New Leather Sewing Technology

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
After spending the last little while on this forum I have been enlightened, so to speak.

When I was walking through Princess Auto the other day a hat mounted LED unit caught my eye. This thing mounts on the peak of a baseball hat and has 4 LEDs.

Now I can sit in my favourite chair watching TV and adjust the light beam to shine on the leather sheaths that I am stitching. Works great, lots of light exactly where I am looking and working. It makes a tedious job almost enjoyable.

Talk about cross over of interests, who would have thought that one trade could benefit from technology from another like this.

George

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

Come on now, I think you're being a bit harsh. The thread title and forum may have been misleading but once you read the post and gain a sense of context, the former make sense.

A new member says that he has had good experiences with a LED hat-mounted light. What's not to like about that?

George, thanks for your experience!

Could you post pictures of your work?

In the future, the most appropriate place for this thread would probably be General Flashlight Discussion (it's currently in Custom Forge).

Groundhog66

Banned
No matter which hobby you have, you can always find a new angle to make it more enjoyable for yourself. Headlamps make many tasks easier and less tedious, glad you are "seeing the light".

:thumbsup:

Tim

paulr

Flashaholic
Hey George, welcome to CPF and if you want something a little bit higher end, you might try the Zebralight H50 headlight (there are several threads about it). its flood beam is perfect for close-up use like what you're doing, and it runs very well on a rechargeable AA cell.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
The title is a little tongue in cheek but in the knifemaking community leather work is definitely not a favourite task. The knife is what it is all about and the sheath is just another job to be done before the knife can be sold.

I consider it a real step up when I can come out of the basement and sit with the family in the living room without having high intensity lights on to provide enough light for hand sewing. I thought I would pass it on to the other knifemakers around here.

George