Is the Nitecore Defender worth it? $80

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of getting it but the price is kinda high. This is gonna be my first expensive flashlite. My other one is a C3 Ultrafire 1 mode. Whats the comparison between these two? By the way, this is the brightest AA out right now right? If not which one? Should I get it?

Last edited:

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Nevermind, I decided not to get it. I guess $80 is just too much, Max I'd go is $50 but they don't have the offer no more. :mad:

CanadianEh

Newly Enlightened
I was lucky enough to get one at $40. Is it worth $80? No. $50-60 Yes. Great light, the interface is very easy to use.

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
Didn't know about the deal. But I just put a mad face for for the heck of it.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've changed my mind. I think it's worth $80 (only a few bucks more than the premium Fenix AA models). A very unique AA light with interesting features. It's not for everybody though.

If you want a more expensive flashlight, I'd say pony up and be prepared to pay. They are worth it, if they offer what you want :thumbsup:

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
How bright is it compared to one of those big maglites (older model with incandecent) with 3 D Cells? You see, I have very little knowledge of flashlights. I just want to test out my new eneloop batteries. Heck, I don't even collect flashlights. I don't even know how I started.

Last edited:

CanadianEh

Newly Enlightened
Much brighter, but it doesn't have much throw. You'll light up a room real nice, just not the room across the street.

djblank87

Enlightened
What does throw mean?

Throw: From the Welcome Mat
-Throw is a flashlight's ability to project light over a distance. In flashlights with a lens, parabolic reflector, or other optical system attempting to get parallel rays of light, a beam with higher point brightness in the center will throw better than others. Remember that this isn't universal: For example, a flashlight with an ellipsoidal reflector would create a very tight, bright spot at a certain distance away (the ellipse's other focus), but almost no beam at all at other distances.

Flood: From the Welcome Mat
-Flood describes a light's ability to illuminate a large area, especially at close distances. It's especially useful for when you're indoors or working with something in your immediate surroundings. Some flashlights "focus" (get it? Focus? :) ) entirely on flood, such as lights with little or no reflector and lanterns. These are very useful for general illumination during power outages or on camping trips, but their lack of distance lighting capability makes them less popular than throwers.

See the CPF "Welcome Mat" for more detailed explinations. :welcome:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I think it's worth it now that I have it on my hands and have tested it. If I had no prior knowledge of it I would probably say no. I got it for $50 so I'm happy with it. My coworker was amazed by it today but once he heard the price tag he was kind of shocked. His comments were "I would hate to pay that much for it and then lose it". He was very impressed by how small it was and how bright it is on just one eneloop.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does throw mean?
yes you got an answer, but a little research wont hurt..in fact it will benefit you a long way.

And try to write in a nicer way, we are all like one big family here...:welcome: :)

Crenshaw

j5tar

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'll get it now because its gonna be the only one I will use and keep it for my life.

AzGB

Enlightened
I guess I'll get it now because its gonna be the only one I will use and keep it for my life.

Don't hold yourself to that. You just discovered CPF. Unless you log out and forget all about this place, you'll probably want something you see here very soon. :whistle:

We all do, we can't help it. :shrug:

djblank87

Enlightened
Don't hold yourself to that. You just discovered CPF. Unless you log out and forget all about this place, you'll probably want something you see here very soon. :whistle:

We all do, we can't help it. :shrug:

Agreed. :nana:

j5tar: Just remeber that the Nitecore is not the only option out there. Consider the following for just a taste of how many companies are out there:

Dereelight
Regal
Fenix
Surefire
Streamlight
Pelican
NovaTac
EDC/HDS
Nitecore
Olight

That is just few out of the many, many light companies out there and they all have options which will meet your needs regardless of what company it is. Keep your options open and explore what is out there, once you do that you will see one of two things:

Either you need one light to do one thing and another light to do something else. Then you will come to understand the following;

Buy Both :D

This is a small list over in the Market Place for dealers: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=12
It will show even more dealers.

Last edited:

Gary123

Enlightened
Two questions about the Nitecore: 1) anyone know how easy it is to upgrade? Folks always point out that todays greatest will soon be outdated. 2) Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Nitecore requires 2 hands to change brighteness - correct? I love my Novatac because after setting the brightness levels, I can easily get the output I want with one hand. I wouldn't want a light where changing output levels requires two hands.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Two questions about the Nitecore: 1) anyone know how easy it is to upgrade? Folks always point out that todays greatest will soon be outdated. 2) Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Nitecore requires 2 hands to change brighteness - correct? I love my Novatac because after setting the brightness levels, I can easily get the output I want with one hand. I wouldn't want a light where changing output levels requires two hands.

If you unscrew the driver from the head, the emitter is accessible, and just about as easy as any other similar light to swap out (think Ultrafire C3 style swap)

The head can be tight, but if you lube the front o-ring a bit, you can manage with one hand.

[rant]
:rant: Off Topic Alert/Mini Rant :rant:(not towards you specifically Gary123)
But what's the big deal with occasionally needing two hands? Just a few years ago, the only option was one brightness setting. These days I see a lot of people criticizing lights for occasionally needing two hands to change modes. Seems like a small price to pay for having so much flexibility at your fingertips (literally). As for the NiteCore in particular, I'd much rather have to occasionally use two hands to change the brightness (simple as twisting the head a quarter turn) than constantly clicking the switch to cycle through a bazillion modes EVERY time I want to use the light.

My my, the masses are picky these days.

[/rant]

Last edited:

Tubor

Enlightened
Well, most wouldn't consider paying more than $20 for a torch because they don't know what they want from a light except "loads of bright", which you can get from a 2million candle power rechargeable thingy. Torches are an acquired taste. So buy your C3, it's a pretty good for the money, but if you want more, then $80 for the Nitecore is a fair price for a very capable, well- built torch.