reactor 3 VS lightwave 2100

External

Newly Enlightened
How is the reactor 3 VS the lightwave 2100 as a utility light for home and general use (such as taking out the dog...)
they cost about the same but it seems that the reactor is more intense light.

P.S
How about an newbeam and a maglight instead? (if i buy the newbeam and a new mag it would cost about the same).

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Let me preface this w/---I don't own the 2100 or the Opalec. Just my understanding from what I've read here.---
I have the R3 and I like it except it is a bit awkward. It is bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif . However you may not need something that bright. If you are in an area without much ambient light I think both the lights you mentioned would work. I think the Opalec/Mag would be better as it is smaller and regulated so you would suck those batteries down with out the fading you'll see with the 2100.
If you need the brighter light the R3 might be the least expensive bright Luxeon, but look into the BadBoy/MadMax or Lambda Illuminator for a regulated Luxeon.
If you don't need real bright the Princeton Tec Attitude might be a better bet than the LW2100 but out of the 3 if money were not a factor I'd get the opalec/mag.
Hope that helps.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i dont own a R3, or 2100, but i do have a newbeam.

i have measured the outputs of the newbeam and attitude. the attitude is brighter, but not by a huge amount. and in my tests, it took 5 hours for the attitude to drift down to newbeam brightness.

however, the newbeam is one sweet light! the long runtimes are very reassuring.

the lights should be classified from brightest to dimmest: R3, 2100 and newbeam.

i admittedly dont have the actual lux figures for the R3, but it should be 200+ lux. i believe the 2100 should be around 65 lux, and the opalec is 35-41 lux.

all are very nice lights. you will need to decide how much light is needed, and which would have the best form factor for your needs.

just an fyi: the opalec is just fine for very dark areas, such as inside a dark house/garage, etc. it puts out plenty of light. but, if you need throw, or if there is some ambient light that you will be competing with, you may choose a brighter light.

good luck,
Bob

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a LW 2100 for my father last Christmas. It's about as bright as an Eternalight, but the Lightwave's LEDs are very white with no hint of blue. If you want high brightness, the Reactor 3 (or any Luxeon light) will beat the LW 2100 hands down. However, the Lightwave is a good light if you need durability, white light, and a long runtime.

External

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have the runtime graph of the reactor III?

i would like to know how long can he really give strong light.

does anyone have shots of opalec newbeam in action?

thanks,

samuel