Need a Bully Beef recipe!

shakeylegs

Enlightened
A good friend spend some time in the Bahamas, and one of his fondest memories is of corned beef hash, bahamian style - I think he called it Bully Beef. Seems the corned beef is turbo charged with thyme and scotch bonnet peppers - then served with grits and eggs. Does anyone have an authentic recipe for the hash that they can share? He found a Dog's & Suds chili sauce recipe for me (love them chili dogs) and I'd like to surprise him with some Bully Beef memories!
Thanks
shakey

Edit: This is what I've found so far.
Corned beef sauté (serves four)
From Many Tastes Of The Bahamas & Culinary Influences of the Caribbean

1 can (12 oz) corned beef
1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp chopped onion
1⁄2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 tsp tomato paste
Hot pepper to taste
A few tbsp of water

Place the corned beef into a medium-sized bowl and break up with a fork in preparation for cooking. Sprinkle with lime juice.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the corned beef with the onion and thyme for five to six mins. Stir in the tomato paste and crushed hot peppers to taste.

Add one to three tbsp of water for desired consistency and continue to cook, stirring.

Cover, reduce heat and cook for about 10 min.

Serve with grits or toast.
----------------------------------------------------------
Bahamian Firehouse Breakfast a.k.a Bully Beef (Jamaican)

1 can corned beef
1 medium onion, chopped or sliced
1/4 minced garlic from a jar or a small section from a fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/2 can tomatoes with chilies, depend upon the brand you may need to use it all, taste and see
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, if needed, the corned beef might contain enough fat.

Heat corned beef in a heavy non-stick frying pan, moderate heat.
Push beef to one side, tilt skillet to judge the amount of grease from the beef,
add vegetable oil if not enough.
Add thyme, onions, garlic and sauté until last two items are limp
Mash tomatoes & chilies with your hands then add and stir together
Turn down heat to low and watch so that it does not burn.

Bully Beef is usually served for breakfast with grits, toast and a fried egg.
Some like the egg cooked on top of the Bully Beef, if you do this, just scoop out
a place for each egg, add and cook with the lid on to hasten the cooking.

Last edited:

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Soy I can't help you with a Bully Beef recipe, but would you please share the chile sauce recipe?

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Thanks DUQ,
Yes, I've found the fire engine versions and they are close, though none of those has the lime juice.

Hoghead, there are several versions floating around. The closest I've found was on CDKitchen.
Here is the mother sauce recipe which you can vary as needed. It also makes a great sloppy joe base, to which you can add more tomato, bell pepper, etc.

Dog 'N Suds Coney Sauce Recipe
recipe is ready in 1-2 hrs Ready in: 1-2 hrs
recipe difficulty 3/5 Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)
Serves/Makes: 6

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
ketchup, as needed

Directions:

In a salted skillet, brown ground beef with onion over medium heat, breaking up meat with a fork to crumble it fine. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients, except catsup. Mix well, then add enough catsup to keep mixture loose. Simmer, partially covered, 1 hour, adding catsup as needed.

My first batch followed this Dog's & Suds recipe. I thought it was quite sweet so I added another tablespoon and a half of vinegar plus another 1/8 to ¼ tsp Tabasco. Then about a tablespoon of tomato paste and another ¼ tsp of celery seed. After browning the meat and adding the condiments, I let it simmer 2 hours.

Great on natural casing dogs. Here in the SF Bay Area, Vienna Beef and Sabrett's are unvailable generally.

good local substitutes to look for include Miller's natural casing (safeway) Casper's natural casing (safeway) and Schwartz's natural casing.

Wonder foot long buns are my bread of choice when I can get them.

Paladin

Enlightened
FWIW habanero peppers are either the same as, or closely related to scotch bonnet peppers. Use with extreme caution, flames will shoot out your ears!:devil:

One summer I grew about 10 varieties of peppers, including the Red Savina strain of habaneros. Even my die hard pepper loving fatherinlaw cried uncle, but he still spread a thick layer of my homemade pepper jelly on his breakfast toast. I'd be interested in an authentic recipe for bully beef too, it sounds interesting.

Paladin

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Paladin,
I occasionally pickle scotch bonnets and enjoy presenting the challenge to my pepperhead friends. WaWaWeWah!

I've shown the recipes I've gathered to my "Bahamian" friend and he thinks the first version is very close. The one he remembers has no potatoes, sports the citrus zing, has a somewhat greasy texture as if finished of with a dab of butter or margarine. Now I have to find some true grits somewhere here in Northern California. BULLY!