were would i start.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
redarrow1000.gif
Portable? Backpack mini generator?
Stationary spotlight? Hand held torch? Might as well go big!
HPS-1000.jpg

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats your knowledge on building hid lights?

Gotta spend some money I know that :)

You read this thread? PPl saying 400w seems the best build. Id go with 1000w anyday, but weight is an issue with ballast & battery setup.

Later.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
Most people like myself in showing off a light usually need less than 10 minutes to "show off" a light. In thinking of terms like a special effects Hollywood mega torch effect its conceivable to build something that has such a blinding effect albeit temporary at the cost of short duration, battery packs or concealed power supplies. For a functioning tool you will be expected to spend several hundreds of dollars easily, but with an 8D truck battery, a 2000W inverter and an industrial MH lamp with a homemade reflector fabricated from a bowl out of a restaurant supply house anything is possible. For just bragging rights then you need to use unique imagination and thats as rare as hens teeth nowadays.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
sperry00.jpg
If I were to really experiment I would use my portable arc welder, some large carbon rods and misc. slow motor gears, discs and timers, thermocouples, fresnel lenses, old satellite dishes maybe and build a modern day Sperry searchlamp.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
I thought something like this could be a simple way to start, just substitute modern power supplies like a fluorescent ballast or an inverter etc.

Sorry to go so far off in left field but I like the vacant fields better when I try to hit home runs.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well none of that is in my plans for a HID monster. For me its all about practical, not show & tell. Compact, lite weight, solid runtimes, with alot of light.

Cloud burner,
There are many bulbs & lamps. But you should really ask member: ez67

he knows alot more on this subject then me.

What shootouts u lookin 4? I got the newest shootout in my sigline. Heres the old shoot outs

Later.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13725&page=3

Try what these guys have done and then think about using a 35watt HID auto bulb kit like on Ebay, I suggest between 4300-5000K for the maximum light. Or design (or buy) a reflector that was designed for dual halogen lamps and convert to dual HID, that should give you about 3000-3500 lumens per each 4300K HID bulb.

Or just start simple...
dischargelamp.jpg

Last edited:

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
hellfighter_pic2_large.jpg
hellfire.jpg
The Surefire hellfire would look pretty cool if it had a portable efficient power supply. The Ma Deuce .50 is optional.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first i thought nothing of him.
cloudburner pm me B4 saying he got the maxablaster mixed up with the maxabeam. yer right..

Then he replied with " I wanna build a HID Monster" All I want to know is how many lumens the 1000watt puts out? + other random nonsense.

Dam troll.

MR admin Bart, maybe close this thread.