5761 or higher amp bulbs, I wrap ceramic bat insulation around the pedistal and haven't melted one yet so looks ok. That is with a fully worked over switch and lowest resistance, with higher resistance of course comes more heat.

another bypass is solder a wire direct from socket neg, or bipin adaptor neg to light ground using JimmyM's strap.

Thanks, I will try that. How does the old style bulb holder handle heat and current compared to the new style.