Brinkmann's 5-3-2 light. cool concept.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been poking around on Brinkmann's site and it seems there's a lot of newer offerings. (1xAA, 1xAAA, 2xAAA lights of different variety) This light 5-3-2 light they have gives you the options of using that many D cells. 5, 3 or 2. It's a modular light.
http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail.aspx?category=Flashlights+%26+Spotlights&subcategory=Flashlights&sku=800-1060-2&series=FLA-2000-0&seriesname=Aluminum&id=111

Whoa. Check out this light too. It's a 2D with high and low. Each setting has it's own switch on the body.
http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detai...=FLA-2000-6&seriesname=Legend Aluminum&id=157

^If that light has an LED in it, I'm gonna have to abuse the credit card. :(

Last edited:

bones_708

Enlightened
They've added the name "Pro-grip" but that's all that's really new about it. They have had the modular flashlight setup for years. Not bashing it mind you, it's not a bad light and I've always liked the concept.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh never knew that, thanks.

Any idea if the 1xAA/1xAAA/3xAAA models or that previously mentioned 2 switch 2D are LED based? They seem to come up short on that info.

rala

Newly Enlightened
yeah, i got the 5-3-2 light back in '94 or '95. it was a nice light. had i known about using different bulbs other than what brinkmann recommended, i would have kept it for a nice hotwire. but like bones said, the only real difference between the one i had and the new one is the grip. come to think of it, i think it had a different head too. it was so long ago.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Brinkmann 5-3-2 back in the 90's. What I didn't realize when I bought it, when you switch to a different number of batteries, you need to change the bulb to match, and those bulbs weren't included. Ooops. So I just left it as a 5D, and didn't use it much, because it was long, heavy and awkward to use.

Last year I converted it down to 2D, put in a pair of 3AA to 1D adapters, running 6 NiMH batteries, powering a 5 cell Xenon bulb. It's a nice combination, a bit brighter than the original 5D, rechargeable, and runs 2.5 hours on a full charge.

I keep thinking, with two of the 5-3-2 lights, you could make any battery length from 2D up to 10D (except for 9D). I can't figure out what I would do with it, though.

EssLight

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design goes back into the '70s. Used to be sold as the Code-4 before Brinkmann started selling them. I have several, but I've never been a fan because they seem to be poorly made for a modern flashlight.

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
Funny thing is, I have one of these I bought as a kid back in the late 80's.....I know I know, to some of you I'm still a kid (30) But anyway, I just dug it up about a week ago and started thinking the same thing about having two and doing a monster mod with it.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same concept with P60 style drop-ins. The M60W I use can run on multiple battery configurations. I've got mine running on 3XCR123 cells in a 6P+A19 tube so I can reload it with 2 or 3 cells depending on battery availability.

kelmo