Does an LED light exist equivalent to Surefire M3T?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Does an LED flashlight exist that is equivalent to a Surefire M3T in output, throw, and durability/reliability? If so, please tell me before I drop the coin on an M3T.

flash_bang

Enlightened
can you say Milky mods? Honestly, there is no surefire quality light that has the throw and output of the M3T in LED. If you can get an L6, you might like that, but that doesn't have equal throw or output…
It's much less output, but the M2 with a P60L is pretty darn good as far as output, and the construction is bombproof.

HAGO,
Flash

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
What are you going to use the light for?

Well... nothing to be honest. I just want to get an M3T to add to the collection but feel that it being an incan is inferior to some of todays LEDs. But if it's still king of the hill in its class...

One light I did find was the Tiablo A9 with a Cree Q5 in it. But I'd still bet on the Surefire for durability and reliability.

Illum

Flashaholic
...but feel that it being an incan is inferior to some of todays LEDs.

todays LEDs are still no match for incandescent...someday perhaps there will be LED clusters that actually simulate white light like that of incan with multiple wavelengths. sure LEDs can be 150 lumen/watt, but good luck on proper color rendition....unlike incandescent, which is based off of the full spectrum.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Today's -smaller- incans are no match to LEDs for efficiency, performanced/durability, AND even overall output now (not including HID's and hotwire incans of course), and with color rendition, good luck reading a multicolored map correctly with an incan...

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're getting it just for kicks, there's no other light equal. The M3 is bright, tough, small, and well balanced. The light is one of the most perfect incandescents on the market, and an excellent flashlight all around.

flash_bang

Enlightened
L.E.D. - I'm assuming you mean lux? but I'm not sure… btw, what's the diff between lux and lumens? is one a unit of point light and the other per meter squared?
TIA,
Flash

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend measured a 3 emitter drop-in in the Mag today. 350 lumens out the front, calibrated. At 1.5A. on 3D Alkalines.

The Ostar's are way beyond that, apparently. They have emitters up to 30 watts, though they seem to be floody rather than pencil beam. With that much light I think the flood is more useful anyway, for me.

-- Alan

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... nothing to be honest. I just want to get an M3T to add to the collection but feel that it being an incan is inferior to some of todays LEDs. But if it's still king of the hill in its class...

One light I did find was the Tiablo A9 with a Cree Q5 in it. But I'd still bet on the Surefire for durability and reliability.

The Tiablo is made of a tougher aluminum alloy and is a well-made light. Very high quality and high grade finish.

It has a very tight beam with amazing throw. I have not seen a comparison to the M3 (I have the Tiablo but not the M3). They are so different I'm not sure they are in the same 'class'.

Buy them both..

-- Alan

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hmmm....an M3 with turbo head produces 125 to 225 lumens (depending on which incan tower that's used).

Why not do a SF 9Z with a Malkoff Drop-in that gives you about 200 lumens. In a much smaller package too.

-Steve

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo is made of a tougher aluminum alloy and is a well-made light. Very high quality and high grade finish.

It has a very tight beam with amazing throw. I have not seen a comparison to the M3 (I have the Tiablo but not the M3). They are so different I'm not sure they are in the same 'class'.

Buy them both..-- Alan

My A9 is on the way from lighthound.com I chose that light as my "super thrower" John at lighthound is a class act.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any lux readings at 1 meter from the SF M3T? Looks like a great light, and should throw very well. The only thing I have in a small high powered incan is the Ultrafire WF-500. It's rated for 500 lumens, but I've heard it maybe more in the 400-450 lumen range. At 1 meter the LUX reading is about the same as my DBS. The throw is similar, but the WF-500 is throwing out a lot more light (larger beam). It has an OP reflector, so I don't know how that compares to the SF M3T.

Here are beams shots of my WF-500 and my DBS, same exposure, but white balance set to incan for the incan, and daylight for the DBS LED, distance to target is around 600 feet:

Ultrafire WF-500 running two AW protected 18650's:

Dereelight DBS:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had a SF M3 and a Tiablo A8Q5 as well as a MRV SE Q5 I can say that the M3T will not throw as far as most of the Q5 led throwers. I would also give overall output to the led throwers. The led throwers will also give you a much brighter spillbeam and not cost you $$$ feeding them 3x123a's every 20 minutes.

That being said... NONE of the led throwers I have had felt like they would survive a fall to the asphalt from even 4' without their glass bezels breaking. None offered the heft and solid feel of the M3.

The only led light that I have used that has the M3's toughness and similar brightness besides the T1 is the Pelican 7060. It is also a rechargeable light, so is free to use... it is not that pretty though.

If you decide on the Surefire, I would highly recommend a extension 123a tube (or get the M4) so you have more rechargeable options. When I had my M3, 2x17500's would not power the HO 225lm lamp. It was the only lamp I really liked in the light, so I bought a lot of 123a's over the few years I had the light. Just my .02

Edit: As to reading a map.... good luck using an super thrower led or a M3T to read a map....Unless you are wearing very dark sunglasses... and then we get into true color rendition problems:)

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had a SF M3 and a Tiablo A8Q5 as well as a MRV SE Q5 I can say that the M3T will not throw as far as most of the Q5 led throwers. I would also give overall output to the led throwers. The led throwers will also give you a much brighter spillbeam and not cost you $$$ feeding them 3x123a's every 20 minutes.

Comparing my A9 and a 9v SF Turbohead, I'd agree.