Fenix L2D CE Q5 vs Task Force 2C CREE

L2D CE Q5 advertised as 180 lm
Lowe's exclusive Task Force 2C Cree advertised as ~150 lm

Surely, someone's got both and I'd like to see side-by-side comparison. Ceiling bounce and throw in particular.

Anyone?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
This should be interesting. Just how far up the latter does the TF scale? Its probably not too far off to assume the Lowes TF is lower build quality in just about every aspect, but then again I have never A/B compared the two.

If any San Jose area members want to meet up an A/B compare them, I can bring a new TF to the party:wave: I'm kind of curious myself... If I had one complaint about the TF, its too big, and can forsee an L2D in my future.

Last edited:
This should be interesting. Just how far up the latter does the TF scale? Its probably not too far off to assume the Lowes TF is lower build quality in just about every aspect, but then again I have never A/B compared the two.

If any San Jose area members want to meet up an A/B compare them, I can bring a new TF to the party:wave: I'm kind of curious myself... If I had one complaint about the TF, its too big, and can forsee an L2D in my future.

To be fair, the TF 2C runs fine on alkaline battery while the L2D requires NiMH for decent performance.

If the body was designed for 2AA and fed with NiMHs, it would work just as well. I run mine on 2 x C NiCd

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I have a stock original 135 lumen L2D CE. On ceiling bounce, the Task Force lights up the room quite a bit brighter than the L2D, and as for the throw, that's obvious. Build "quality" is nicer on the L2D, but I'm willing to bet the Task Force has far more build "durability".

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stock original 135 lumen L2D CE. On ceiling bounce, the Task Force lights up the room quite a bit brighter than the L2D, and as for the throw, that's obvious. Build "quality" is nicer on the L2D, but I'm willing to bet the Task Force has far more build "durability".

Hmm, sounds like a good light. Oh bugger, I was only going to buy myself an l2d and be happy with that....:oops:

Where can I get them in the UK? :whistle:

Mike89

Enlightened
Build "quality" is nicer on the L2D, but I'm willing to bet the Task Force has far more build "durability".

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I had 2 TF C (original) lights and both crapped out after a year (cutting off and on, losing contact).

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I have one of the old Lux III ones too, the switch was horrid on it as well as the soldering and the contacts. I've throughly disassembled and cleaned this new one, and it is a lot better than the old one.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
A severe flickering problem was noticed on this light after physical impacts. The light exhibited a strobing flicker, remaining constant in frequency and decaying in amplitude, which made me think of a spring's behavior when hit. I opened up the bezel and sure enough, there was a ton of debris lying around that largest spring under the star. Used Deoxit on everything and swabbed then hard-toothbrush cleaned, and deoxed once more.

The soldering to the star on this one is much better. Build on the inside parts of the light are a bit messy, with burrs and debris, but everything else is in fact pretty solid (THICK construction :)), the large spring under the star even providing shock absorption (though maybe not SO great of heatsinking, but the pill is attatched to quite a bit of metal anyway). I'd rate bang for the buck around 7 / 10 after cleaning. Thing's I don't like so much about the new build are the plastic instead of metal button, and the nice rubber grip which I wouldn't mind seeing a knurled metal grip / no rubber. I actually like the hexagonal anti-roll fins, and the tips are sharp enough to probably hurt if used as a striking weapon. I see why some would like a round, non-finned bezel, but I also like this one.

Edit: The TF 2C Cree doesn't flicker even after a 3 foot drop onto concrete.

Last edited:

Kremer

Enlightened
L2D CE Q5 advertised as 180 lm
Lowe's exclusive Task Force 2C Cree advertised as ~150 lm

I have both, my l2d has the OP reflector. On ceiling bounce the fenix clearly lights up the room more. Going outside in my yard the fenix will light up about everything in a 50 degree arc in front of it with a nice smooth spill and medium well defined spot. The spot will cover and light up the whole side of my neighbors big house which is about 100 yards away with no problem. The TF CREE is more of a handheld LED spotlight, with nearly no spill. It'll put a 15-20' bright spot on the side of the same house, which is much brighter than from the fenix, but nothing else is lit up because almost all all the light is in the beam.

When I walk the dog I use the fenix on medium for navigation, it lets me see where I'm going and lights up the whole sidewalk in front of me, I can bump up the power to see further if necessary. I take the TF along to shine around in people's yards without getting it into their windows and annoying them.

Sorry, I have no comparison beamshots right now.
~Dougk

Last edited: