SF C2 vs Washing Machine

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
as promised, i sent my C2 into the washing machine together with the laundry, with batteries and lamp. i left it in the pocket of a pair of jeans since i didn't want it banging around in the machine.

first thing i did when i opened the door was search for the pair of jeans, but the light was no longer inside. i figure it probably came out during the tumble cycle, so i started transferring all the clothes into the dryer. on removing a blanket, my C2 clattered noisily to the ceremic tiled floor, making yet another dent in the bezel, together with the numerous scrapes on the bezel and tailcap it sustained when it got out of the jeans pocket and banged around inside the machine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

for the moment of truth, i gripped the C2 nervously and pushed the tailcap button, but there was no light. i panicked, then i remembered i had locked out the tailcap before sending it into the machine. i aligned the notches, pushed the switch and i was rewarded with a nice flood of light no different from how it had been before i put it in the laundry. the beam was still in focus, and on opening it, not a single drop of water leaked in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

i now have the utmost confidence in my C2, and i expect it will survive anything i can throw at it within reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
One could question whether it was reasonable to put your C2 in the wash to begin with but "Flashaholic" says it all doesn't it!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Chamenos! It´s nice it can survive the "typical" use of a flashaholic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Littleninjai the typical wash is about @10 to 20 minutes wash,@3-5 mins. spin,@5 minutes rinse, @3-5 mins spin again.

Add it up and you get about 40 to 50 minutes

HTH
Alex

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Chamenos old friend,I Knew you were a dedicated flashaholic but didn't know what lengths you'd go to prove it! I commend your adventurous spirit and your guts for putting your C2 through the wash but i wonder if you regret it now that the C2 is bashed up a bit?

All the best

Doug

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very brave! i would never do that on *purpose*!

i think my e2e may have gone through the wash also, but i'm not sure...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al: its all in the name of science /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

littleninjai & alexgt: that is correct, the entire cycle took about one hour, alternating between tumble cycles and full spin cycles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

doug: its been a while since i last saw you post on here or the SIDB, but its nice to see you back! if this particular C2 was meant to be part of my collection, i would definitely be upset but since its my EDC along with my arc, i don't really baby it. prior to putting it into the washing machine, it already had some scratches and dents, so i wasn't too worried about it getting more characeter marks.

the mini maglite i have that i used for 6 years before i got my arc AAA and C2 looks in even worse shape, but it still works as good as new. all i need now is an opalec newbeam module for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm thinking of putting my C2 through the dryer next to see how well it holds up to "thermal shock" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rothrandir: i was quite apprehensive about it, but onyx had already put his G2 through a wash cycle and reported no damage to the lamp. i was both relieved and elated when i found the C2 had lived up to my expectations. the last time i felt the same way was when i got my arc AAA, so that says a lot about my C2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

onyx: you bet! who wants to do the dryer next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I wonder if you had on the light throughout the one hour of washing, would things have been different? Since the filament's s'pose to be soften when it's hot... and blah blah blah.. care for another test and burning up 2 lithiums? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened
If the C2 survived it then I can count on my M2. Oh no, I'm not brave enough to do any test in purpose. Thanx chamenos and alexgt!

Deviant

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LittleNinjai said:
If the C2 survived it then I can count on my M2. Oh no, I'm not brave enough to do any test in purpose. Thanx chamenos and alexgt!

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessary, what I understand is chamenos had a M2 and switch to a C2 for better waterproofing. The M2 leaked through the bezel lens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
C2 is just as likely to leak or not leak.
M2 Bezel has better lens seal. Fact.

When you have tested a 1000 samples or each, then you can start to say which has better seals.

There are many more M2 Bezels out in use in harms way then C2 bezels. If you would like reliability data, talk to SureFire Tech Support or Military for failure/problem rates.

CPF is not in the slightest representative of SureFire product numbers, use or application.

That said, it is vital that we let SureFire Tech Support know of any problems we have with our SureFires so that our experiences can be recorded and used as part of SureFire's product quality evaluation and improvement systems.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerd: i don't really mind the cost of two lithiums, but the cost of a new P60 is a bit too costly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

littleninjai & deviant: that is correct; my M2 did leak through the lens seal, but the replacement bezel that surefire sent me did not leak. the main reason for me changing to the C2 was that i found the M2 too large to EDC, and its cost inhibited me subconsciously from using it like i use my C2. the leaking bezel was kinda like breaking the last straw on the camel's back, so to speak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al: thanks for the info!