ROP 2D Runtime?

jugg2

Enlightened
What kind of runtime can I expect from a 6XAA ROP High? I will probably run Eneloops in it.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Eneloops ftw on a 6 pack for a 2d rop. I love mine. Mine gets too hot to leave on, but I know if I turn it off to cool down every 10 mins or so it runs a little over an hour on a charge. It's one of my favorite lights :)

g

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have a ROP 2D, I run 6 X AA titaniums in it, currently running the High bulb. I thought that I had about 15-20min runtime on high tops. I dont think i get 30min with high bulb, the output drops rather rappedly. I probably get more than 15 min of high output, but i sure dont get that high output for very long...

Havent tried the low bulb yet. Have to take a hike in the woods and try it out better.

Someone dont happen to have a runtime chart?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you make your batteries rest for some time after charging before using them again? I just got my kit today! ;) (2 FM 6AA to 2D adapters, FM MOP dual-purpose reflector and bulbs kit) I have a set of Eneloop and a set of Duracell Pre-Charged (believed to be rebadged Eneloop).

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a ROP 2D, I run 6 X AA titaniums in it, currently running the High bulb. I thought that I had about 15-20min runtime on high tops. I dont think i get 30min with high bulb, the output drops rather rappedly. I probably get more than 15 min of high output, but i sure dont get that high output for very long...

Havent tried the low bulb yet. Have to take a hike in the woods and try it out better.

Someone dont happen to have a runtime chart?
You're not using rechargeable batteries in your ROP?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried my ROP HI with 2 3toD adapters (KaiDomain style) and 6AA Duracell 2650 mAh. The light went from bright and white (FM adapter) to dim and yellow! I didn't thought the difference would be that big!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
You're not using rechargeable batteries in your ROP?

yes, I use Titanium NiMH AA.
After the second recharge of the batterys one of them leaked! I have heard that they tend to leak. But the reason I bought them was because they could deliver high current faster, so I could run the high bulb better. I personally dont have any experiences with HiMH batts more than a little with theese, so I wouldnt know which brand I would choose to replace theese with.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, I use Titanium NiMH AA.
After the second recharge of the batterys one of them leaked! I have heard that they tend to leak. But the reason I bought them was because they could deliver high current faster, so I could run the high bulb better. I personally dont have any experiences with HiMH batts more than a little with theese, so I wouldnt know which brand I would choose to replace theese with.

Eneloop and Duracell Pre-Charged seems to have the same performance in the ROP I made yesterday!

I have a question. What bulb life I can expect from ROP-HI and ROP-LO bulb on 6 AA NiMH?

Thanks

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
For my first ROP, I used a 8AA->2D from the sandwich shoppe. I played with alkalines and lithiums, but the bulbs went :poof: without 2 dummy cells. Then I tried Eneloops, first 6, then 7, then 8 full cells. No poofing, just brilliant solid output from the Low and High bulbs.

I havnt had it long enough to recommend it, but 25% more cells should equal 25% more run time. And 8 eneloops gave more output than 6 of anything else. Throw in a new lens and MOP reflector and you've got FL heaven.

RoyJ

Enlightened
I havnt had it long enough to recommend it, but 25% more cells should equal 25% more run time.

Definitely not.

You're adding cells in series, which does not change the effective capacity of the cells. You're simply driving the bulb harder - i.e. using up as much energy as you're adding in.

If anything, an 8AA ROP would run shorter than a 6AA setup, because you're driving the bulb harder and therefore the current will be slightly higher (wattage will be significantly higher due to higher voltage).

I'm really surprised that 8 cells didn't turn the ROP bulbs into camera flash-bulbs, though...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Definitely not.

I'm really surprised that 8 cells didn't turn the ROP bulbs into camera flash-bulbs, though...

Thanks for the info. The particulars of series engineering don't seem to want to stick!

Yes, I'm VERY surprised that 8 Eneloops don't :poof: 8 cells pushing Low ROP, High ROP, no poof. But even 7 of anything else and no more bulb.