Another grip discussion!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Doesn't it always happen? When you find something that works, or that you like... the discontinue or change it!

Would all you who read this when you go to Walmart look for "Sport Tape". The 3 stores I have been in in the last few days
don't have it anymore.

I got some Wilson Ultra Wrap that feels nice but is a bit thick and needs extra tape to hold the end. Kind of ruins the look.

Today at Academy Sports I got Unique overgrip SoftGrip, and Rawlings Ultra Thin Replacement Bat Grip.

The Unique has the same issue as the Wilson but it is thinner.

Rawlings seems to about the same thickness but seems even grippier.

I sure was happy with Sport Tape. It didn't LOOK all that great but it was the shizel for feel IMO.:whistle:

See if you can find me several rolls in black and I'll send you a Money Order!

Thanks for looking! :poke:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My usual candidates are electrical tape, rubber o-ring, and hockey tape (more grip and heavier duty than electrical tape). None of them will ever be in short supply, and all works well.

I'm not sure if your sport tape is same as hockey tape up here.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm not sure either. This stuff is cloth on the outside with a semi shiny texture. It REALLY takes the cold feeling from Aluminum!

This other stuff I got would be okay on a long enough light to use another sort of tape at the end of the wrap.

What made Sport Tape so good is it sticks to itself. I have a little band of it around my MTE 1AA. I have some of the Wilson stuff on the SAIK with the end of the wrap superglued over itself. It sticks out and can make the light a little tough to draw from the holster. The MTE breazed out of the same holster.

So I guess you can see why I REALLY want more Sport Tape!!!

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=318095&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?page=1^Query=elastic+bandage^ActiveCat=65�

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, they are probably the same thing. It's paper thin fabric, with glue on one side and the other side is semi shiny, and sticky a tiny bit when it's warm.

Google for hockey tape there are tons avaliable. These guys seem to have it cheap. Seems they would send you two rolls of sample for only $5 too. Try it out, if it's not what you had in mind you are only out 5 bucks.

I'm not sure either. This stuff is cloth on the outside with a semi shiny texture. It REALLY takes the cold feeling from Aluminum!

This other stuff I got would be okay on a long enough light to use another sort of tape at the end of the wrap.

What made Sport Tape so good is it sticks to itself. I have a little band of it around my MTE 1AA. I have some of the Wilson stuff on the SAIK with the end of the wrap superglued over itself. It sticks out and can make the light a little tough to draw from the holster. The MTE breazed out of the same holster.

So I guess you can see why I REALLY want more Sport Tape!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
gripstuffnoflashtwo.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the stuff I'm talking about.

First light is an Energizer 2AA 1W with Sport Tape. Notice how smooth it is.
Second is Streamlight TT3AA with Unique wrap. It's not TOO bad.
Third is DX 7999 RC-F4 with Rawlings bat wrap. Feels decent but the edges stick up pretty good.
Fourth is 3609 RC-G2 with Wilson racket wrap with the end superglued. It's pretty smooth and feels pretty good.

But notice how smooth #1 is. And the feel of it is beyond compare!

So find me some more Sport Tape!!!!

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Shrink tubing is what I use based on what I have read in this BB the last few years.

I use the stuff sold by hardware stores as they seem to last longer than that sold by Frys or Radio Shack.

I first apply strips of skateboard tape with some Velcro brand adhesive to various locations on the flashlight. This helps to keep the shrink tubing from moving as it eventually loosens. When it does loosen, I just blast it again with the heat gun.

This method has worked well for me.

Below is an Aleph 2 head with a Mirage Man 18650 battery tube and flattop 2 stage switch.

AlephA-2with2xCR123batterytube.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
As it turns out I had some 3/4" shrink and did an extra SAIK 1AA Cree with it.

Feels good but I almost didn't get it on there!

I use Sport Tape on big and little lights, and would REALLY like some more!!