New guy, need advice...

Xak

Enlightened
I've become addicted to LED lights. Got an Inova T3, Premierlight PL-7, an "Ever..."something or other LED upgrade for my 6D Maglight, and a couple el-cheapo AA LED lights for around the house first thing you can grab cuz the power went out-type lights. (breathe)

Anyhow. I'm looking for a new light similar in size as my Inova T3, with a convenient belt holster/clip that has a huge, wide, smooth flood. The T3 is a great light, but the beam is too narrow for what I need. I'm thinking something with those 5mm clustered LEDs might fit the bill better.

I'm a paramedic and I'm looking for a light to fill what ever area of a room I point it at so I can look for things like medicine bottles, weapons, threats to my or my patient(s) safety, be able to estimate blood loss, and illuminate the entire patient when working a cardiac arrest when there is no other light source available.

When using the T3 it's like I can illuminate only one thing at a time at close distance. I shine, or have someone else hold the light, and shine it on the arm where I'm starting an IV line and the guy providing respirations for the patient loses light and vise versa. I want to be able to walk up to a car wreck (at night) and identify how many occupants are in each vehicle, estimate the type of damage to each vehicle without having to keep moving my flashlight from side to side to create a mental "scan" of what I just saw.

Sure I'm blowing it out of proportion a bit, we always get the job done, crappy light or not, but having a different light would make things a bit easier. How often is someone who is really sick happen to have no power, or for one reason or an other no light ONLY in the room they are in? You would be surprised. It's like Murphy's Law. BTW, the fat patients that need to be carried out are always on the top floor w/o an elevator as well.

I also need ease of carry. I have a holster for my Inova, but have never used it because it is bulky and during down time I can't rest with it on my hip. I don't feel like taking the holster off my belt everytime I get a chance to rest.

The only thing I have found so far that may potentially fit the bill is the Pentagon S2 19 LED with the Swivel Belt-Clip Tail-Cap Set. http://www.pentagonlight.com/PX2_Carrying.gif

But I can't find any reviews of this light. Also, with the new CREE LEDs coming out I am leary about investing in a new light that I may find just "OK" and then 2 months later a similar light comes out with up graded 5mm LEDs that last 2X as long and are 2X as bright.

What should I do?

...and yes, I want an LED. Addicted is the key word. ; )~

-Thanx in advance (TIA)

-Xak

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Which version of the T3 do you have(2007 or before)?

The newer Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U-bin, and Luxeon Rebel 100
LEDs are all at least twice as efficient as most Luxeon I, III, V and K2 LEDs. So for the same power, the newer LEDs will have twice the output.

That means if you swap the Luxeon LED in your EverLED drop-in for a Seoul P4 U-bin, you will get double the output.

How about a headlamp? The Zebralight is all flood and no hotspot but I'm not sure if it will have enough output. For any flashlight, if you remove the reflector, you remove the hotspot. So maybe a cheaper high power LED flashlight with a newer LED and the reflector removed.

Also, how about a replacement for the T3?(Would multimode be too much of a hassle?)

:welcome:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a really great light. THe huntlight Ft-02X.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2418
It can use a 123, or with the extension tube- (2) AA batteries. The reflector gives a bright, wide, very smooth and powerful beam. I use hybrid rechargeable AA's- and it's such a great light with this set up. Easy to hold- because of the thin AA tube, and a great beam because of the larger head and reflector. I had to mod mine with the Seoul SSC, but now they come with this great LED! YOu can use the 123 or 123 rechargeables too.
THe seoul SSC led provides a much wider and smother spot than a cree LED does....

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Great price on that one. I kinda had my heart set on something made in USA that has clustered LEDs (they seem to have wider, smoother flood than single LEDs). Though I don't have many to compare, certainly can't go wrong for $30.

I don't like buying Chinese goods, but I must admit, I may consider getting one of those Fenix lights to replace my T3 unless someone hears of an American flashlight manufacturer that is willing to embrace the new technology soon.

The other person who replied to my post inquired what model T3 I have, it is an older one with the silver bezel, but a newer model reflector I believe. It's ok for things like reading house numbers while driving down the street, but the tight beam is unnecessary for indoor use.

Here is a really great light. THe huntlight Ft-02X.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2418
It can use a 123, or with the extension tube- (2) AA batteries. The reflector gives a bright, wide, very smooth and powerful beam. I use hybrid rechargeable AA's- and it's such a great light with this set up. Easy to hold- because of the thin AA tube, and a great beam because of the larger head and reflector. I had to mod mine with the Seoul SSC, but now they come with this great LED! YOu can use the 123 or 123 rechargeables too.
THe seoul SSC led provides a much wider and smother spot than a cree LED does....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix lights are actually pretty durable(Along with quite a few other good companies).

There are some American companies that use the newer LEDs but they either don't power them to a high output(But keeping the better runtime) or cost above $100 for most.

A light with a small reflector or a very textured reflector might be what you are looking for. A diffuser will also work.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds to me like you need a wall of light. To light a whole room or a whole patient at close quarters takes a lot of spill. My Surefire E2e amazes me in the fact the light seems to come out of it at right angles creating the most spill I've ever seen. Now having said that I don't own a Surefire L4 but from what I've read if you want LED and need to light a large area up close the L4 may be just your ticket. In the situations you describe it is the light I would pick based on reviews.

Good luck.
Bill

Xak

Enlightened
Sounds to me like you need a wall of light. To light a whole room or a whole patient at close quarters takes a lot of spill. My Surefire E2e amazes me in the fact the light seems to come out of it at right angles creating the most spill I've ever seen. Now having said that I don't own a Surefire L4 but from what I've read if you want LED and need to light a large area up close the L4 may be just your ticket. In the situations you describe it is the light I would pick based on reviews.

Good luck.
Bill

Looks like it has a nice wide spot to it, it sure is small compared to other 2x123 lights. A bit pricey, though.

I wish someone could compare it to a Pentagon S2 for me. I have a feeling the Pentagon will have a similar or even larger flood, but I am worried it may not be bright enough. I really like the Pentagon belt clip setup and the 19 LEDs are sure to make a nice even flood.

Thanx for the response!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe someone who owns both can help you. I don't know anything about Pentagon S2 and cannot comment on it compared to the SF L4.

Your right it is a bit pricey but for your application(s) I would consider the L4 a good value IMO.

Good Luck

Bill