IF you own both a P1D and L1D - need your help

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Happy New Year Everyone!

I recently purchased a P1D Q5. It's a great flashlight overall, but the only concern I have is all the dangers I am hearing about primary and rechargeable lithiums. My preference now is to go with AA Nimh and I tried that with the P1D head and seems to work - except it runs at about 1.4A on high (not turbo) mode. I emailed Fenix directly and they said that the L1D body is compatible with the P1D head.

So before I order a L1D body, have any of you tried using a P1D head with the L1D body and clicky? Are the modes still there? Does the head get warm when on high mode? What's the new length (mm) of the flashlight?

Thanks.

Dennis

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i think you're talking about a p2d head, the p1d is a twisty and the head is male.

dont be concerned with lithium primaries, i have abused the snot out of them (drops, temperature extremes, running them down as far as possible) and have never had any issue. the cr123 battery is way to good for you to be worried. i only use surefire batteries tho, and ive always stayed away from the cheap chinese lithiums.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...only concern I have is all the dangers I am hearing about primary and rechargeable lithiums...
These cells are all around you -- in your laptop computer, wristwatch, camera, cell phone, PDA, iPod, etc.

If you use quality lithium cells and (if rechargeable) use only protected, good-quality cells and the appropriate charger, the chances of a problem are very low.

In any event, you're only eliminating one source -- if you avoid lithium cells in your flashlight, they are still in devices all around you.

That said, high-capacity NiMH AA cells combined with newer high-efficiency LEDs are competitive with RCR123A rechargeable cells in many situations.

Alkaline AA cells have difficulty providing the current for a high-power flashlight, without taking a significant capacity penalty. They are just not designed to source very high current. Lithium AA cells can, but then you're back to lithium again.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
mossyoak, yes, I was reffering to the P1D, not P2D. I checked the pictures and you are indeed correct about the P1D head - it won't fit into the L1D body. Hmm, but the email from the fenix manufacturer said they were compatible! They must be mistaken!! Thanks for pointing that out.

joema, I have to agree that we have lithium cells everywhere - I guess I have to look for good quality protected Li-ions. I guess the issue for me is that I already have reliable Nimh AA cells and charger, and the fact that you mentioned that the single AA's lights have improved so much. The form factor of the new L1D Q5 isn't too much bigger than the P1D - maybe I should go that route. I like the P1D as an EDC, the very reason why I picked the P1D in the first place.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please read.
Exploding 123A Batteries?
http://flashlightreviews.com/features/123burst.htm

As the P1D/P2D are both 1 cell lights and the problems of mismatched cells do not arise.
Rechargeables are 3.6 to 4.2 volts and do not work with the P1D/P2D (max 3.2 volts) so do not use them.
LiFePO4 (Tenergy) cells are rated 550mA. The P1D/P2D turbo pulls more than that on turbo so do not use them.
Some extra cheap cells do not have the safety features of name brand cells. buyer beware If you stick with name brand primary CR123As you should be all right.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
First, I apologize if this thread is starting to sound more like a battery thread rather than a Led Flashlight thread. I initially started the thread specifically regarding the flashlights, got my answer really quickly, but now it seems to be focus more on the batteries. Admin, please move me if needed.

LedNinja, thanks for your reply. I came across another thread here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169038 where a single cell P1D exploded using primaries. Granted, it may have been cheap primaries, but my concern is that single cell lights do explode too. How can we be really sure that the primaries we are using (be it a cheapo or a defective name brand cell) don't end up exploding? I know the chances are rare - but still a little concern for me.

Dennis

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
All batteries explode if abused enough alkalines and NiMH included. Lithiums are more sensitive than the others.

With lithiums do not overcharge (voltage & amps). Do not try to charge primaries.
Do not overdischarge (voltage & amps). Rule of thumb is never let a lithium run below 2.2A. The member in your link did not change batteries when the light started to dim. Instead he kept the light running. When the battery dropped below 2.2V it became damaged but there is still enough energy to blow. Make sure you change the battery when the light starts to dim! Do not try to get every last joule out of a lithium battery.

There is another recent thread where an 'online store brand' AA lithium blew. That particular brand had been measured at 2.0V compared to 1.8V of an Energizer e2 L91. I suspect it is missing the 'temperature switch' protection of the Energizer who owns the patent. So stay with known Brand Names such as Energizer to make sure all safety features are present.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Whether it helps in this thread or not is up to the readers.

Today I was bored out of my skull at work and played with my flashlights.

A SAIK RC-A3 DX SKU 5346 1AA Cree on a Hybrid AA WHACKED my Fenix P1 3W Luxeon on a 3V Battery Station CR123A!!!

Free Lumens have it all over $1.75 lumens!!!

Latest posts