Cheap VERY bright flashligh?

sawlight

Enlightened
OK, I am bored!! I have time to kill and want to play with something!!!
I have my 120p for my EDC, my E2E for the nighstand and the Cheap Wal-mart Sportsman 1 watt 2AA LED in my tool bag a work.
I want something with a major WOW factor that is inexpensive to put together and uses easy to find batteries. I am mechanichly inclined, but these lights seem to kick my butt!!! So easy is good!! And freinds and family may want something like it in the future, so I may have to build a few of them. I am thinking under $50, any suggestions?

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cheap flamethrower?

It sounds like you don't have anything yet that will turn off a street light. A Mag85 would be a very good choice - Approx 800 lumens out the front.

Parts:
3 x 18650 batteries
potted WA1185 bulb, or bipin WA1185 bulb + bipin holder/adapter
Aluminum reflector
borofloat or mineral glass lens
Mag 4C flashlight used as host.
Original Mag switch works fine, but you could upgrade to an AW soft start, 3 level switch.

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened

It sounds like you don't have anything yet that will turn off a street light. A Mag85 would be a very good choice - Approx 800 lumens out the front.

Parts:
3 x 18650 batteries
Aluminum reflector
Original Mag switch works fine, but you could upgrade to an AW soft start, 3 level switch.

I want one of those for myself, but that is a lot more than I want to put into this. This is the Walmart/Sears/Lowes/HF/Sams run of the mill build. Cheap fun.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Parts:
3 x 18650 batteries
Aluminum reflector

Or a Husky/BD/Vector 1MCP spotlight with 7 Cree P60 dropins running in parallel off of 12 AA Eneloops. About 1000 torch lumens for an hour.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's one of the latest super thrower lights from DealExtreme: The Romisen RC-T5.
sku_10452_3_small.jpg

Only $49.29 shipped. It has 4 nice Cree Q4's arranged in a single head. So bright, it'll burn the hair off your back. :crackup:

Bryan

Enlightened
-Ultrafire WF-500 from DX ($25)
-LF lamp ($20.99)
-LG 18650 cells (maybe $20-$25)

I'm assuming you have a charger, but you can get one from AW pretty cheap if you need one. I'm hoping this combo is similar to the output of the M6 with MN21. Maybe better! The lamp is rated at 630 lumens. I wanted a cheap, bright light to carry in my 4Runner that I wouldn't exactly cry over if it was stolen. I'll never leave a Surefire in my cars!

sawlight

Enlightened
"Normal", as in walk in to any store and buy them, batteries are a MUST!! 123's and more common.

AaronM

Enlightened
The Romisen RC-F4 is pretty impressive for being so small...
It's very well built and it's fifteen FREAKING dollars!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Get a spotlight. for $50 you can get one of the BIG ones. Check out the "thor" style lights. They have one at most advanced auto stores for about $40. Runs about 15-20 minutes at best, pumps out a good 2000 lumens or so. rechargeable, easy.