Can a discharged battery serve well as a spacer?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the case where you install an emitter that can't handle the full battery load, can you use one discharged battery as a spacer? Or does this introduce possible leakage issues? Are there full battery sized spacers available in the market or do you have to fashion your own?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert but one should be along shortly. In the mean time you should not use a dead battery as a spacer, this is especially so with Lithiums.

The risk is of reverse charge, which, with lithiums could cause thermal runaway and a nasty fire or explosion (rapid disassembly as the battery makers call it).

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
The internal resistance of a dead cell is high. (Big resistor)

Dead cells are prone to leaking. (Bye, bye flashlight :wave: )

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The internal resistance of a dead cell is high. (Big resistor)

Dead cells are prone to leaking. (Bye, bye flashlight :wave: )
That's what my suspicion was, but I thought I'd check anyway.

So, if I want to operate a 3 cell flashlight with just 2 cells (there is regulation circuitry so I'll get a usable beam), is there some kind of market available spacer I can use? Do they exist for cells like C, D, CR123, etc.? Has anyone here created their own and have a posting about it? I haven't been able to find anything yet...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Leaking is not hte problem here.
Explosion is.
Serious explosion.

DO NOT DO THIS !!!!! :caution:

bernie

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
As everyone said, using an old cell as a spacer is not recommended to say the least.

Making spacers is pretty easy if you're creative.
Take a screw of the right length, roll some paper around it til you meet the correct diameter and duct tape it together...

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this AAA to AA converter tube from Kai Domain looks like it would do the trick:
633234330993125000.jpg

Just make a copper core within it and it should be OK. And then you can stuff it inside a larger diameter tube to work for something larger, like C and D cell.

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a dummy D cell once by sticking two coins to either end of a film container and connecting them via a thick wire. (The wire runs through the canister.) The coins didn't stay stuck but, the dummy still works. :D