P1D outshines a P3D ?

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks

I'm still new to these higher performance lights but I was surprised yesterday when I received my P3D Q5 from FenixStore. I've had a P1D Q5 for a couple months now and have been impressed by the output from this little firehouse. After reading forums like this I was expecting even greater things from a P3D. But head to head it seems the output of these two on high (turbo) is about the same, with even a slight edge to the P1D.... :shrug:

On arrival the P3D was not terribly well prepared - absolutely zero lubrication on the threads (awful grinding getting the caps off the first time, even with great care). But I lubed it up nicely, cleaned the contacts (Deoxit) and popped in fresh CR123s.

No beamshots at the moment, but the spot of the P3D is similar to the P1D, and the spill a tiny bit less bright. I haven't used them outdoors yet, so perhaps the P3D throws better, etc.

I know the runtimes on the P3D will be better, and I really like the clicky - very responsive but not super 'touchy' like the JetBeam switch. But I was expecting more from the P3D beam.

Both lights were tested with new Energizer lithium CR123s. (I plan to use my Tenergy 900 mAh RCR123s most of the time). And both lights do indicate 'Premium Q5' on the bezel.

So should I:
a) be really happy that the P1D Q5 is such an amazing light in a small package (great EDC size for me as I have to dress for business, etc), and understand that the main advantage of the P3D will be runtime for hikes and similar applications?
or
b) Consider RMA'ing the P3D Q5 (if other folks that have both lights can tell me there should be a noticeable difference?)

Thanks for your input and Happy New Year !!

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...should I:...Consider RMA'ing the P3D..
Due to the eye's logarithmic sensitivity, it is VERY difficult to visually compare brightness with any accuracy.

Here's how to illustrate that on the P3D. Shine it on a wall on high, then tighten the bezel to turbo mode. Visually it only gets slightly brighter.

Yet when I measure it with my lux meter, output goes up 82% !!

The P1D Q5 is rated by Fenix at 180 lumens on turbo, the P3D Q5 is (I think) 215 lumens. That's only a 19% difference, hardly detectible to the eye.

A slight difference in beam pattern can trick your eye. The classic example is the Streamlight Propoly 4AA, which doesn't have much output (by current standards), but looks very bright due to a tight, well-designed beam pattern.

One possibility is your P3D is really brighter, it just doesn't appear so visually because of the human eye's logarithmic sensitivity.

Another possibility is you got a "strong" P1D and/or a "weak" P3D, however I think this is less likely.

My main recommendation is get an expensive lux meter, learn to use it and measure your own lights. It will be educational for both your present situation and the future.

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1 to what joema said.

Just out of curiousity, what reflector does each light have?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
as P36 mentioned reflector type can be the key.

i have nearly all Fenix models in both smooth and textured reflectors. the textured reflectors, to the eye, consistently appear dimmer than their smooth counterparts as well as dimmer than other smooth reflectored models (P4 to P4 comparisons and Q5 to Q5 comparisons). additionally, i have a P1D-CE with a smooth reflector (my very first Fenix) that is brighter to my eye than any other Fenix i own (excluding T1's), including all my Q5's - the sole exception is a newer P1D-Q5 which is just very slightly brighter, but noticeable. LED bins also span a range of Lumen values, so that can be a factor too. your P1D might be at the upper end of it's LED bin Lumen range and the P3D-Q5 nearer the lower end. i have a P2D-Q2 with textured reflector that appears no brighter than any of my other P4's - in fact it appears dimmer than some.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably won't see much difference between a p1d q5 and a p3d p4, but a p3d q5 will be brighter.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have a light meter, but do have a camera, and you want to determine relative output, you could take side-by-side beamshots with the camera on a few manual settings. You will be able to see relative outputs that your eyes couldn't detect.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input, folks. Both lights have textured reflectors, all OP.

Will look into a lux meter a bit down the road, would be interesting indeed. May try a few beamshots as was also suggested, though I am about as new to digital photography as I am LED flashlights lol

In the meantime maybe I'll float the whole story back to FenixStore, see if they have any similar experience with the bin issues.

I realize this is all a matter of a few lumens here and there.
Wait, that's blasphemy ! :tsk:

Green Lantern

Newly Enlightened
I have had a similar experience with my P3D Q5 and my P1-CE (as a 90 lumen flashlight it is comparable to the P1D). Depending on which batteries you use the runtime will vary, but the P1-CE can completely compare with it's brightness. Here is a beam shot:

IMG_1716.jpg

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
The tint also makes a lot of difference. I used to have a p2d Q2 and did compare it to my Rebel 100 P3D. It`s like night and day! The Rebel 100 turbo has a WOW! factor.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I am comparing a Q5 with a Q5 though, so maybe it's just the way things must be. Emailed FenixStore just to see if they've had similar complaints or experiences. The hotspot on the P3D is also a little ragged compared with the P1D, and has an irregular greenish hue to the edge. Maybe I did get a bit of a dud.