Toyota takes #2 spot

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not long, I suspect.

Mrs. Powernoodle and I each drive Fords. We are in the market for new (slightly used) vehicles, and each of us are likely to get a Toyota.

I live in a "Ford town" with 2 Ford plants, but my Explorer has not been an A+ vehicle. JMO. Toyota, Honda, etc. seem to be the quality leaders, and that is drawing some of the customer base (including the Powernoodles) away from the Big Three.

1060.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
They know how to do something the Big 3 haven't learned how to do yet, for whatever reason. Until the big 3 learn how to or find a way to sabotage Toyota (and Honda and whomever...) with legislation, their climb to the top seems inevitable.

I haven't heard that their workers are all that unhappy or living in sub-standard conditions either, so it can't be "that".

Among acquaintances of mine, 200K problem free miles seems to be a typical life for mid-90's and earlier Toyotas. Stick shift toyota pickups of that era seem to be able to go on more or less forever. I do wish that all the big 3 could build cars of Toyota quality - what a nice world that would be.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very wise words sir! My wish is also that GM (or ford) can match what others have done. Yes, they are better than they were.. and yes... they are "good" but... The consumer has spoken!!!

I do wish that all the big 3 could build cars of Toyota quality - what a nice world that would be.

h_nu

Enlightened
It's not just the quality issue for me. When I last looked at cars I couldn't get an American made car with acceptable in town gas mileage. The salesman at the Ford dealer actually told me I didn't need more than 20 mpg unless I was an enviro-nut. I told him it wasn't his business to decide for me what I need and I left.

ledlurker

Enlightened
My brother is 6'3" and his daily commuter is a Ford Focus that can get up to 35 mpg and that is with the performance package. I am one inch taller and 25 lbs heavier and I could comfortable drive it also.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've felt the Toyota philosophy has been a leading motivator in producing the level of vehicle consistently for decades. Their corporate HQ also has management seminars for outside companies who desire to follow what I'll call the Toyota way. (I read this in a short blurb some months back.) They all push each other, GM and Ford product also has improved though this competition.

That said, since I started driving, I've bought Toyota so unless they really muck it up, I will again buy another when the time comes. :)

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My V8 Toyota Truck is hitting 110k miles...absolutely reliable

minus 02 sensor, and a cylinder one coilpack. $200

Im driving this thing till the motor falls out, or my daily commute is more than 30 miles round trip a day...

Then I will buy a 4Runner V8 to replace it

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What angers me is that the domestic brands here in America are 100% capable of making cars that can actually compete with Toyota and Honda. In terms of everything from quality to performance.... Funny thing is, they choose not to put their best efforts forward. The Big 3 willingly gave up the passenger car segment to Japan. Choosing instead to concentrate on trucks. Which to me makes no sense since if you're going for volume of sales, the 4-door sedan segment is huge!

Despite owning a Ford for nearly 6 years, my next car is likely to be a Honda Accord. Every time I drive my Ford, I consistently see only 2 car models on the road that are over a decade old.... I'm talking about older versions of the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry models. Those two models are clearly built to last.

I don't lease. When you're done, you've got nothing to show for all of those monthly payments. A lease is just a contract for a brand new rental car that you keep for a couple of years, instead of days or weeks. I prefer to buy something that'll last for at least 6 years, won't spend too much time at a mechanic's garage, and won't eat up more of my $$$ for upkeep.

Until the Big 3 decide to put some actual effort into the 4-door sedan segment, I'll take my hard-earned $$$ elsewhere.... Also, if a Toyota Camry is made in an American plant, but a Chevy Impala is made in a Canadian plant; which one is the real American car?

Daekar

Enlightened
It's not just the quality issue for me. When I last looked at cars I couldn't get an American made car with acceptable in town gas mileage. The salesman at the Ford dealer actually told me I didn't need more than 20 mpg unless I was an enviro-nut. I told him it wasn't his business to decide for me what I need and I left.

WOW. Did they really tell you that? Good Lord, give me strength... not to smack every single Big3 executive upside the head. I'm not sure what I would've done if somebody told me that, but it might not've been as smooth as what you said. :whistle:

I've got a 1999 Subaru Outback right now and I love it, the AWD has never let me down and aside from an occasional engine hesitation right after a cold-start, I've never had any problems with it - just had the 100k mile service done, too. I'm thinking of switching to diesel though - sometime next year I might be able to get a 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon with around 35k miles on it for a song... 45mpg is looking awfully good from where I sit, considering gas prices these days...

Numbers

Enlightened
I agree with your post entirely except that for the Toyota made in America the profit goes back to Japan, It's a Japanese car.

h_nu

Enlightened
ledlurker, the last brand new car I bought was a 98 Corolla. I don't think they made the Focus back then. Maybe Ford is seeing the light.

Daekar, yes the salesman was rather insulting. Seems all the local dealers tried to sell bigger cars than what I wanted. One apparently ran a credit check and then kept trying to convince me I needed a BMW which they also sold.

I've driven cars that get over 30mpg in my real world since the mid 70s and used CFL lamps since the early 80's.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom bought a '01 Camry, zero problems whatsoever. She took her car to Midas to get her brakes fixed and they messed them up; but that's about it. My brother drives a '98 Corolla, and other than the regular maintenance intervals the car runs great.

I agree with your post entirely except that for the Toyota made in America the profit goes back to Japan, It's a Japanese car.

It's hard for me to see the logic in this. Toyota cars are made in the U.S. of A. The "American" car is made in Canada.:crazy::poke: It's funny, because Japan used to import "throw away cars" to the US. Now it looks like the manufacturing process is the other way around (and they still don't last as long). Monocrom is right, we are fully capable of making cars exceeding Japanese or European quality; but for bureaucratic/corporate reasons we don't.

Still doesn't change the fact we make pieces of ****.:crackup: I've read enough Dodge Intrepid nightmare stories to come to this conclusion, gives me a headache just thinking about it.

I still don't understand how you have to remove the front right tire to change the battery in a Dodge Intrepid (Yes, you read that right). I guess they spilled coffee on the computer they used to design the car.:huh2:

Dudemar

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owned a Toyota 4 cyl SR5 truck for 14 years. Loved it. Sold it after I bought a Dodge Dakota which is now 10 years old. Still pretty. Can barely hear the V6 at idle. If I get a new truck I would like a Toyota PU but the body design just doesn't grab me. The 4 Runners are cool though. I've wanted an old '87 Supra convertible ever sense I saw one in a local shop. The rumored '08 Supra would be sweet.

And yet I still really like this truck more than most:

snip...sweet, minty, low mileage '69:

truck3.jpg

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The salesman at the Ford dealer actually told me I didn't need more than 20 mpg unless I was an enviro-nut.

I'm thinking he doesn't know anybody who's serving in the gulf.

Monocrom said:
Until the Big 3 decide to put some actual effort into the 4-door sedan segment, I'll take my hard-earned $$$ elsewhere....

I keep thinking all their money is going into advertising and none into engineering. Last time I went to look at an american car at a dealership the big sales point was that it had a phone. 8-(

dudemar said:
I still don't understand how you have to remove the front right tire to change the battery in a Dodge Intrepid

Used to know a guy had a cadillac that you had to take off the fender to change the last spark plug.

Numbers said:
for the Toyota made in America the profit goes back to Japan, It's a Japanese car

So I get to chose between sending my money to Japan, or sending it to Iraq?

-walle-

Newly Enlightened
The only american automaker who i believe has a chance at the moment is ford, their focus and mondeo lines are extremely popular here in DK what sets them apart (at least in those cars) from other american automakers, and makes them sellable in europe is interior quality, which is excelent and they make good use of the space in the car, it's hard to describe, but it's like they just do more with less.

Oh, and speaking of toyota reliability check this clip out.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk&feature=related
Part 2a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM&feature=related
Part 2b http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk&feature=related

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The made in America and made in Japan etc etc is an illusion anyway. It's not one I particularly like but as part of the "Global" economy different parts for different cars are made in alot of different places. If you look on car repair forums all the brands have different issues. Politics is also involved as well, unfortunately. What can you do about it? Very little. Most of the manufacturing base has been removed from the US for many years now and I think we all know why too. I don't think it matters anymore, and that's too bad.