Malkoff Q5 in a vital gear fb2?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Will malkoff new Q5 fit in a vital gear fb2 if so I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

Jay T

Enlightened
Will malkoff new Q5 fit in a vital gear fb2 if so I'm a happy camper.

mine wont:(

neither will my BOG Premimum +

the head is just too tight.

oh well I have three more drop-ins on order, I'll have to see if any of them fit.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Jay T:

I'm running a BOG Q5 in a Vital Gear FB2. It was a pain getting it to work. Had to adjust it in and out until it finally worked. Then the bezel would not screw down flush. Had to use an o-ring to fill the gap. Ran it under the sink and all seems dry at this point.

I also tried this set up utilizing an older Vital Gear tail cap, the one with the leaf spring tabs and I can't get it to work no matter how much I try adjusting it. If you have the newer tail cap with the coil spring it will eventually work.

Now that it's working, I really like the BOG Q5 in the FB2, a very small and compact form factor. NOTE: When changing batts, replace through the tail cap end, don't unscrew the bezel or you will have contact problems, I did.

Come to think about it, I'm really not sure it was worth the hassle...
Just turned it on.................Yup it was worth it.:D

Let me know if you get it to work...

Best Regards:
Bob

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Are you talking about putting a 6P bezel on the FB2? I have never tried that. As you probably already know, the FB2 has a removable E to C adapter section at the body that when removed, allows you to run SF E-series bezels on the body..pretty nifty I think. Leaving this section on for a 6P bezel, if it threads down, may leave a gap like I experienced with the BOG Q5. The gap I encountered, btw, is were the actual bezel meets the top of the adapter section.

If you are thinking about something else, please advise, I'm always open to new suggestions...

Bob

Jay T

Enlightened
Jay T:

I'm running a BOG Q5 in a Vital Gear FB2. It was a pain getting it to work. Had to adjust it in and out until it finally worked.
Best Regards:
Bob

I took the front off and try and try I could not get the Malkoff in deep enough to make contact and make light:(

Time to break out the Dremel!

After a little grinding out of the FB2 head it drops right in and works! There is a very slight fingernail sized gap of no consequence.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks aJAY thats what i was looking for.I can do that kinda stuff myself.But if there was no way that it was going to fit i would of had to get another head So how do you like the malkoff in it?

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Jay T: Congratulations! Glad you got it to work! A Malkoff is next on my list and I have absolutely no idea in what light I'm going to put it in.

Bob

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know i think I'm all messed up here .First up till 24 hrs ago i never saw a vital gear light ''my bad'' i just got one off the sell forum cheap so when the seller stated that it had a p60 in it i assumed that the body/threads were compatible with a 6/9 p sf please in lighten me .

Jay T

Enlightened
You know i think I'm all messed up here .First up till 24 hrs ago i never saw a vital gear light ''my bad'' i just got one off the sell forum cheap so when the seller stated that it had a p60 in it i assumed that the body/threads were compatible with a 6/9 p sf please in lighten me .

The body and threads of the FB2 are E series sized. It came with a over sized head that would hold a P60 class lamp. You can either use the oversized head to hold a P60 class lamp or you can install an E series head.

FB2 on the left, standard P series bezel on the right.
FB2.jpg

Here is the whole FB family. The FB1 and FB3 have E series heads on them, but as soon as I am done posting I gona put the FB2s head on the FB1 and I will have the smallest Malkoff light on CPF!
FBs.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That helps out alot thanks can you take the head of the f2b apart? if you did it looks like a p series head might screw into it Man do i sound stupid or what?

Jay T

Enlightened
Yes you can take the VG head apart. On the SF P series head the threads are some what up inside towards the middle. The Front part of the VG head is like a P series head, but, with the non threaded skirt cut off. You can put the VG front onto a P series body, however it will not cover as far as it should. You can not put the P series head onto the the lower part of the VG head the bottom skirt will prevent the threads from ever meeting.

As I said I would here is my 1 cell Malkoff!
smallmalk.jpg

The good news is that it works, the bad is that even with a RCR123 cell reading 4V it isn't full brightness. It's almost as bright as my P3D Q5. The current must be dragging the cells voltage down too far. Perhaps it would work with a fully charged 4.2V cell.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Jay you have helped out much thank you and that is on neat light you put together wonder what the run time would be?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
And I would be more than happy to be the guinea pig. I'm running a P60L in my 3P now, and it's not great, but it's far better than the incan module that was in it before.

-Steve

Gene43

Enlightened
This is a pure guesstimate. But I'll say maybe 1hr and 150+ lumens on a 123 primary. I'll get some parts together and see.