Dereelight CL1H; Which is more reliable: 2SM or 2SD???

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
My recently purchased 2SM doesn't work properly (no low mode). Dereelight has offered to send a new pill: either a 2SM or 2SD. Which is more reliable? Dereelight says both are just as reliable. I don't really want the 2SD because of the whole momentary click switch operation but I don't want the new 2SM pill to go bad again either. Any suggestions as to which one I should get? Thanks!

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2SM pill worked fine until I put the battery in backwards. :) I just bought a replacement. If a 2SM is what you really want, I'd give another a try.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine also had a CL1H 2SM go bad after he put the battery in backwards. Only the low stage worked after that. My 2SM module went bad on my DBS, but I'm not exactly sure why - It now gives me high mode only. It might be because the bezel was tightened too much. I let a friend of mine see it, and I think he cranked down the bezel too much, because when I went to switch modes it was super tightened down. I think I read something that mentioned this could damage the curcuit.

I have a 3SD in both my Dereelights now, and they work excellent for my purposes - and no more whine in low or medium..:grin2:. They also run at 1.2a on high instead of 1a. They seem to be much more reliable in my experiences. It seems like the 2SM modules are too easily damaged IMO. I've read several of posts (especially on Dereelight's marketplace thread) talking about only one mode working on the 2SM modules.

Last edited:

Spotpuff

Newly Enlightened
While it's impossible to say which is more reliable from such a small sample, I have a 2SM and it works fine. I've only had the light about a week though.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the instructions warn not to over tighten the battery tube/head as it may crack/damage the module. Maybe that's what's happening in some of the situations, the tube was turned too much (you only should turn it enough to engage high), and the circuit board got cracked, etc.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the over-tightening probably caused the problem on my DBS. One other factor probably causing all the blown modules is that the battery goes in "backwards" of typical with the positive towards the tailcap on the 2SM modules.

I think if someone has multiple lights (most of us), it becomes second nature to insert batteries one way, making user error - and therefore a blown module - much more likely on the 2SM.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Well, I can assure you guys that the batteries were not put in the wrong way. There's even a little warning sticker inside the tube depicting which way the battery should go. It was working fine and then all of a sudden... And it wasn't overtightened. I guess if I go for the 2SD, I have to go buy an 18650 battery...great..that'll cost me another $30 (charger and batteries) and who knows how much to ship back the bad pill...(should've gotten the T1...)

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I can assure you guys that the batteries were not put in the wrong way. There's even a little warning sticker inside the tube depicting which way the battery should go. It was working fine and then all of a sudden... And it wasn't overtightened. I guess if I go for the 2SD, I have to go buy an 18650 battery...great..that'll cost me another $30 (charger and batteries) and who knows how much to ship back the bad pill...(should've gotten the T1...)
Sorry about your luck with that pill. A friend of mine who had problems with his just PM'd Alan, and Alan shipped him out a new pill which worked totally fine and is still working fine. He did not have to ship the malfunctioning pill back. I also have a CL1H with a 2SM, and it is also working fine. However, I ordered and am now using the 3SD pills in both of my Dereelights because of the 1.2a and optimized for 18650. Honestly, I don't think Deree could be more responsive to their customers. Just send Alan a note and he'll take care of you.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Alan has agreed to replace my faulty 2SD as well. Excellent customer service and responsive support is why I will be shopping DL products again in the future.

Zenster

Enlightened
Alan's record of support is one of the reasons why I went with both a DBS and a CL1H, and I'm confident in saying that a lot of the problems people have had with their Derees were self inflicted as others in this thread have mentioned (mostly backward battery installation). Still, Alan keeps "taking care of business" which continues to earn points from my perspective.

To the OP question: I bought both a 2SD module and a 2SM module with my DBS with the intent of using the 2SD most of the time, but having the 2SM on hand for when the house power goes down so I can use CR123's as backup.
I played with both of the modules at first just to, well, play, and they both worked right out of the gate as advertised.
Yes, my 2SD has a whine when in low setting (it's more like a "sizzling" sound, like bacon frying), but it's so quiet that I have to actually hold it against my ear to hear it. So no biggy for me.

But here's why I'm posting: Something I've come to find out on my own is that you should NOT screw the pill snugly into it's socket in the reflector.
Leave it loose at least a half a turn, or out to even a full turn.
Here's why: It's already mentioned somewhere that you can damage the electronics of the pill if the pill or barrel assemble is cranked tight. Just lightly snugging up the bezel to the reflector housing, and the reflector housing to the barrel, is all you need. The O-rings impart enough friction so that it won't come loose.

But there are two other reasons to leave the pill loose up to a turn when you install it into the reflector. You should notice that the pill will have a little "slop" due to the clearance between the threads. You should be able to wiggle the pill just a little because of those loose fitting threads.

Reason #1. The pill is an exact fit into the hole at the bottom of the housing that the reflector screws into. If you snug the pill tight, it will invariably be held off-center just a smidgeon; just enough so that the pill will bind when putting it back together and you'll find that the assembly won't screw together all the way unless you "crank" it tight which is one instance where you could damage the pill. (Note that I didn't force mine, but stopped to investigate why it wouldn't seat easily like I expected it to. So thankfully, I figured this out without having to ruin a pill).
Reason #2. If the pill is turned in almost all the way just short of snug so that the reflector assembly does screw together all the way like it should, you "may" find that the beam is a bit ringier than you like or is less than stellar in some other way.
This comes from the LED being at a less than optimum height with relation to the reflector. However, by leaving the pill loose about a half a turn or so, it changes the height of the LED to a better position.
So if you don't like the beam you get after changing out a pill, try loosening the pill a little to see if it changes things for the better.

Last edited:

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
^^^^^^^^^^
Just to reiterate, the light was not taken apart prior to the low/high mode problem. The batteries were never taken out before the problem and the head was never tightened too much. if there is an inherent problem with the pill being screwed into the reflector, then that's not my fault. The pill was never removed until after the problem. i appreciate your response. I'll be careful to not screw in the pill snuggly when i get the 2SD.

Again, I received the light, put in the batteries, and it worked for a few days before conking out...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The pill should be screwed in snug, without question.

There has to be the plastic cover between the reflector and pill,
or you will get a short,=> resulting in single mode also.
~So make sure you have the little plastic piece between the pill and reflector.

If you want to do more floddy beam, add a thin o-ring between the pill and reflector.

I'v had a number of Derees,
have spent alot of time with customizing the amount of focus/flood.
Nevertheless the pills should be screwed in all the way.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179530

p.s. the new SD pill are very good...:thumbsup: there is a slight flash to show memory on low modes, I don't mind at all.