help with computer question regarding 'print spooler service'

colubrid

Enlightened
For the last 4 months i cannot use my printer. Whenever i try to print something it says "print spooler service is not running".

What is a "print spooler service" and how do i fix it to make it run? is this some program I need to install? How do i find it? My printer always worked before and now it asks me to install the disc again and when i do I get this prompt. There is no other explanation besides what is given and i doubt most people know what a "spooler" is.

Illum

Flashaholic
uninstall the current driver, unplug the printer [both the data and power] and let it sit for a bit, reconnect power to printer, install the drivers, reconnect the data [LPT1/USB] port to your computer

see if that helps

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The print spooler is the little program that accepts the print job and talks directly it to the printer while you do other things.

You have to tell us which OS you use in order to get the proper advice. Print spoolers under Unix are different than OS/2 or Win2K.

Daniel

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If none of the above works, try going into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Look for a service called spoolsrv or something like it. Make sure the Startup Type is "Automatic". Sometimes, it will get disabled and get stuck this way.

colubrid

Enlightened
Well I downloaded the disc for the printer and a prompt keep asking me if i want to install spooler. I click yes and then nothing happens.

I am searcing my computer for "spooler" but so far nothing. But records (folders)are showing but no device.

colubrid

Enlightened
If none of the above works, try going into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Look for a service called spoolsrv or something like it. Make sure the Startup Type is "Automatic". Sometimes, it will get disabled and get stuck this way.

Found it. it is under "PRINT SPOOLER". However it says service STOPPED. When i click to start it says this.

"the depency service or group failed to start"

Now what else can I try?

It will not let me start it even though I am sure i found the right place. The startup was on "automatic" but then below it says "service stopped". I Click the start button and get the same window which says the "dependncy or service failed to start". Looks like a dead end.

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
The print spooler is the little program that accepts the print job and talks directly it to the printer while you do other things.

You have to tell us which OS you use in order to get the proper advice. Print spoolers under Unix are different than OS/2 or Win2K.

Daniel

Windows XP home edition

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your settings/printers and faxes folder--do you have a printer, or "add printer" or nothing?

Even if your printer is on, off, not connected, or just a random printer that is not connected to anything, you should have on or more named printers here.

Just a guess--but you don't need a spooler running if there are no printers defined that use the "spooler"... A printer can be directly attached (more or less, the print application prints directly to the hardware printer port) and not need the spooler task at all (spooler basically lets the printing program "print to file"--which is faster; then the other half takes the printed (or 1/2 printed file) and sends the data to the hardware printer port--the slower operation; allows the printing program to complete a large print job while the printer is still digesting and printing).

If you have the right printer defined, then right click and check the properties.

For example, under "Ports" I have COMx, File, TCP/IP, PDF, IR, etc...

Under "Advanced", you can make sure the priorty is set (mine is = 1), there is a named Driver, and either "Spool Print" or "Print Directly to Printer" option. I have had some problems with Spoolers over the years (and MS OS's...) and if I am having printing problems (hangs, lockups, no-prints, etc.), the first thing I do is hit the "Print Directly to Printer" button.

Also, if you are using a TCP/IP shared printer (and sharing files on your TCP/IP network) there is a NetBIOS setting in the Networking folder that needs to be set to always on (For all computers that will be sharing on your home network, or else, sharing does not seem to work for me--might be required for network printing too...).

-Bill

colubrid

Enlightened
In your settings/printers and faxes folder--do you have a printer, or "add printer" or nothing?

Even if your printer is on, off, not connected, or just a random printer that is not connected to anything, you should have on or more named printers here.

Just a guess--but you don't need a spooler running if there are no printers defined that use the "spooler"... A printer can be directly attached (more or less, the print application prints directly to the hardware printer port) and not need the spooler task at all (spooler basically lets the printing program "print to file"--which is faster; then the other half takes the printed (or 1/2 printed file) and sends the data to the hardware printer port--the slower operation; allows the printing program to complete a large print job while the printer is still digesting and printing).

If you have the right printer defined, then right click and check the properties.

For example, under "Ports" I have COMx, File, TCP/IP, PDF, IR, etc...

Under "Advanced", you can make sure the priorty is set (mine is = 1), there is a named Driver, and either "Spool Print" or "Print Directly to Printer" option. I have had some problems with Spoolers over the years (and MS OS's...) and if I am having printing problems (hangs, lockups, no-prints, etc.), the first thing I do is hit the "Print Directly to Printer" button.

Also, if you are using a TCP/IP shared printer (and sharing files on your TCP/IP network) there is a NetBIOS setting in the Networking folder that needs to be set to always on (For all computers that will be sharing on your home network, or else, sharing does not seem to work for me--might be required for network printing too...).

-Bill

It does not have anything.

Bill,

Most of the things you mentioned I don't understand yet. I have read it over several times and I need an interpreter.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found it. it is under "PRINT SPOOLER". However it says service STOPPED. When i click to start it says this.

"the depency service or group failed to start"

Now what else can I try?

It will not let me start it even though I am sure i found the right place. The startup was on "automatic" but then below it says "service stopped". I Click the start button and get the same window which says the "dependncy or service failed to start". Looks like a dead end.

What kind of printer do you have? I did a search on the message you got and got this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/35cgfg

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you double-click on the Print Spooleer under Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services, a box should pop up with severla tabs at the top. Click on the Dependencies tab to see what else the spooler needs to run. Mine shows that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service needs to be running also.

colubrid

Enlightened
If you double-click on the Print Spooleer under Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services, a box should pop up with severla tabs at the top. Click on the Dependencies tab to see what else the spooler needs to run. Mine shows that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service needs to be running also.

Okay I did all that and it does not say what to do. I went to the dependencies tab and there were three things. I clicked on each and that was all. It will not do anything else or activate anything.

I then tried to reload the printer disk and it loads and then a window comes up that says this:

THE SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT THE SPOOLER SERVICE IS STOPPED. IN ORDER TO CONTINUE INSTALLING, IT MUST BE STARTED.

and a round and around we go..

colubrid

Enlightened
What kind of printer do you have? I did a search on the message you got and got this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/35cgfg

CM,
This is very good advice but it still does not work. Here is what happens:

These are the directions I went by:
Error 1068

One Reason for the error "Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group Failed To Start" can be: Changed in the path of service exe in harddisk.
Example: if service exe location is (service properties shows) :: c:\Program files\xyz\abc\my_service.exe and if we change "xyz" to "wxy" folder and try to restart the service. it will give the above error.
Fixing this issue is quite simple. I had the same issue myself and after a LOT of research, I found the following steps extremely simple and it fixes the issue immediately.
1. Go to Start > Run and type in services.msc then press Enter.
2. In the window that opens find "Print Spooler" on the right
3. Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".
4. Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".
5. Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.
6. Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.
7. Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately. You're all set! Now when ever your Print Spooler craps out, it will automatically reset itself.

When I get to #7 AND CLICK START it still says this :

ERROR 1068:THE DEPENDENCY SERVICE OR GROUP FAILED TO START.

I tried doing this a couple times and it does not work. I made sure the boxes have 1 in them (#5) and clicked OK (#6).

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not have anything.Bill,

Most of the things you mentioned I don't understand yet. I have read it over several times and I need an interpreter.

It sounds like you do not have a printer installed (and you are missing the printer install icon)--or are looking in the wrong place

So, you press "Start", "Settings", "Printers and Faxes" and see nothing? If folder is blank--we have a problem. The contents were accidently erased or some other problem(s). At the top of the folder, you should be able to click on "File", "Add Printer" and follow the instructions... (If you are using USB or some other types of connections--you should just plug in the printer and turn it on for the computer to recognize it)...

Have you ever had the printer working on this computer? How do you connect to the printer, USB, LPT Parallel Port, Ethernet Cable, etc.?

The TCP/IP NetBios stuff--nothing to worry about right now--it is used on a home network to share files between computers over Ethernet (and possibly for sharing printers over your local network)--if you are not doing that right now--no need to check those settings.

-Bill

colubrid

Enlightened
So, you press "Start", "Settings", "Printers and Faxes" and see nothing? If folder is blank--we have a problem. The contents were accidently erased or some other problem(s). At the top of the folder, you should be able to click on "File", "Add Printer" and follow the instructions... (If you are using USB or some other types of connections--you should just plug in the printer and turn it on for the computer to recognize it)...

I had a printer installed and it was erased. I try to install another printer disc and that is when I get a spooler notice from the download disc. It will not allow me to install a new printer unless the spooler service is turned on. It says something like this (note this is from the disc that comes with the printer):

"You do not have spooler service turned on. Would you like to install the printer spooler? click YES or NO." I click yes and nothing happens.

I also have no idea how the printer got erased. I have been having problems since installing Norton 360 like when everytime i shut down my computer it erases cookies, history ect.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume that without a printer installed the spooler problem is secondary right now (no printer, not printing possible).

Personally, I used to like Norton Desktop and stuff (starting with Window 3.1), But a decade or so I stopped with any of those types of customizing add-ins (assuming that Norton 360 has those functions too) because of weirdnesses with the OS, OS upgrades, and incompatibilities with other programs.

You should probably uninstall Norton 360 completely (again--assuming that it is more than just anti-virus/firewall software) and either install just the AV/Firewall portion (or just AV and use Windows Firewall--or, to try something else until you get the print stuff functional, try a free AV program like AVG; recommended by other around here, I am using and it seems to work OK--I am pretty virus free so not many notifications/cleanups to attest as to how well it works).

Norton is sometimes very sticky to remove and they have a special download that cleans up the mess left behind. Here is a link to what I used a year or so ago--you may need to check for a later version.

Try that and see if you can get your printing problem resolved... Also, you did not say how you connect the printer in the first place (USB, LPT, Network, etc.)...

-Bill

PS: FireFox (web browser) has also sorts of cookie/cache/history/etc. options. I am sure that IE has similar settings. I would avoid using other programs to try and do these functions.

If you are interested in security/privacy, it is pretty difficult to achieve because of all the other scraps left behind on the hard disk. You really almost need something like a whole disk encryption and/or wipe empty space to achieve anything useful for an OS that writes to a hard disk (like this or others).

Illum

Flashaholic
Norton antivirus is by far the most irritating antivirus software I've ever used...you essentially have to reformat to get it off

BB, I didn't know a [third party?] software existed to remove Norton:ohgeez:

Latest posts