Your Favorite X-Mas Toys

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what did you guys get for Xmas that you really really like?
This includes the stuff you got for yourself.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself got the following presents.

braunhe8.jpg

My wife got me this. She can't stand me using my 8 yrs old Remington shaver anymore. Hat's off to all the thoughtful wives out there.

makitajf8.jpg

I got myself this to replace my Dewalt 18V XRP. It's 1/2 the weight (3.5 lbs with battery). Almost the same amount of torque and as you all know minimal self discharge, so it's always ready when I need it.

I bought a Dewalt 36V A123 pack to swap out the batteries between the two unit. So I feel a little bit safer.

BTW: What do you use an impact driver for. It's RPM is WAY WAY WAY to fast for driving and te hex bit makes tooling (drill bits) expensive to use.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, if by impact driver you mean the same thing as an impact wrench, then it should slow down just fine. An impact wrench will deliver maximum torque even at zero rpm. Try holding the chuck firmly with your hand and giving the trigger a squeeze, you should get a sharp jolting turn on the chuck and a vaguely machine-gun rattle sound from the impact driver. Great for loosening or tightening stubborn nuts and bolts.

My best present was the naughty underwear I bought for my hot wife. :devil:

:buddies:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think impact driver is same as impact wrench. Impact wrench has square male end that you can put socket on, but impact driver only has the hex female end that only fits those exchangeable screw driver bits.

I don't know their use either, maybe for driving screws into hard wood quickly when you are doing construction?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I got three main presents, and I like them all. They all fell into the category of "upgrade".

The HD tivo is fantastic. It has two tuners and it catches digital, premium and HD channels with great clarity. It includes utilities that let me download to my PC for watching from other places. Quite cool and much nicer than my 8 year old Series 1 TiVos. Now I can start recording MY choices again. The other three TiVos were taken over by shows "we both watch" (haha).

The Garmin 760 GPS is a replacement for my older Streetpilot III. The touch scheen makes entering addresses easy, and the big, wide screen lets me see the aproaching streets long before I get there. I commute 70 miles a day, and the traffic / accident reporting feature helps determine my route home.

I already posted about the Dorcy 145 lumen 6xAAA light. I think it's a K2, special build for Costco, but I'm not sure. Very bright and nice in the hand, a two stage that can be blinding.

A very good christmas indeed.

Daniel

da.gee

Enlightened
My favorite total gadgety non-flashlight gift was a pair of Canon 8x25 image stabilized binoculars. Total want it gift that my wife kindly indulged. I can read the TV in the neighbor's house 200 yards away!

Hey! I had to test them right?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
A PVR (personal video recorder). This was my wife and my birthday and Christmas present(s) to each other, so we got it back in summer.

It really does change the way you watch TV. Skip through commercials. Pause when the phone rings or someone comes to the door. Watch what you want instead of what's on right now.

I find that I watch less TV now (but more of what I want) since sometimes I used to sit down at 10 minutes after the hour (say) and then watch 20 minutes of something that I didn't really care for until the show I wanted started at half past the hour. Now I just sit down and watch the show I really wanted.

Greg

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I'm a big-time tea drinker (none of that packaged bagged stuff either!), and I got this from my mom, after she overheard me saying my old one broke:

teagrenmj6.jpg

It's an enamel-covered cast iron teapot, made in France, by Staub. It's the GOODS!

If anyone's interested in tea, I recommend two online shops for loose tea: Tea Gschwendner and Rishi Tea - both have a great selection of organic teas, which is what I try and stick to.

Great topic, Jonathan! :thumbsup:
john

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked out one of those iPod Touch (like the phone) things Apple sells. Didn't buy it, maybe next year, but it's pretty neat. The graphics and interface are amazing. Totally fluid. I hope Steve Jobs sent one free to Bill Gates just to rub it in.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I got a great visit with my parents and grandmother, and a wonderful quiet evening with the wife that I wouldn't trade for the world. I met my new brother in law, too.

Materially, my wife got me a 15,000,000 candlepower spotlight. I cant remember the brand right now, but it's fun to play with. I can light up the lower edge of our closest field with it, which is great to see what the dogs are barking at late at night. She also got me a ton of hockey cards, which have proved to be more addicting than I expected. :laughing: Our friends got us a bottle of Tullamore Dew, and a bottle of Kahlua.

I think the most fun gift was the E2E I gave my stepdad. He fell in love with mine when he first saw it, but he and my mother would never actually spend the money for one. He was like...well, a kid on Christmas morning opening it. Mom says he's been going outside at night just to play with it. :D

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by this, an impact driver is just a smaller impact wrench. They appear to be available in both socket drive and hex drive.

:buddies:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya impact drivers are portable light weight powerhouses for your tool pack.

I got myself some stuff for my U2 after Christmas batteries etc. I loved everything I got for xmas though.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I'm a big-time tea drinker (none of that packaged bagged stuff either!), and I got this from my mom, after she overheard me saying my old one broke:

teagrenmj6.jpg

It's an enamel-covered cast iron teapot, made in France, by Staub. It's the GOODS!

If anyone's interested in tea, I recommend two online shops for loose tea: Tea Gschwendner and Rishi Tea - both have a great selection of organic teas, which is what I try and stick to.

john

That looks sweet :thumbsup:

So far, my favorite was the final Harry Potter book, followed by some excellent Merino-wool socks from Costco.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79, does that teapot have a built in infuser?

Let see....my favorite thing is my new Nokia 6120 Classic phone. It's in the "regular" phone class, which means very small and compact, but it's actually an S60 (Nokia's smartphone operating system) based smartphone with all the bells & whistles (it's something like a pint sized N73). I've never had a bluetooth phone and now that I'm using one, I love it way more than I thought I would. It's got pretty fast internet, too. The other day, I was looking for a street that wasn't in my older edition of the Thomas guide and I was able to hop online with the mobile Yahoo program that I downloaded to my phone and bring up a map *very* easily! That's mobile yahoo program is great, especially since I use a Yahoo email address. I put in a 2gig micro sd card, too, so I'm ready to load it up with MP3s, videos and photos. I'm sooooo happy with it! I also got a nice beanie.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast

teagrenmj6.jpg

john

I don't drink tea but that could turn a guy to drink (tea). I love simple quality and that is about the coolest tea pot ever.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

teagrenmj6.jpg

john
Looks like a fire hydrant/extinguisher! No, it is cool though.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Christmas was messed up by my whole family being ill with flu/eye infection/asthma brought on by flu. By Christmas day I was feeling the effects of nursing my 5 year old through five nights of asthma coughing. I almost fainted making breakfast. I should have been driving to my sisters that morning, but didn't feel safe/well enough to drive.

The best gift was my brother in law driving down (1.5 hrs each way) and picking us up to stay at theirs for Christmas. My sister and her family saved our Christmas, and saved my family from having to eat Christmas meal cooked by me!