Pentagonlight updated their lights? Check it out...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they added a pocket clip to the HA models and the output numbers are about 20% higher than before, but the runtime numbers are the same. Hmmm. I wonder whats going on. I wonder if its possible to upgrade the emitter to a SSCP4.

Pentagon lights.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
It's actually pretty easy to drop in a new LED to the L2/L3 once you defeat the sealant on the bezel. I put a W-Bin 5W in my L3 and it is an absolute monster. I have my L2s broken down for CREE upgrades, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

I would like to see Pentagon release a 1-cell LED in the X1 form factor and upgrade their MOLLE light to either 1xCR123A or 2 AA cells.

Hell, I may give them a call to see what they have brewing. Last time I spoke to their customer rep he was very competent and friendly, he was also well aware of these forums. I am so disappointed the X4 incan never came to pass, an American made competitor to the M4 would have been boss.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Do the Pentagon LED heads fit on any Surefire lights?

I doubt it. Not 100% sure though. I'm curious.... why take a PL head and try to fit it onto a Surefire body? I'm thinking that the other way around would be more useful since Surefire heads contain brighter lamps than their PL counterparts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
To: KDOG3 -

I found PL's site several months ago, for the first time. They were offering pocket clips on the HA models even back then.

Upgrading older Lux LED lights with SSC emitters is generally easy.... once you get the heads open. Trying the same type of upgrade with a CREE (instead of an SSC) isn't usually as straight forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
To: spoonrobot -

An X4 would have likely met with limited success. PL is not as well-known as Surefire. After-market support for PL products is no where. And the output would likely not have been as good as an M4.

I have a PentagonLights X3 that I love, I tried to upgrade it. Even made a thread about that on CPF. Asked if anyone knew of a good after-market lamp for it. The few CPFers who posted in the thread said they knew no place I could get a better, brighter lamp assembly. Honestly, if I had bought a Surefire M3; it would have been a completely different story. :sigh:

Last edited:

spoonrobot

Enlightened

An X4 would have likely met with limited success. PL is not as well-known as Surefire. After-market support for PL products is no where. And the output would likely not have been as good as an M4.

I have a PentagonLights X3 that I love, I tried to upgrade it. Even made a thread about that on CPF. Asked if anyone knew of a good after-market lamp for it. The few CPFers who posted in the thread said they knew no place I could get a better, brighter lamp assembly. Honestly, if I had bought a Surefire M3; it would have been a completely different story. :sigh:

You are aware that according to most sources the X4 parts were built and ready to assemble before production was halted. As it stands now the parts are in limbo, waiting for the order to be made or sold off. A real shame too because the head looked like it was going to be larger than the KT4 by at least a 1/4" of so. Why would the X4 not have been as bright as the M4? (Assuming we compared the proper lamp assemblies) My X3 compares nicely in terms of brightness and whiteness to the LOLA of my M3T, Just as the X2 LA compared favorably to the P60?

I do read quite a bit of your posts about a lack of aftermarket support for Pentagonlight and cannot help but chuckle. If you are so concerned about the subject why do you not buy into another company that has more strength in this area? I have yet to wish for any sort of aftermarket item for any of my Pentagonlights, when I wanted a turbohead, I went ahead and bought a Surefire instead of bemoaning the fact that no one made one for the Pentagonlight.

Aftermarket support is not really something I am concerned with, if the company makes a quality product, as they do, there is little need for items from other companies. It would have been prudent of you to do your research ahead of time about upgrades to these lights before purchasing, perhaps you should have bought an M3 instead? Of course, then you'd have paid at least 100-150$ more for the same level of stock brightness. Pentagonlight has only be around for a fraction of the time that Surefire has, their support base can only grow in the future.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You are aware that according to most sources the X4 parts were built and ready to assemble before production was halted. As it stands now the parts are in limbo, waiting for the order to be made or sold off. A real shame too because the head looked like it was going to be larger than the KT4 by at least a 1/4" of so. Why would the X4 not have been as bright as the M4? (Assuming we compared the proper lamp assemblies) My X3 compares nicely in terms of brightness and whiteness to the LOLA of my M3T, Just as the X2 LA compared favorably to the P60?

I do read quite a bit of your posts about a lack of aftermarket support for Pentagonlight and cannot help but chuckle. If you are so concerned about the subject why do you not buy into another company that has more strength in this area? I have yet to wish for any sort of aftermarket item for any of my Pentagonlights, when I wanted a turbohead, I went ahead and bought a Surefire instead of bemoaning the fact that no one made one for the Pentagonlight.

Aftermarket support is not really something I am concerned with, if the company makes a quality product, as they do, there is little need for items from other companies. It would have been prudent of you to do your research ahead of time about upgrades to these lights before purchasing, perhaps you should have bought an M3 instead? Of course, then you'd have paid at least 100-150$ more for the same level of stock brightness. Pentagonlight has only be around for a fraction of the time that Surefire has, their support base can only grow in the future.

Perhaps it's an issue of how the naked eye sees lumen output. But my X3 isn't as bright as an M3 with the HOLA.

After-market support means that other companies have recognized your products as being some of the best out there. Your products are so popular and so well-received, that outside companies are making money by catering to your customer base. You can chuckle all you want, but perhaps now you can see why a lack of after-market support is indeed an issue. I bought the X3, along with a Night-Ops Gladius, to help out a Dealer aquaintence of mine. Long story short, the NYPD and the City is trying to put him in jail, to make an example of him. His crime, selling regular folding knives that they claim are illegal gravity knives. I bought those lights to help him out since he's not the type to take money, as a loan or as a gift. Then, I realized just how good the X3 is that I bought.... and how sad that it could not be made better.

Normally, I do buy Surefire lights. But since I generally hate Surefire's business practices, I've been looking for a good substitute. PL comes very close. More so than other companies, and yet they fall short in a couple of key areas. Despite making great lights, many CPFers use after-market parts in their Surefires. Lumens Factory lamps, so they can use rechargeable cells in their favorite Surefire model, as one example. And I'm sure you've seen the many threads about converting an M6 into a rechargeable model. And of course, the popularity of Leef bodies for Surefire lights.

When I first saw a PL light at my favorite B&M shop, I had no clue what it was. Came on CPF, did some research, dano was very helpful in putting things into perspective. Bought it mainly to help out the Dealer, but was glad I wasn't buying junk. You are correct though, if performance and upgrade-ability were high on my list, I should have bought a 3-cell Surefire; despite the higher price tag.

I have to disagree with the last part of your post. PL's support base can either grow, in the future.... or the company could go out of business, based on demand for competitors products and other market issues. I wish PL a great deal of success. They clearly make quality products..... that very few people know about, compared to Surefire. Ever gone a full day without seeing at least a few Surefire topics on CPF? It's rare to find a PentagonLights topic over the course of a few weeks.

And to top it off, Fenix is now stepping up to the plate; to take on Surefire. Their T1 model is not perfect. But it shows that the company is serious about taking at least a small piece of Surefire's civilian market-share by making a light just as tough, more runtime, but brighter. Sadly, I don't see PL doing that.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Perhaps it's an issue of how the naked eye sees lumen output. But my X3 isn't as bright as an M3 with the HOLA.

After-market support means that other companies have recognized your products as being some of the best out there. Your products are so popular and so well-received, that outside companies are making money by catering to your customer base. You can chuckle all you want, but perhaps now you can see why a lack of after-market support is indeed an issue. I bought the X3, along with a Night-Ops Gladius, to help out a Dealer aquaintence of mine. Long story short, the NYPD and the City is trying to put him in jail, to make an example of him. His crime, selling regular folding knives that they claim are illegal gravity knives. I bought those lights to help him out since he's not the type to take money, as a loan or as a gift. Then, I realized just how good the X3 is that I bought.... and how sad that it could not be made better.

Normally, I do buy Surefire lights. But since I generally hate Surefire's business practices, I've been looking for a good substitute. PL comes very close. More so than other companies, and yet they fall short in a couple of key areas. Despite making great lights, many CPFers use after-market parts in their Surefires. Lumens Factory lamps, so they can use rechargeable cells in their favorite Surefire model, as one example. And I'm sure you've seen the many threads about converting an M6 into a rechargeable model. And of course, the popularity of Leef bodies for Surefire lights.

When I first saw a PL light at my favorite B&M shop, I had no clue what it was. Came on CPF, did some research, dano was very helpful in putting things into perspective. Bought it mainly to help out the Dealer, but was glad I wasn't buying junk. You are correct though, if performance and upgrade-ability were high on my list, I should have bought a 3-cell Surefire; despite the higher price tag.

I have to disagree with the last part of your post. PL's support base can either grow, in the future.... or the company could go out of business, based on demand for competitors products and other market issues. I wish PL a great deal of success. They clearly make quality products..... that very few people know about, compared to Surefire. Ever gone a full day without seeing at least a few Surefire topics on CPF? It's rare to find a PentagonLights topic over the course of a few weeks.

And to top it off, Fenix is now stepping up to the plate; to take on Surefire. Their T1 model is not perfect. But it shows that the company is serious about taking at least a small piece of Surefire's civilian market-share by making a light just as tough, more runtime, but brighter. Sadly, I don't see PL doing that.

Ah, by no means is the X3 as bright as the HOLA lamp on the M3. It is not meant to be since it has an hour runtime and is slightly brighter than the LOLA.

Who really has a huge third-party support base other than Surefire and maybe Fenix? I can't really get too many other parts for my Inova or Lumapower lights, or any other manufacturer I can think of off-hand.

I think the lack of chatter about Pentagonlight is more obvious on this forum. They are very popular with a lot of the gun boards I frequent and are becoming more recognizeable. For some reason they never really latched on to these forums. They also appear to be encroaching on Surefire's monopoly of movie lighting, a few Pentagonlights made appearances in "I am Ledgend." They are also being seen with more frequency in photos coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan. Time will tell with their success but I do hope they continue to grow.

:)

Xak

Enlightened
I wonder if there are brighter LEDs that they can put in their 19LED S2. I'm looking for a good hand held LED flooder. Pentagons look like great quality lights and I love their (cell phone style) belt clip, but I fear the S2 may not be bright enough for me.

I guess I could always get replacement head if they up grade their LEDs. Anyone have any thoughts on their S2?

:thinking:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wonder if there are brighter LEDs that they can put in their 19LED S2. I'm looking for a good hand held LED flooder. Pentagons look like great quality lights and I love their (cell phone style) belt clip, but I fear the S2 may not be bright enough for me.

I guess I could always get replacement head if they up grade their LEDs. Anyone have any thoughts on their S2?

:thinking:

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the Surefire L4 model isn't a good hand-held LED flood light. It's a great one!

One of the few lights in my collection that I'll never sell or give up.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, I do buy Surefire lights. But since I generally hate Surefire's business practices, I've been looking for a good substitute.

:eek::eek:

I must say pentagon light is an interesting brand that i wondered why didnt get more attention here...i really wanted thier molle light at one point, but the output level, and shipping really put me off, And the fact that you had to store the filter ON the base of the light.

Maybe I am Legend is a sign of things to come for pentagon? maybe they are going to step it up..who knows..

Crenshaw

Xak

Enlightened
I may have to get the Pentagon S2. The curiosity is killing me and I like supporting American companies (although I crave a Fenix T1 and/or a Romisen RC-T5). I love the belt clip, and if it spits out enough usable light I'm sure I'll like it.

I saw some youtube.com videos of the Surefire L4, and while it is an impressive light I would gladly sacrifice some brightness for a larger flood. I need an indoor/up close light. The Pentagon looks like it will at least provide a similar or larger flood, it's less expensive, and made in USA.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I saw some youtube.com videos of the Surefire L4, and while it is an impressive light I would gladly sacrifice some brightness for a larger flood. I need an indoor/up close light. The Pentagon looks like it will at least provide a similar or larger flood, it's less expensive, and made in USA.

:confused:

An L4 will give you a wall of light (flood), but it has less brightness at the hotspot than many other lights about the same size.

I got to handle an S2 at a B&M shop run by an aquaintence of mine. I'd say the L4 has better flood. But yes, the S2 is less expensive. Surefire is definitely Made in the USA. But some say that PentagonLights are only Assembled in the USA.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
It's actually pretty easy to drop in a new LED to the L2/L3 once you defeat the sealant on the bezel. I put a W-Bin 5W in my L3 and it is an absolute monster. I have my L2s broken down for CREE upgrades, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

How did you get the sealant to let go?

spoonrobot

Enlightened
A quick dunk in boiling water followed by two locking pliers. Did a hell of a number on the finish though.

Flymo

Newly Enlightened
I doubt it. Not 100% sure though. I'm curious.... why take a PL head and try to fit it onto a Surefire body? I'm thinking that the other way around would be more useful since Surefire heads contain brighter lamps than their PL counterparts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
To: KDOG3 -

I found PL's site several months ago, for the first time. They were offering pocket clips on the HA models even back then.

Upgrading older Lux LED lights with SSC emitters is generally easy.... once you get the heads open. Trying the same type of upgrade with a CREE (instead of an SSC) isn't usually as straight forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upgrading Luxeon for a SSC-P4 easy ???
I have opened the PL L2 and replaced the emitter (SSC) but it did not work at all, so I put the Luxeon III back for a working flashlight.
I think the circuitboard is the problem, but don't know what to do to change some parts.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Upgrading Luxeon for a SSC-P4 easy ???
I have opened the PL L2 and replaced the emitter (SSC) but it did not work at all, so I put the Luxeon III back for a working flashlight.
I think the circuitboard is the problem, but don't know what to do to change some parts.

It's not easy with every Lux-based light. But in general, you need to do some fiddling to get a Cree to fit inside an older Luxeon light. SSC emitters do generally fit better.