Questions about VHF radios?

a4d

Enlightened
Are Vhf radios capable of being police scanners also? I was looking at stuff on bass pro shops and was wondering if they could also pick up police signals, ems, and fire signals also.

Maybe something like this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_97817_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

Or this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_97815_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

Or even this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_59732_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or even if you find another one on that website that would be nice.

If it's from another shop i'd rather it be cheaper. I have a gift card for bass pro shops thats why.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to say no because emergency services operate on their own channels that require a service issued radio to access the channel, therefore you couldn't send mixed signals or interfere with their signals. I may be wrong, but that answer makes sense to me.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Short answer No.
Long answer.
Looks like all the radios you've linked to are fixed channel radios so you wouldn't be able to dial up the required frequency for police etc., here in Australia a lot of our police and emergency services are using digital radios and you may find the same in your area, if that's the case you would need a digital radio to listen to those services even then it may be coded and you still couldn't listen to them.

a4d

Enlightened
Alright thanks. What Scanner do you reccomend? Portable is a must. I would like to keep it as cheap as i can. I don't know really know all to much about scanners so please try to keep the terms easy. thanks.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Usually only Amateur transceivers, and scanners have the capability to receive police and fire transmissions. There are exceptions, but those would also let you transmit illegally on those channels and I won't mention those here. I'm an amateur radio operator and I am glad to say that I am one. Just a warning to those looking into amateur (ham) radio, ham radio is a more expensive hobby than being a flashaholic. :naughty:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scanners are a hot topic for one of many reasons because people assume they can do many things. They are just radios and much like you wouldn't use your TV to listen to FM radio, scanners only receive certain frequencies. The ones you want to listen to depend on what the agencies (police, fire, ambulance, etc.) use in your area and they do vary.

There are changes that may come into play with scanner monitoring if those agencies switch to any one of several different digital radio systems. The scanner you buy today could quickly become useless so you need to do research on what you want to listen to, whether or not the scanner will work well for that, whether or not the agencies in your area are going to change their equipment, and whether or not your scanner will work with that digital system or could be upgraded. This stuff has been going on for some years and requires a fair amount of homework.

Also, rural areas might mean that you would need a better antenna. VHF/UHF transmissions are "line of sight." Simplified a lot, that means they do not bounce over hills, tall buildings, etc. The signals do not reach as far from the transmitter as say AM radio. Also, if you live in a building with metal framing or a lot of electrical "noise" (florescent tubes, motors, etc.) you will find that those will interfere with your reception.

There are many web sites that deal with monitoring or scanning and doing a search and some homework will save you a lot of money and a lot of hassle.

a4d

Enlightened
Wow didn't realize there was so much involved. I'll do a little more research before i buy one.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also do your homework on the work "trunking", you're gonna see it alot, and need to figure out if you need it or not. Be prepared to spend a $100 very minimum.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
Are Vhf radios capable of being police scanners also? I was looking at stuff on bass pro shops and was wondering if they could also pick up police signals, ems, and fire signals also.

Maybe something like this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_97817_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

Or this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_97815_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

Or even this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_59732_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or even if you find another one on that website that would be nice.

If it's from another shop i'd rather it be cheaper. I have a gift card for bass pro shops thats why.

First things first, if your really interested in monitoring your local police then you need to find out what system they operate on. I use Intercept northwest is a grate page. But be forewarned there is no ligament reason to own a radio that is set up to transmit on police frequencies. I have both the imput and out put programmed for the local LEO frequencies that are not trucked, I just program my input one step up so that I could reprogram my radio to transmit in the field easy enough. If you local system is trunked / digital your out of luck endless you know someone at the local radio shop. You can lissen but that's about it. Secondly you need to figure out what else you want to do with the radio (GMRS, Ham, 2m, 70cm extra). If I were you the cheep scanner for lissing to the police works much better than the $$$ ham radio gear set up to do something it's not really meant to do. Get the scanner and a GMRS/FRS and call it good. Just an FYI if your intent is to "harass" the local LEO, there are lost and lost of ham radio operators out there that volunteer to help track people like that down, check out a APRS.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
a4d, This site is the CPF of the Scanner world, all the information and more that you will need is there as well as frequency databases and software to program and run your scanner from your computer. There are also many links to on-line scanner "feeds". If you are in or near a major city someone is probably already feeding/serving it out over the net. Happy Scanning! :D

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Parma Ohio now for college, right outside of cleveland.

Ahhh pretty close by in world distance terms.

If you haven't already got your self a radio would you want a Radio Shack Pro - 2052? Free of charge if you will get some use out of it. :twothumbs I upgraded my radios a while back and the only thing I use the 2052 for is to sit on the shelf in the corner and hold up some dust. Works fine and is in close to mint condition. You would have to wait a bit till I could find a box and some shipping supply's though.

Its a basic analog model, no digital, no alpha tags, etc. But it would be enough to get your feet wet and see if its something your interested in.
If you want it just pm me a shipping address and i'll start looking for a box and such to send it in.

Here is some info on it shamelessly stolen from http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-2052
You can also download the manual (although I think I have the original one here some where) from radioshack.com.

Features
  • Rebanding supported NO
  • Dual trunking scanner for VHF, UHF, 800, 900, Mot I, II & IIi, EDACS Regular systems
  • 29-54, 108-174, 179-512, 806-956, 1240-1300MHz range
  • 1000 channels in 20 banks of 50 each
  • Military Air (but cannot receive 138-144 mhz band in AM mode without modification)
  • VHF TV (Chs 7-13)
  • 50 cps scan rate
  • 5 scanlist of 10 ID's each per bank
  • Priority IDs
  • ID Delay
  • 10 Priority channels
  • 5 Service search bands
  • Status bits
  • SAME Weather alert
  • No alpha tags
  • Data skip
  • Analog audio only
  • Unlike most every other RS scanner, the 2052 has Uniden firmware, and is fully PC controllable
RR System Compatibility

This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:
  • System Types:
    • Motorola Type I
    • Motorola Type II
    • Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
    • Motorola Type II Smartnet
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
    • EDACS Standard (Wide)
    • EDACS Standard Networked
  • System Voices:
    • Analog

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Old thread...do I continue or start a new one?

OK...so I wanted a marine VHF radio for peace of mind on an upcoming kayaking trip on Lake Huron. I'll be close to shore the whole time, but you never know. Instead of spending $80+ on a decent radio I will probably never use again, I got a cheapo on Amazon for $32! It's a Baofeng UV-82, and I have to say this thing is pretty impressive! I can tune it into the marine channel 16 (156.8mHz) in the rare case of a mayday call. Would anyone even hear me at 5W in the location I'll be? I doubt it. Not waterproof either, so I'll leave it in the drybag.

Anyway, the cool thing is all the other features. FM stations come in nice and clear. And while I don't have a HAM radio license to transmit, I was able to tune into a few local repeaters just to listen. Sounds like a cool hobby!

As of a year ago, my city police, fire, etc. switched to an encrypted system so I can't use it as a scanner. Damn! That would have been cool! I did pick up an ambulance or something by chance. And some kids playing with GMRS radios.

Worth the $32 just to mess around with. Fairly steep learning curve but got it nailed down with all the help online. Very impressed with the quality for this price. I won't mention the tint of the flashlight on the top of this thing :)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get your license. It is easy. If you can hear the repeaters, then chances are high you can hit them. Much better than marine radio. I tell folks, if you can program the radio, you can pass the Tech test!!

PhotoJim

Newly Enlightened
You should get your license. It is easy. If you can hear the repeaters, then chances are high you can hit them. Much better than marine radio. I tell folks, if you can program the radio, you can pass the Tech test!!

Whether it's a Tech test depends on what country you're in :) (that's a USA-ism) but passing the test in most countries is not that bad. (I can personally vouch for Canada.)

markr6

Flashaholic

The strange thing is I can't find any example questions online, or even the slightest amount of what to expect. 25 questions, 100, 150? 30 minutes, 3 hours?

I think one of the repeaters is on top of a new, really tall hospital only about 2mi away. The other day I was listening to some people from all over; Colorado, Michigan even western Australia!! I assume that was some type of web-based link.

Grog

Enlightened
Just one place to take a practice test online (FCC requirements are that all questions and answers are published).

http://aa9pw.com/radio/technician/

I would buy a real marine band radio for use on the water. They are built better, plus they are actually certified for use on the marine band frequencies (Part 80). It's WAY too easy to hit the wrong button on a ham radio and make it inoperable in an emergency.

Part 80 radios are simple and worth the few bucks spent.