Another A2 Question

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me start off by saying that, regardless of it's obvious runtime shortcommings, I am definately going to get this light. Although, i am going to wait until dealers have them in stock. Judging from past Surefire sale prices, it looks like the prices will not get any lower than around $140. But i don't mind, i believe it is work the price, considering the technology involved.

Okay...here are my questions.

After seeing and reading the reviews, graphs, pictures, and color temerature measurements, I still have a few questions about the A2's functions.

Here is the critical data i have seen so far.

General A2 vs. E2 runtime comparison
13784440.jpg

Graph of Runtime
a2vse2.gif

Color Temp:
A2: 3200K
E2: 3100K

This data, for me, give me the closest interpretation of an A2 without actually owning one.

But after reading the Surefire 2003 catalog, it says that, due to the regulation properties of the A2, "the Aviator's microprocessor saves enoegh power from the batteries to still run the LED's, even after they have been depleted to the point that they will no longer power it's incandescent lamp. Plenty of energy remains to power the LEDs. for MANY MORE HOURS, thanks to the peculiar property of LEDs..."

Having read this straight from the catalog, and not seeing this consistant with the online reivews, it makes me question if this is true...so far i don't think that it is.

From what i've heard, the LEDs stay on with the incadescent bulb. And judging from the light comparison picture (pic.1), I'm getting the impression that the LEDs die when the incandescent dies (at around 40-45 minutes). If this is true, it does not hold consistant with the catalogs claim, that the LEDs can last for many more hours after the incand. dies.

So what is the truth? Does the LED die at 45 minutes too, or does it keep burning for "many more hours" after that?

If it does or doesn't, will not really affect my purchase decision...the thought of having CONSTANT WHITE LIGHT for at least 35-40 minutes overides all it's shortcommings. But, if the LEDs do indeed stay on after then incandescent breathes it's last breath, then it would just be iceing on the cake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
NO! The LEDs remain on when the batteries can't power the bulb any longer.

It must be the photograph white sensitivity or something which is consistant with the designed and intended low output LED output.

Here's what happens.

A2 bulb output is regulated for 50 minutes (more useful runtime/light then an E2e MN03). I've never had a constant-one runtime of less than 40 minutes. I'm approaching my 30th set of SF123As through my A2.
Remember; intended useage will increase runtime compared to constant-on useage.

A2 bulb output then drops to "it's time to change the SF123As mode" for about 5-10 minutes depending on how you have used the batteries, and brand etc.
Then, the bulb goes out all together and the LED which have remained on all the time, continue to remain on.

Has anyone tested the runtime of the LEDs after the main bulb has gone out?
For that matter, has anyone tested the runtime if the LEDs without having used the main bulb?

I have not.

Al

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al,

Thanks for clearing that up!

SO, technically, the A2 will outshine the E2. While everyone was fussing about the A2s short runtime, i failed to remember that the LEDs were still there. The E2 may last another 20 minutes or so, but the light output isn't very usefull, it's yellow, and, besides, running down the batteries all the way on an MN03 would just shorten its life. I've gone through 2 MN03s already. They've died within 8-10 battery changes...and i think it was due to the fact that i ran them until the batteries couldn't run them anymore.

SurefireM6 brought to my attention the multiple tail-switch positions for the A2. It appears that the constant on position draws current for both the main lamp and the LEDs. I sounds like, even though the main lamp is spent, it is still drawing energy, eneoegh so that the LEDs will not work. The picture above shows the light with the tailswitch set to "constant-on".You have to back out of constant-on mode, and then the LEDs will work.

Anyway, please don't forget that the A2 will keep burning long after the incandescent dies out. I think it is a good trade off for the remaining 20 minutes thau the E2 can provide. The LEDs are whiter, and three of them is more than enoegh to find your way through a dark room.

It looks like the A2 is a better light in many ways.
1)the overall runtime of this light is not measured in minutes, but rather in hours, if you consider the LEDs.

2)You will have a longer-lasting bulb because the regulation circuitry has a "soft-start" feature, instead of hitting the bulb with full power at the start.

3)The brilliance you experience from an E2 with FRESH batteries, is the same brilliance you will have in the A2, expcept for a constant 40-50 minutes.

These are the 3 main reasons i am looking foreward to buying this light. I can't wait!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDagent:
Your pics show the A2 being whiter (and brighter?) than the E2 right from the get-go? Trick of the camera, or is it true? Thanks for starting this discussion, it's been interesting.

I had cancelled my order for the A2 based on what I've been reading, but subsequent threads, plus the fact that it impressed me when I handled one this weekend, are starting to change my mind.

I'm thinking of getting one with blue LEDs. Wonder how much that de-whites the main bulb when both are on?

Joe

WaltH

Enlightened
Joe, I have both the red and white versions of the A2. I do not see any difference in the main beam's between the two. So to answer your question...different colored LED's will not noticibly de-white the main bulb.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Actually, not to say anything against SureFire, BUT, although I find the red LEDs very useful, sometimes the "dewhitening" of the main beam can be seen. The LEDs give a coloured halo at close range. With the White, it makes the beam more white. With the Blue, it's a cool effect. With the reds, I "put up" with it (being a CPF member and a real fussy *******) because I find the reds so darn useful for my needs.

There, I've posted something about the A2 that doesn't shine poop.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
Yes Al, but at actual working distance of 15 feet or more (which is the only time I light the main bulb), I can not see the red. Maybe the blue is more noticeable.

And at close range, while it's got a halo, it does not tone down the whiteness of the main bulb.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Actually, not to say anything against SureFire, BUT, although I find the red LEDs very useful,
Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Al, why do you like the Red as opposed to white? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
For sneaking about when the rest of the house is asleep.
As you may have guessed from when I post, I don't sleep much and try not to disturb those who sleep at reasonable times (night).
I just find blue has more novelty then usefulness for me, and white - I have an L1 EDC also, so I need white less. I really want purple though for the cool factor... Or UV!

Al

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want an A2... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, i REALLY like the fact that you can switch the LED modules easily. Also, with the longevity(life and battery)of LEDs, the A2 would rarely leave you in the dark. If you blow out the bulb, the LEDs are still there to work. When the bulb runs out of juice, the LEDs can work for "many more hours." Cool... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet, another question...How will the different colored LED's effect the main beam? The clear LED's work great with the main lamp. I'd be curious to see what the main beam looks like with the other colored LED's...

--dan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Dano, there is another active thread on this I think.
in use, at close range, the coloured LEDs project a coloured "halo" around the main beam. Blue is kinda cool, red is less so but off-set by it's usefulness.
I expect that in normal use and normal range, the halo won't be a big deal. Think of it as a way to identify an A2 by it's beam!

Al

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
A UV A2 would be great: Honey... the pool side is so crowded. That's OK love I have the A2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
Al:

No wonder we have not been able to get A2's. You have the world's supply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Dano, there is another active thread on this I think.
in use, at close range, the coloured LEDs project a coloured "halo" around the main beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you guys, drunk? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's not a different active thread, it's 4 or 5 responses above you in this thread!

I'm leaning towards blue because, aside from usually being a little brighter than white, blue also serves the double-purpose of making you easily seen. Being seen easily at night while crossing the street, picking someone up, etc., seems like it might be useful to me. If not, I'll always be able to switch out the blue LEDs to white down the line.

Joe

Brock

Flashaholic
Joe I added that smiley above I hope you don't mind. I thought the same thing when I read that, just don't want people to get upset /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif