P2D Strobe susposed to do what?

passive101

Enlightened
I tried the strobe out on myself in the mirror of the bathroom. Maybe it's because I train to fix myself on a target etc, but it didn't disorientate me in any way.

It is incredibly annoying though! I will give it that for sure. Are there any studies done with the strobe or anything?

Even while it was blinding me I had no problems keeping my sights on a target.

I do not have night sights either.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Try having been in the dark for at least 45 minutes then doing the mirror strobe. Pain...

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
the strobes are for riding bike at night. but I PERSONALLY think it's for you to save the day when the strobe light at a party dies and you happens to have your flashlight in ur pocket. You can really save the day! never happen to me yet, still waiting for that day.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used it to get my wife's attention a couple times when I was at a distance. It will attract attention more than a steady light source would.

As L.E.D. mentioned, did you sit around for awhile in a completely dark room and give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness before strobing yourself?

passive101

Enlightened
the strobes are for riding bike at night. but I PERSONALLY think it's for you to save the day when the strobe light at a party dies and you happens to have your flashlight in ur pocket. You can really save the day! never happen to me yet, still waiting for that day.

I did read a thread where someone did just that lol.

nobita

Newly Enlightened
Your body was anticipating the strobe effects even before you pressed that botton, thus it was minimized. The strobe should be used as a surprise.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
The frequency of the Fenix strobe is really too low to be effective as a disorientation tool. It's really more of a "fast blink" than a "strobe" - semantics, sure, but still. Shame, really. I'd love to figure a way to mod them up just a few hertz....

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
A strobe light is highly noticeable and beneficial in any situation where you need to gain attention. I've used mine when crossing a 4 lane highway at night and, much to her chagrin, signaling to my wife when we get separated in the store:)

While you may not be disoriented by it, I myself get dizzy if I use the strobe in an enclosed area. Also be aware that flashing light can trigger seizures, so be careful.

OceanView

Enlightened
It's really more of a "fast blink" than a "strobe" - semantics, sure, but still.
I agree. I think it's confusing for consumers when they don't know what to expect from the strobe mode on the products they're buying--is it meant more for signaling or more for "tactical" uses?

passive101

Enlightened
I wanted it as an EDC light that was more useful to me. The strobe is just fun to play with :)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted it as an EDC light that was more useful to me. The strobe is just fun to play with :)
I get your point! they can be useful in many ways,like some have said i.e getting someones attention in a crowd,also getting noticed at a distance.
But for tactical purposes they work best when there is hardly any light around.:D

paulr

Flashaholic
The strobe is for signalling. The supposed disorientation effect is some marketeer's fantasy.

Supernam

Enlightened
It's so that one day when you get promoted from a mall ninja to head mall ninja, you can ambush an unsuspecting tango with you Fenix in hand and strobe the motherF'er until he cringes in fetal position while having epileptic seizure-like spasms and convulses until you grant him mercy. DUH.

jeffreyliu838

Newly Enlightened
I think the strobe is more of an attention grabbing function than a knock someone out function. After all, on the Fenix site, they list how many days it can be used for survival.