Nasty weather in north/central California

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's rainy & very windy here in Sacramento CA. USA (sustained winds at ~40mph (~64.37kph) with gusts to ~75mph (~120.70kph)); I heard on the news that some of the mountain peaks in the area have seen winds of ~200mph (~321.86kph).
So if you live in northern or north/central California, you'll want to be especially careful today.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's scary. I'm waiting for this storm to get to us in So. Cal. The weather predictions thus far are many hours off. :(

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got sent home. We lost power, the intranet, and phone service. The office was nice and dark and I got to goof off with my 6P helping all the damsels in distress! All my loaner lights got snagged and put into use. There was only one other person in the office who had a working flashlight. I have alot of second tier lights at work. So they were all handed out.

I did not however loan out the E2e and Arc AAA DS in my emergancy kit. All my loaner lights were dropped at least once.

Non-flashaholics, you can't live with them, you can't live without them...

Empath

Flashaholic
This isn't a California only event. Likely though, that's all the news will mention.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The power is out at my dad's office (he came home) and my friend's house. We've still got power, though (my friend says that it's because I have so many flashlights - Murphy's Law and all). It's really raining. I kind of wanted to pick up a package at the post office, though (Crees)...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I heard about fifteen minutes ago that the control tower at Sacramento Executive Airport got blown over, and that an airplane at the same facility got picked up off the tarmac and deposited in a ditch because of the wind.

Here's my view of this storm:

rain0.jpg

Nothing to write home about...o wait!!! I *am* home!!! ;)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that looks not fun.

6z3xhko.gif

Looks like it extends up thru at least the Rogue Valley in OR just based on the radar images. I'll have to go track down a satellite image next.
It's pretty quiet up north.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's just a light to moderate rain here at the moment, (Ventura/Los Angeles county line) I can see the darker clouds to the North of me over the ocean..often when the fronts come through they break in half right in front of my house - some of the storm goes East, some goes south, and a big hole of blue sky appears -- it's a wierd micro-climate here. not much wind either , yet.
much more rain is predicted for tomorrow..

da.gee

Enlightened
We're getting it here in Portland, OR. Lots of wind but not so much rain yet. A very bad time for garbage night. I had to bring mine in. Neighbors should do the same as I see a lot of stuff blowing around out there. Maybe the power will go out?!?! A flashaholics redemption!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
West coast weather assault: Guess you might get to use those new lights!

Hope all you guys on the west coast fair well. You've had enough already. You may get a chance to use some of those new lights that Santa brought :santa:. Are the 18650s charged, or are you on primaries and AAs? What lights do you have at the ready? Good luck with the storm. I hope nobody gets hurt.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fence blew down. At least no trees came through my house, several hit houses and fortunately no one was hurt.

We usually have storms every year with high wind gusts but this was the worst in my 18 years here. 40 mph sustained with gusts at 69 in my immediate area.
I have been through the 94/95 and 97 pineapple express flood storms and at least for now there is no serious flooding, hopefully the next wave due in tonight won't cause much.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
3.8" and still falling heavily. I heard a command on the local police channel go out just now: "To all units, take off your tasers and put them in the car. Do not wear your tasers in the rain."

Groundhog66

Banned
Many trees down in my neighborhood, luckily not any of mine.

Question......Doesn't ANYONE in CA plant a tree that accumulates a good root base so it takes more than a stuff wind to blow it down....?:poke:

Tim

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do, but with high winds and saturated soil...............timber.

Palm trees are amazing, the have little drag and their very simple yet effective root base works wonders.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we haven't really had much up here. Winds were picking up a bit this evening but it hasn't shown up nearly as bad as the weather-people were predicting. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Empath

Flashaholic
Where I am, which is inside, it's more like a typical wind storm. I can hear the wind howling, occasionally hear something blow against the house, and hear a downpour going on.

What I'm seeing on local TV, is trees down, high water, pictures of semi trucks blown over and such. On the coast it's reported that they are again getting 100+ MPH winds for the second time in the last three weeks. There's only one reported death so far; a lady was killed when a tree fell on her car. Walla Walla, Washington has suffered damages as bad as if a tornado had gone through. The claim is that damage is extensive, and the pictures they show are scenes that appear to validate their claim.

What I'm seeing on national TV is reports that the storm involves central California up to northern California. It too seems to be a serious storm. I don't know all they're saying, because I don't leave the station on the national news. It seems to be missing something, so I turn back to a northwest news channel

Balcony12

Newly Enlightened
I know I shouldn't complain, but most of my neighborhood is without power for several blocks to the east of me, and I managed to end up on the side of the street that gets power. All my neighbors across the street are dark, and I end up right on the dividing line:sigh:. Oh well, I guess I should just be happy I can get on the internet and spend my time on CPF:twothumbs

verbie

Enlightened
wow, scary. stay safe people. the weather here in houston is bizarre too. mid 70's in mid winter :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.