Horror Movies

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My wife and I love horror movies. This time of year really lends itself to staying in, cuddling up on the couch with popcorn and watching what we call "scary movies". Over the holidays, we watched a couple good ones.

- Rob Zomby's Halloween.
- The Skeleton Key.

So, do you folks like horror flicks? If so, recommend some good ones.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
You might peak at this link for one take on the 100 best horror films and more.
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/top-100-horror-movies.html

Personally, I like cheesy 50's sci fi and horror. "Them", "The beast from 20,000 fathoms", "It camd from beneath the sea", "I Bury the Living" (1958), "House of Wax" (1953), "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956), "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" offer some of the best and worst.

Zappa pretty much sums up the pleasure in this tune http://www.archive.org/details/FrankZappa-Cheapnis
And this trailer reel does the same http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bsQvnaWLJE&feature=related

a4d

Enlightened
I've always liked the movie Dog Soldiers.

Can't forget Devils Rejects (sequel to House Of A 1000 Corpses.)

If you want a REALLLY long Thriller movies check out Stephen King's Rose Red.

There is a lot more can't hink of them right now i'll get back.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huge Horror/Sci Fi fans here. I really love the 50's Sci Fi, The Thing from another World, Them......(make me a Sergeant in charge of the booze):p

Dances with Flashlight, I got the Tremors Attack pack, Tremors 3 is funny. Watch out for the @$$ Blasters...:whistle:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
most recently was The Descent

all the really good horror movies are japanese. theres a reason why the US is remaking so many of them!

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
There have been some horror movies on IFC over the last year or so that seem to redefine the limits. Kind of like "horror films for adults", where it goes to another level of realism or suspense.

There was one I watched many years back - Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) - that left me sick to my stomach afterwards.

Other than that I'm more of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan.

da.gee

Enlightened
I grew up on "Creature Features" as a kid, 40's stuff (The Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, Frankenstein and others, the 50's with some of the Ray Harryhausen special effects and the UFO/alien craze. Then moved into the 60's/70's Vincent Price, Hammer Film era (Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee), then there was the beginning of the slash era with Halloween (that one really freaked me as a college kid cleaning one of the school bakeries at night), Nightmare on Elm Street stuff etc. Most horror flicks these days rely a lot on special effects and outright gore but I'll still watch almost anything just to see how cheesy, bloody or over the top it is.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Old Boy.

That's the title of the movie. You want scary $#^%? Rent you a copy of "Old Boy".

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asian side film, especially from Japan, Thailand, and Korea, and so on, are just down right scary, aboslute no-no for watchin at night unless you reallly want to freak yourself out...even if you have an M6 handy...

they have this gritty feel to them...
:faint:

Crenshaw

Burgess

Flashaholic
Over the past couple months, i've watched the Universal Studios Frankenstein movies:

Frankenstein

Bride of Frankenstein

Son of Frankenstein

House of Frankenstein

Ghost of Frankenstein

Frankenstein meets the Wolfman

-- and even --

Frankenstein meets Abbott and Costello

These vintage films certainly have a "charm" of their own. :candle:

Enjoyed seeing various actors playing recuring roles in the series.

BTW, my mother (now age 83) actually saw Boris Karloff perform in
a stageplay of Arsenic and Old Lace in Minneapolis,
when she graduated from High School.

No, these Classics aren't really scary.

(at least, now that i'm grown-up) :)

But i certainly enjoyed watching 'em all over again.

:thumbsup:
_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bride of Frankenstein

When I was younger, I saw a murder mystery comedy on TV. I think it was called "Murder by Death," or something like that. Featured an interesting array of Hollywood stars. The old woman's caretaker in the film didn't seem like a well-known star. Years later, I saw Bride of Frankenstein.... And there she was, the caretaker, as the Bride. Younger, slimmer, but definitely the same person. :)

shakeylegs

Enlightened
When I was younger, I saw a murder mystery comedy on TV. I think it was called "Murder by Death," or something like that. Featured an interesting array of Hollywood stars. The old woman's caretaker in the film didn't seem like a well-known star. Years later, I saw Bride of Frankenstein.... And there she was, the caretaker, as the Bride. Younger, slimmer, but definitely the same person. :)

That was Elsa Lanchester

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huge Horror/Sci Fi fans here. I really love the 50's Sci Fi, The Thing from another World, Them......(make me a Sergeant in charge of the booze):p

Ditto. That combination of Horror & Sci Fi in the 50's was very entertaining. Seems there were a great many problems from beyond solved by the teamwork of (i) a general or local LEO, and (ii) a scientist or professor. Many of these movies featured one or more young people about to be captured/eaten/dissolved/etc but always rescued in the nick of time. Remember Earth v. the Spider?

djblank87

Enlightened
I love, love scary movies.......:twothumbs

Current favorite horror movie:

Rob Zombies "Halloween"........:devil:

Rob's take on Michael's childhood was excellent.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You. :)

I'm far better with faces than names.

Ditto. For the life of me I can't remember names worth ****, I have to ask the guy (or even worse, a girl I like) their name like 5 times.

I love the later scifi horror movies, like Alien, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, etc. I am a fellow Misty (Mystery Science Theater 3000=MST3K) as well,:wave: and I CAN'T STAND THE JAPANESE HORROR MOVIES!:faint: Growing up in Japan, seeing the events unfold in those environments scare the living **** out of me!:shakehead

I know I'm drifting a bit off subject, but in Japan they always show bizarre photographs/camcorder footage of ghosts/anomalies on tv programs, AAGH I can't stand those!:poke:

Dudemar