Blaster II flicker

lessing

Newly Enlightened
I have a Blaster II andx outside inspecting the foundation and my friend pointed out it was flickering. I do not know if it has been all along, you have to look for it. Anyway I remember others talking about this, Is there a way for me to fix it myself?

snuffy

Enlightened
Have you put a little lube on the tailcap o-ring?
Also make sure the ground screw on the emitter board is making good contact with the solder pad. I had to add a bit more solder to the pad on mine. If you don't want to break out the soldering iron, try a thin washer just slightly larger in diamenter than the head of the ground screw.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just wondering if you had a chance to talk to Wayne first, before posting here. Not my business, don't know if it's a common thing, but figured it might be nice to give the modder a chance to resolve it first, especially if it's just an isolated problem...

lessing

Newly Enlightened
I am sure that ElektroLumens would be all over this. I think I was too vague in my original post. I love this light, and could not stand to be without it to send it back. I would rather keep it with its very slight flicker than have to wait for it to be sent back. I use it constantly. It just so happened, that in a no light situation, in between two row houses in the middle of the night, the flicker is a bit apparent. It by no means makes the light annoying or unusefull, its more like once you know its there, you know. I fault no one for this, it may even be my fault and would not want someone else to go out of thier way for it. I have an electronics shop available to me, I was just looking for ideas of what was wrong before I try and clean it up myself. This is by far the greatest led light that I own.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had exactly the same problem with my Blaster II, managed to fix it simply by tightening the screw that makes contact with the emitter board.

fc7db531.jpg

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Thank you x-ray. Tightened up the two screws and that was that. See, I knew it was not a big deal. I would have been really p***ed at my self if I sent it back for two screws to be tightened. Like I said I think this just started, and I use the thing so much, I have already beat the crap out of it.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just now happened upon this thread.

Flickering has been a problem in several of the Blaster II. The main reason was the contact between the srew and the negative solder contact. Tightening down the screw often solves the problem. I found a few that it took more than merely tightening down the screw. I had to add a tiny brass washer to the screw. The brass washer make the ground circuit more reliable.

I tested a couple of the next production run that had the same problem (still). So I have placed the brass washer on all subesquent Blasters, even if they didn't have the problem. All of the Blaster series flashlights will have this washer added, from the factory, from now on.

Just one of those things you never know about, until the product gets out in the field for testing.

Another problem the first production run had was in the tailcap to body ground connection. The end of the flashlight was left unanodized, and made contact to the cap. So, unless the tailcap was tighted securely, the light didn't get ground and didn't work, or would flicker. In this next production run, the threads were cut after the anodizing process, so they are bare aluminum, and make excellent electrical ground, even if the cap is very loose.

Wayne j