What's the consensus on this flashlight?

ES13Raven

Newly Enlightened
So what is the forum's verdict on the Inova XO3 5.8-Watt LED Flashlight?

They have them at Target for about $55. Is that a good value for what this flashlight offers?

It says 5.8 watt LED. Anyone know the Lumens or Candlepower?

EMIXO3MTWT.jpg

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's a good light, but uses old technology. If major output is your goal, a similar form factor (a bit slimmer actually) would be the Fenix P3D Q5 for about the same price.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this at Target yesterday...and wasn't too impressed. Maybe the batteries were low from a lot of testing but it was no brighter than what I had on my keychain, an Orb Raw NS on high

I believe its 3AAA right? The Leatherman Cree light is brighter and is $30 bucks at Costco.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many Inova's aren't the brightest for their price, but there are few lights that are as bright and have equal build quality for the same price as an Inova. If you need a really rugged light, and that Inova is bright enough for what you will actually be using it for, it would probably serve you well.

ES13Raven

Newly Enlightened
It's a good light, but uses old technology. If major output is your goal, a similar form factor (a bit slimmer actually) would be the Fenix P3D Q5 for about the same price.
I guess what I am looking for is something: small (about 6" long), lightweight, durable, powerful, tactical, and button activated (not twist) for under $80. It doesn't have to be re-chargeable.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

kramer5150

Flashaholic
That light always puzzles me. They have that "try-me" style of packaging. Every time I do at Target or Frys... it has almost NO throw. Nada beyond ~15 feet...????

Do they load them with cheap cells?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sure it will throw more than 15 feet :)

Its just guys like me go there before you and test it and run down the batteries. Plus with those display packages it shines into a little mirror. Great for blinding a potential customer :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens can only be properly measured with an integrating sphere, but as a guess I'd say it will put about 100 lumens out the front tops.
Candlepower is kind of useless and I have no idea how many CP it would be putting out.

My advice would be to wait on buying an Inova for a couple months until their new stuff comes out for 2008. In the meantime you can buy a quality light from another brand to tide you over. The current Inovas aren't worth it IMO poor brightness AND runtime compared to the competition.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I guess what I am looking for is something: small (about 6" long), lightweight, durable, powerful, tactical, and button activated (not twist) for under $80. It doesn't have to be re-chargeable.

Sounds like you want the aforementioned P3D Q5

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
IMO Inova lights offer the best value for ruggedness, reliability, and output on the market. Inovas aren't the brightest lights but they are built like tanks, very reliable, and have more than enough output for 99% most peoples needs. They also have a lifetime warranty. I have several Inovas many of which have taken some pretty severe abuse but just keep going. I would recommend the light to anyone unless you were buying it purely to outgun your friend with a CREE or Seoul light.

heckboy

Enlightened
I bought an X0 and an X5 with a Target gift cert a while back. I picked them up because I had read "good things" about them here. I was hugely disappointed in both and returned them. They certainly seemed to be fairly rugged but I hated the tail switch and I thought the output level was lousy even for the money. It may have been my frame of reference since I already own a number of Surefires, Fenixs, Peaks, Arcs, Orbs and a Novatac so I don't know that there is a place to for a cheaper dimmer light that isn't extremely small in my collection.

Hey, Karmmer5150: the lights I bought had Duracells in them. I also swapped them out for some fresh Titanium batteries...lights still dim.

Good luck,
HB

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never understood the run for the "X" models.
:thinking:
The "T"s make great hosts for modding, but the "X"s?

PS: if someone already has a light in his hands (= can do measurements), just measure current.
Dont blame a light meant for longer runtime (= consuming not too much power) for being dim
which should not be interpreted that I recommend Luxeon K2 using - single mode led lights (Inovas in original state)

I am looking for a tactical flashlight for the Police Academy.
then get a Fenix T1,
i dont like unnecessary thick, strike-bezeled lights, but this one features a forward clicky ...
(and You will not find anything better in that price range! If someone thinks: linky please)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Humm,

The Dereelight will be easy to upgrade and is pretty bright. The Fenix T1 is also good but harder to upgrade when new LEDs come out(8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"). Some of the Lumapower lights like the M1-R would also work. The Surefire G2L and 6PL will also work but they aren't as bright as the above lights.

The Dereelight is still the easiest to upgrade though.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
These were gifts from a good friend. Previously, I had not owned nor used Inova lights. I don't know what the nominal nor measured outputs happen to be. Those figures are not important to me.

What I value from these products is their usefulness in the event that I need light in a circumstance involving the use of my automobile such as map reading, changing a flat tire, or looking for object lost in the dreary depths of my glove compartment, trunk, underneath the seats, or between the seats and center console.

They remain nestled in a soft nylon case from countycomm and in my glove compartment with a box of SF123 next to it.

I have read on this BB as well as on EDCF that Inova will be upgrading these products to the more efficient, higher output LED.

The build quality is exemplary and I am happy with these products.

CIMG0452.jpg

CIMG0450.jpg