What is the brightest 1 AA flashlight ever made?

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I am new to the forums and I recently started getting interested in flashlights. I want to get a really powerful, possibly the best 1 AA flashlight there ever is right now. Can you guys recommend me one? How about a 2 AA?

Do Eneloop rechargeable batteries work well with those flashlights? If not, which one are good? I already ordered these one tho. Thanks!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Let me be the first to welcome you to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers to yer' question(s).

Enjoy your visit here. Oh, and hide your wallet and credit cards.

Don't say you haven't been warned ! :D

_

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
All light bulbs are replaceable right? How much do they usually cost and is it easy to install? Where do I ordered these parts from?

Marduke

Flashaholic
All light bulbs are replaceable right? How much do they usually cost and is it easy to install? Where do I ordered these parts from?

LED's are not like light bulbs, they do not burn out and will likely not need replacing for the life of the light.

They are all LED lights and the LEDs are hard to get to.

You will have to buy the whole light.

Not true. The above mentioned lights have easily accessible emitters, which can be switched out with newer, more efficient emitters if so desired.

Zenster

Enlightened
The Fenix L2D-CD/Q5 has been the brightest 2xAA light available for some time now, and it still is today.

It's almost a "perfect" light because it's exactly the same size as a MagliteAA, puts out an amazing amount of bright light, but also has other brightness selections to where you can use it at a lower power level and make the batteries last over 50 hours with still plenty of light to get the job done.

As far as batteries, it works great on Eneloops and other NimH rechargeables, but it also eats Alkaline and Lithium primaries so you have plenty of options for when the house lights go out and you can't recharge batteries anymore.
The LED itself will NEVER have to be replaced because it will never fail, so replacebility isn't an issue at all. And while you can upgrade many lights with newer emitters as they are developed, the L2D is built as a "unit" so even if you could change out the LED later, I wouldn't. I'd just buy a "new and improved" version when it ever comes out and keep the original as STILL being a helluva light to have on hand.

Seriously, I have a handful of lights which include a DBS, CL1H, A9s, AE Xenide 25W, converted Maglites, D-Mini, E1L (and many others), but if I see a bright, mushroom shaped flash in the distance some night and have to immediately head out of town, the only light I'd take is the L2D-CE/Q5 and a package of AA primary batteries.
It's that good.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Not true. The above mentioned lights have easily accessible emitters, which can be switched out with newer, more efficient emitters if so desired.

Yes, you are probably correct(But might be difficult for someone who hasn't modded before). The newer Fenix lights shouldn't be that hard for a LED swap, I think all you will have to do is screw out the reflector part(Hardest part, the top part of the bezel is glued) and then the LED is exposed(Don't know, haven't done it before).

The Nitecore will be harder but not impossible.

LEDs don't burn out(unless you over drive them a lot), they dim slowly as they age(Thousands of hours).

If you want to know the cost, the Cree XR-E Q5 LED can be had at $9 the cheapest and up to $15(Don't know the exact numbers).

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Let say it ever burns out, is it hard to install them? Is any soldering required? Because I don't know how to. The Nitecore sounds good, how much does it cost? I went to the site but it doesn't say anything.

I also ordered a Ultrafire C3 2 weeks ago but haven't received it. However, I discovered there is a 5 mode model of C3 is out. Does the normal 1 mode C3 have a better advantage than the 5 mode? Also, is this light any good? It seemed cheap so I bought it.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Oh yes . . . .

You'd DEFINITELY hafta' solder it in. :)

But don't be too worried about this.

You'll probably never encounter a burned-out LED.

And if you DO . . . .

You'll simply look at it as an opportunity to buy a NEW and BETTER flashlight. :whistle:

_

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc Mania produced a Maxlite II that was AA and extrmely rugged and powerful. Lighthound stocked when they were readily availible.

Search and I'm sure there are reviews and they do turn up on BST.....

I owned one (and sold) and it was extremely bright
Picture of one I owned
133604754-M.jpg

jeffb