DX 1447 cree drop in review

dave43

Newly Enlightened
Not impressed...Everything I read said it fit perfectly in a G2. But there was a gap when I screwed the head onto the body. Is there a fix? It was a little brighter for close up work but didn't notice the difference on a throw of say 50 yards. I also noticed it emitted a burning smell immediately after 10 seconds on...is this normal? I also like the more natural light of the P60 incandescent as it is easier to distinguish what things are at distances. I might try the dereelight drop in as I heard it was really bright.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave,

I can't comment on the tolerances in build but with my limited moding (more like breaking stuff LOL) When my SSC and Cree leds overheated BAD, they turned blue and then.. :poof: Dead!!! No more then 10 seconds before pop!!! :)

It could be somehting else... the LED IMHO not so much. Maybe one of the experts has a better answer

Also, check into the Lumapower and Fenix units for your taste. They have a lot to offer for shorter monies than a "big boy" torch

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you smell something coming from the module, that is usually a bad thing. Try unscrewing the reflector a bit in case there is a short.

I think if you remove the outer spring, cut it down or something will remove the gap.

dave43

Newly Enlightened
If you smell something coming from the module, that is usually a bad thing. Try unscrewing the reflector a bit in case there is a short.

I think if you remove the outer spring, cut it down or something will remove the gap.

I sanded down 1-2 mm on the top of the reflector surface and it fit perfectly...no gap. It must have been a short before as the smell isn't as bad...I can only smell it if I put my nose right up to the cree. Does anyone know if there is a right way to put the 123's in? Can it fry the unit if put in wrong?