My first L4 - Lens Rattle?

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I just got a used but pristine L4. I really like this light.

I noticed right away that the lens "rattles". I can place a finger on the lens and actually move it around in the bezel. Is this normal for the L4?

Not a big thing, but none of my other SF lights do this. Just wondering....

Thanks for any info.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I sent an email off to Surefire.

I'm sort of afraid to send them the head for RMA. The tint is great and no doughnut - a really nice beam. Hate to get back a light with a sickly green tint or something....

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine also has a rattle (not the glass, guessing small blob of sorts) but I keep it becasue it is very bright and about as donut free as I've seen.

I'd say keep it if you do not need it for life or death.

Thanks guys. I sent an email off to Surefire.

I'm sort of afraid to send them the head for RMA. The tint is great and no doughnut - a really nice beam. Hate to get back a light with a sickly green tint or something....

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
I DON'T ADVISE DOING THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

If it were me...I'd open it and tighten it. It might not have been tightened all the way when assembled.

But that's me. DON'T DO IT.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The bezel ring may just be loose, tighten it. Other wise give surefire a call and tell them to fix the problem on the KL4 that you have and not to replace it with another. I had a similar problem with a KL7, but it haed a donut hole so I sent it to surefire and got a great one back. Does any one know what Luxeon V bin surefire normally uses for the L series lights?

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
The more I consider it, I think I will just keep it the way it is. The tint and beam are so good on this one.

I am going to ask Milkyspit if he can fix it when I send some other lights for modding. This is something I don't feel prepared to fix myself.

Is the beam on the L5 and L6 as nice and floody as the L4? May have to look for one of those too!

Thanks again for all the replies.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L5 and L6 will not be as floody because of their deep reflectors. The larger heads will also give better heat sinking.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Any of you guys try tightening the front bezel of the KL4 head? Use one of those rubber type waffle thingy kitchen lid removal devices.

Bill