Dereelight CL1h reflectors - One has a white ring, other doesn't

Spotpuff

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a Dereelight CL1H V3 with both SM and OP reflectors. The OP reflector has a white, washer-type ring on the back of it that is pretty firm (not squishy like foam) but not all that pliable either. The SM reflector does not. Right now I have the OP reflector installed and it works fine, and the LED pill doesn't appear to be sitting differently in it.

Anyone else have one of these white ring type things on the back of their reflector? What is it? Why doesn't the SM reflector have one of these? it has a slight dent in it now (the washer-type thing) where a wire on the pill seems to be digging into it after being screwed in, but the light still works and I don't see any other damage.

I sent an email to Dereelight support but their response was all garbled up.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the reflectors for my CL1H from Dereelight have an insulating washer on the back and a black o-ring. I didn't even notice this at first, but they are there. Mine are clear, so maybe your one reflector has a clear one, and one has something new that's white? Look closely, the clear one should look like there is some kind fo clear glue/tape on the back, but you can pry it off with a fine screw driver.

To use a DBS pill in the CL1H you have to remove the insulating washer and o-ring from the back of the CL1H reflectors. The DBS pill should already have an insulating washer installed.

If you want to put a CL1H pill in the DBS, I just take the insulation washer off a CL1H reflector and put it on the back of the DBS reflector.

Spotpuff

Newly Enlightened
I don't have my SM reflector on me to check since I'm at work, but the OP reflector has the white "insulating ring" (what's it insulating exactly?) but no O-ring on the reflector itself. I assume you mean on the groove around the reflector? There's a slot there for what could be an O ring but there isn't one... I can't figure out why you'd need an O-ring there exactly but yeah... there's a slot in the reflector and the light works fine without it it seems.

I'll check the SM when I get home.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you screw in the CL1H pills the contacts on the board, around the emitter, can make contact with the reflector. If the reflector wasn't insulated this would cause a short, which would be bad, or the pill wouldn't work.